The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anthelcide wormer (Oxibendazole) caused everyone to get sick!

I've been using the rotational 2 month worming schedule for 15 years........and every summer I gave Anthelcide. I gave all my horses a dose last night.......and everyone has really bad"cow paddy" poop!.......Then one of my horses coliced tonight........

This has never happened before.............strange!! He seems better now after Bannamine, a burp and a cow paddy.....

Anyone else had such a strong reaction to a wormer (this is 11 horses who ALL were the same)
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Wow, very interesting. I gave my gelding anthelcide on June 1st. He went off his feed June 2nd. Vet had to be called on June 4th. He was okay after being tubed, but I wondered if the wormer was to blame. He has never been sick before.

I'd be contacting the company with the batch and expiration dates. Most likely they were all the same, and for such a mild chemical (relatively speaking) to cause a reaction in all horses, I would strongly suspect something amiss with the batch. For future reference as well, you might want to rethink the 8 week schedule Oxibendazole is pretty ineffective for most things now, being most effective in a 1.5x dose for pinworms, and combined with pyrantel pamoate for more effectiveness than either alone. But mostly, it's about not *needing* to deworm so often.

1 members found this post helpful.

my horses have always been a bit sick after using Anthlecide. Not just this year. But I too noticed it this year.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

You might want to brush up on new deworming techniques too. Rotational worming is no longer recommended and is, in fact, discouraged.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

I have only occasionally over the years used oxibendazole , but have never had an issue with it.

I'm well aware that testing for worms is preferred. It gets expensive when you have a farm full of horses though.........
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

How many do you have? Could you manage testing 1/4-1/2 of them once a year, so you get everyone tested at least every 2 years, maybe even every year? If so, you could do that, and then deworm based on those results, which SHOULD put you closer to deworming everyone just twice a year. If you use Quest Plus in the Spring, that will get you 12 weeks of treatment. Using Equimax in the Fall will get you another 8 weeks, so that's 5 whole months of coverage. You might find a few horses, if you have enough, have a high enough FEC at the end of Summer or Winter, to where they'd need a 3rd deworming. In the end, 2-3 dewormings, with the proper chemicals, is far cheaper than 6 dewormings which are already including chemicals that likely aren't remotely killing the strongyles

I didn't realize they only needed to be tested once a year or so.............?????
    We're in Florida, so we probably have worms year around since we don't get enough cold to kill them.

My horses seldom graze anyplace but home, and usually have their own pastures (with a friend or two)......does that help?

P.S. They are all back to being fine.........just 24 hours of cow paddies and one colic that resolved with one shot of bannamine.

Well, the ideal is you test everyone Spring and Fall, prior to those dewormings. But, if $$ is an issue (and I get it that it can be with a bit enough herd) then if you test half in the Spring, and the other half in the Fall, and deworm *everyone* based on those results (not ideal, but not too terribly bad) then you can still cut net costs.

You will indeed have more problems with worms than many other parts of the country, but that doesn't automatically mean you need to deworm everyone every 8 weeks. With 2 dewormings covering 5 months of the year, that leaves you 7 months "unprotected" and really, horses are actually not too bad at taking care of most worms via their own immune system. It's about the 80/20 rule - the fewest % of the horses account for the majority of the parasite shedding issue. The highest % of horses are low shedders, meaning their immune system is working well.

So, that's at least something to consider, and just see how it goes. You WILL need to target tapeworms twice a year, so the Quest Plus in the Spring (for anyone old enough and with enough weight) and Equimax in the Fall will do that.

I put ZERO faith in the fecal tests.

To get an accurate test one would need to take all of the test subject's feces from an entire day and vortex it to get a homogeneous mixture for testing.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

One FEC does not make or break a program. They have proven extremely reliable over a population of horses in all the studies done over all these years, and when done regularly enough, while you might have some false low/0 counts, the higher counts don't lie.

If you can come up with a better program that will help preserve the precious few broad spectrum dewormers we have, while still figuring out how to deworm as often as necessary *but as little as possible*, I'm sure the many parasitilogists who have been studying this for a few decades would love to hear about it

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I put ZERO faith in the fecal tests.

To get an accurate test one would need to take all of the test subject's feces from an entire day and vortex it to get a homogeneous mixture for testing.
    I totally agree with this. Having once taken a short cut of using fecal samples from one animal instead of two. And the vet said one had worms and one did not. Uh the feces were from the same animal!

I use anthelcideEQ in my rotational worming as SE coastal GA is worm city. it has always caused more cow patties in the summer than in the winter (when we used to have winter), but it has never made my horses sick in all the time I've used it. Including in May. I don't like to use it when it is 90+ degrees, as it really "cleans out" my horses. I do give mine lots of gatorade and their soaked feed before I give them any wormer, so that they have a lot of fluid in their stomaches and guts, and have food in there as well. BEOFRE the wormer goes into them.

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    I didn't realize they only needed to be tested once a year or so.............?????
    We're in Florida, so we probably have worms year around since we don't get enough cold to kill them.

My horses seldom graze anyplace but home, and usually have their own pastures (with a friend or two)......does that help?

P.S. They are all back to being fine.........just 24 hours of cow paddies and one colic that resolved with one shot of bannamine.
    Cold doesn't kill them. Dry does. But Florida is never that dry.

In passing, I haven't used oxybendazole in years, and years.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I totally agree with this. Having once taken a short cut of using fecal samples from one animal instead of two. And the vet said one had worms and one did not. Uh the feces were from the same animal!
    As I said above, single samples don't tell a whole story, especially on the negative side of things. It's just not that difficult to get a bad sample, store it improperly, or just happen to grab a sample that is clean. That's why a history needs to be built. If I were taking a first sample of a horse, maybe even 2nd or 3rd, and it was clean, I would absolutely re-do a test in a week or two just to be sure. The odds of continued false negatives go down dramatically.

I use anthelcideEQ in my rotational worming as SE coastal GA is worm city.
    Given it's high resistance issues with strongyles - proven through many, many studies - why bother?

it has always caused more cow patties in the summer than in the winter (when we used to have winter), but it has never made my horses sick in all the time I've used it. Including in May. I don't like to use it when it is 90+ degrees, as it really "cleans out" my horses. I do give mine lots of gatorade and their soaked feed before I give them any wormer, so that they have a lot of fluid in their stomaches and guts, and have food in there as well. BEOFRE the wormer goes into them.
    Dewormers ideally get used on empty stomachs for the highest efficacy you could garner. Practicality doesn't generally make that possible.

It's not a terribly effective dewormer except at a 1.5x dose for pinworms.

This is about the science, not opinions.