The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Call me Crazy.... ;)

So- I just got off the phone with an "animal communicator/ psychic" just for fun! Some gals around the barn have done it and since it wasnt exspensive i figured why not!

Well-- she had some suggestions for me. She said my horse was having an acidy stomach in the upper digestion and a supplement called ABC plus will help her, and to replace my Platinum Performance with it. She also told me to give her ABC's fortified mineral system which are blocks of minerals horses can choose to use or not. I have a lot of platnium left and i do not want to go buying these exspenive supplements because I am somewhat skeptical. Like, how does this lady know my horse wihtout ever meeting her? lol

She also said to use these drops called "Rescue Remedy" that will ease her stress and to put them in her water and on her bit before riding. She also said to rub peppermint oil on her right hock and cornet bands, and lavender oil on her nose.

Thoughts?? Should i invest in this ABC mineral system and supplement? Has anyone ever tried it before??

Sounds like your 'animal communicator' is nothing more than a sales rep for ABC Plus and Rescue Remedy.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

7 members found this post helpful.

You would seriously switch your horses supplements because a animal communicator you don't know told you to? Sounds like she works for ABC Personally she sounds looney to me .....who rubs lavender on their horses nose
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, lavender oil is used in aroma therapy for relaxation, so it seems possible it could help a nervous horse. It is used for humans, dogs and cats. Just don't put it on the part of the nose that they dip into their water or feed tub.

I don't think I would switch suppliments based on the call alone, but would it hurt to compare ingredients and see if there is something in the ABC stuff that yours is missing? Is ABC perhaps a regionally made suppliment that addresses issues with your local soil?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

lol i thought this too!! I was like uhhh she sure is promoting ABC a lot which is a little sketchy! But, my mare just moved to a new barn from AZ to CA and although i gave her ulcer guard, I should probably have her on a gut supplement anyways considered she is stress prone which can cause ulcers, esepcially in a new environment! ABC sounds like its a good all natural product and gets five stars on Smartpak!

[QUOTE=CHT;6768765]Well, lavender oil is used in aroma therapy for relaxation, so it seems possible it could help a nervous horse."

I am going to try it!! I could see what shes saying in a way although it seems a little funky lol

but hey, life is short! maybe she will like it and ill be glad i tried it!

I have a feeling I know who this is, and if it is, she is notorious for recommending all sorts of odd supplements for "acidy" stomachs, "sludge" in their intestines, and various and a sundry other so called issues. One of my boarders fell for it hook, line, and sinker for awhile and was changing her horse's multitude of supplements practically monthly. She was spending a FORTUNE on supplements (I don't think ABC was one of them, though!).

Her other insights were interesting and at times spot on. Although, one time she said the horse LOVED her tack, and the very next time (a month or so later) she said the horse hated the tack.

Fun, yes, and can be very insightful and eye opening for some things. But I would not be taking feeding and equipment advice from anyone but my vet and/or coach.

Buy this book instead:
    http://www.amazon.com/People-Believe...e+weird+things

Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time by Michael Shermer

It has a great chapter on how to do 'cold reading' so that anyone can say things in a way that EVERYONE considers it very a very accurate assessment of their current situation. IT's because people forget the inaccurate stuff. Its also cheaper than the recommended supplements and will pay for itself many times over during your lifetime.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just saw this, and I would never suggest a particular supplement for an issue...I might suggest ulcergard/gastrogard for an ulcer issue. If you asked for her opinion on supplements, then that is different. Otherwise, it boarders on diagnosing (which is not legal unless you are a Vet)
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Let me guess--your horse is either a bay, a gray, or a chestnut . . . and may or may not have some white markings, too. And wait . . . a psychic vision appears . . . you just moved barns and she is not happy with her jumping.

Speculating that a horse might have acid in its stomach, wow . . . that sure is going out on a limb.

That money that I have in my pocket that I *could* spend on things with no value? I keep it in my pocket. Then I can spend it on things that are genuinely "fun" and do not perpetuate the ridiculous practice of cold reading.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Even if she can 'communicate' with your horse, how does that have anything to do with her supplement recommendations? Unless your horse has been doing research on which supplement he prefers, this lady sounds less like an 'animal communicator' and more like a complete fruitbat.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

What I don't get is how horses know our language and can say things to these communicators that they really have no idea exists.

I saw one on Youtube who said the horse wanted to show in Florida. How does the horse even know there is a show circuit in Florida?? Give me a break.

Platinum Performance is a top-notch company. Their products are well-researched and have a good track record. Why you'd switch from that product on the basis of what an animal communicator thought is beyond me. Even if she WERE communicating with your horse how would the horse know about ABC supplements? Been reading the Smartpak catalog in his stall at night?
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Her other insights were interesting and at times spot on. Although, one time she said the horse LOVED her tack, and the very next time (a month or so later) she said the horse hated the tack.
    Was the horse a mare? If so, it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind .

OP, if you're taking this lady seriously, you are crazy. To quote Tim Minchin's Storm, "reading auras is like reading minds, or tea leaves, or star signs, or meridian lines; these people aren't plying a skill, they're either lying or mentally ill."
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I want to know why the animal communicators of the world don't all get together and tell all the poor horses standing starving in dirt lots to simply jump the fence and go get some grass. The fact that horses on their own DON'T, of course, being ample evidence that their brain power does not go far enough to allow high level communicating with other beings in my view. Horses have brains the size of graprefruits, with virtually no "language" part.

This kind of thing is purely to soothe/stroke the psyche of the communicator and his/her victims/clients. The animal involved is an innocent bystander.
    Last edited by deltawave; Jan. 9, 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    . . .
    I saw one on Youtube who said the horse wanted to show in Florida. How does the horse even know there is a show circuit in Florida?? Give me a break.
    The horses that show in Florida tell the dogs that live at their stables. The dogs put that information in PEE Mail that is transported on the tires of the farrier's truck. This is how information is passed from farm to farm all over the country. I thought everybody knew that?

We had one at our barn that told owner that her horse ....liked apples.

I think many communicators are partially like a fortune cookie and part like a street beggar... you will breath today... well yeah..... and if they stand around asking for a few pennies long enough they may make a good living.....

They say things that will probably help many horses because many horses show and stall confinement may be stressed and have stomach issues....

It's more for entertainment value...
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

goofy internet today - double post.....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

It's more for entertainment value...
    I've never seen any AC promote their service this way. They all seem to take themselves quite seriously.