The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Maybe they're an art student.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Maybe they're an art student.
    Creative Writing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I don't think they're the same horse, necessarily. I think there are a lot of draft crosses out there named diesel. Or deisel. Or maybe diesle?

About as common as that quality of writing in freshman classes, alas. Proofreading is truly a lost art. ("I wrote it--you expect me to READ it, too??")
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    OT but for you college professors who get papers/labs in this type of format, what do you do with them? Is it an immediate failing grade or do you actually push yourself to grade it?
    I'm not sure I've ever had one that bad, but it either a.) gets so marked with red that it looks like I slaughtered a pig over it, or b.) goes back to be re-written w/o a grade. Just depends on how much effort I feel like putting into it that day.

How does this happen with all the tests students are given in elementary through high school? Do they not have a writing portion? You'd think it would at least show up on SATs. Do colleges not require an essay?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

My daughter is 15 and a high school sophmore. English is not her best subject but even she can write and spell better than this. In fact, when I use text speech in a text, she corrects me and tells me to "text like a grownup". Even when using a smart phone its not that hard to use correct spelling and grammar.

1 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    OT but for you college professors who get papers/labs in this type of format, what do you do with them? Is it an immediate failing grade or do you actually push yourself to grade it?
    I get very few that are this bad, but had one that was close last semester. Somehow the same student got an A and a B in English 1 and 2 (freshman-level English). I don't think the same person wrote the papers for those classes, but I was using Turnitin so maybe he was worried.

I circle the errors if grading by hand but don't write what is wrong. On Turnitin there are canned comments about commonly-used errors that you can drag and drop all over the paper and you can also write your own. There is also a feature that automatically corrects grammar and spelling, but it works not even as well as spell check does on lab reports so I ended up turning it off. I was getting rid of more incorrect corrections than I was keeping.

If it's so bad that it affects the point they're trying to make, then I might take off a small amount, like 0.5 to 1.0 point on a 10-point lab report. If I comment, but don't take anything off, then it never gets fixed and it is amazing what pre-med types will do for even 0.1 point.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    How does this happen with all the tests students are given in elementary through high school? Do they not have a writing portion? You'd think it would at least show up on SATs. Do colleges not require an essay?
    Not all. Mine didn't. The application was 1 page, if you could sign it, preferably in cursive, you were in. I think an "X" would do though. This was a bunch of years ago, so not a recent trend.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    My daughter is 15 and a high school sophmore. English is not her best subject but even she can write and spell better than this. In fact, when I use text speech in a text, she corrects me and tells me to "text like a grownup". Even when using a smart phone its not that hard to use correct spelling and grammar.

good kid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

How does this happen with all the tests students are given in elementary through high school? Do they not have a writing portion?
    This is sarcasm, right?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

I do NOT understand how it happens. I joke that I can’t spell to save my life. I went through series of test in middle school, and the best they could come up with is that I must have some sort of dyslexia. I can manage just fine in other areas, but have a hard time spelling (and not writing letters backwards).
    I've been out of grade school more years that I want to count but my mother still blames phonics (taught in the 70s and 80s) for my inability to spell.

I have some kids who are terrible at writing but can perfectly vocalize what they mean and sound better than some of the kids who are earning As and Bs on their papers. We work with a special ed team to focus on writing skills in those cases. However, most of the time they are still passed on to the next grade because they earn enough credit from other assignments. This is because they know the content well but they can't always explain it in writing. In my opinion, this is why I would like to see separate reading and writing classes.

I also have a specific student in mind when I write this and he is on an IEP so that makes a difference.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

1. A lot of cheating
    2. A lot of parents doing homework for the kids
    3. A lot of flunking of tests
    4. A lot of school inflating grades
    5. A lot of looking the other way

Won't it be great when these kids are our doctors, lawyers, and presidents? LOL.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

The standardized tests that I deal with in my area of the country have dropped the essay test, and that was the BEST thing to happen to writing as a discipline. The writing that was rewarded had LITTLE to do with thought, argument, etc.; it was all about pretty grammar. Now, I love-love grammar, but in an essay there needs to be some spark of intelligent discourse behind it.

Many of the colleges still require entrance essays, but the community colleges do not.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

I think it's because kids don't READ any more! I read constantly when I was young, from 1971 at birth to 1989 when I went to college. I did not make a lot of mistakes and I wasn't writing on a daily basis where it didn't matter what I wrote (text, email). I can see now on my posts here and email and facebook the bar gets dropped, by myself, I have a tendency to not use caps b/c frankly it hurts my arthritic little finger to hit that shift button! lol gads how the mighty fall.

But I homeschooled my kids for five years and we read read read read read books and I swear you just get that imprinted in your head what is right and what is not right. My kids naturally are correct.

But boy the internet makes it easy to be lax! I'm not proud of myself!

I think the "shift" key is being phased out. In my job I end up correcting data input that will eventually show up on legal documents. Lower-case proper nouns, and spelling that isn't even close. It makes me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    This is sarcasm, right?
    Actually, yes it was. Absurd. The SAT and essay I don't get, though. And then, how on earth do they get through Eng.Comp 101?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    1. A lot of cheating
    2. A lot of parents doing homework for the kids
    3. A lot of flunking of tests
    4. A lot of school inflating grades
    5. A lot of looking the other way

Won't it be great when these kids are our doctors, lawyers, and presidents? LOL.

LOL, what do you call a doctor who graduates at the bottom of his/her class?

Doctor.

One thing that frustrates me as a teacher is an increasing number of students who are unable or unwilling to transfer knowledge! So I will get a lab report full of errors from a student who gets "As" in language arts (LA). When asked, the student is often offended that I expect proper grammar and spelling since it isnt LA. Some students can even pass tests on editing and grammar, yet will not even apply it to LA papers.
    And, yes, it is beyond frustrating that many parents excuse this.

Subject area teachers (not LA) have a difficult line to travel - assessing the students knowledge and performance in the subject while not enabling ignorant and lazy habits.