The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yuck! Peeing in trailer: management ideas?

OK, the nearly perfect new horse pees in the trailer. Almost every time we go anywhere.
    Barn has sawdust bedding, and I've been putting that in to soak it up, but of course if trailer is not parked level, it runs into whatever corner and pools. Blech.

What should I do longterm? I had thought of either getting some kind of super absorbent (not necessarily horse) bedding and using it more aggressively....
    or should I just give up and install Rumber flooring (how much does this cost, anyway?)? I have an equispirit with rubber mats....

sigh.
    I guess there had to be a catch somewhere....
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

If this is your biggest issue with your new horse, consider yourself very lucky.

10 members found this post helpful.

I know, I know, I know. He is adorable, talented, sweet, well behaved, coming along in his training, vetted with no ifs ands or buts, gets along with everyone....
    and he pees in the trailer. Usually before I even get out the driveway.
    I love him but oy!

His new little brother

LOL, my husband does things that I find annoying too...but I still keep him around.

Congrats on your new boy and enjoy getting to know him better!

Teach him to pee on command and have him do it before he gets on. If he's an OTTB who had any success at all he may already know how.
    Click here before you buy.

I thought they all did that when they got in the trailer! I just use the most absorbent shavings I can find.

As far as your floor, rumber would be awesome. If you have wood planking you may be able to remove it and replace with rumber. I replaced boards in my old Trailet (which I believe would be similar to your Equispirit depending on age). It was not easy, but was doable.

Pee on command? I had no idea you could do this (I am so not an OTTB person -- I am totally the wrong kind of rider for them...). How, pray tell?
    He does tend to do it right away when he gets on so...

Will also look into how much Rumber would be.....

His new little brother

Just bed the trailer with shavings, sawdust or pre-wetted pellets and let him be. When you get home, park the trailer where you can give it a quick hose out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by UlysMom View Post
    LOL, my husband does things that I find annoying too...but I still keep him around.

Congrats on your new boy and enjoy getting to know him better!
    OMG! At first I thought that you were about to say that your husband pees in the trailer.... Sorry, it's been a long week.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

6 members found this post helpful.

He is very cute. If he is an OTTB, they learn to go to a whistle usually. If not, use positive conditioning, like with a dog. Catch him peeing, whistle or say "pee", give him a carrot. Keep doing that and then see if you can get him to pee when you whistle.

I haven't done it - but I know people who have.

Basically - any time the horse goes to urinate (and you are around, might be best a show or somewhere you are spending lots of time with the horse) - ring a bell, or whistle (or what ever your "cue" is going to be).

When he is done with his business, praise him.

Repeat repeat repeat.

Eventually they associate the whistle with urinating and praise. And will urinate "on command" at the sound of the whistle.

Honestly - while I knew some pony clubbers that were able to teach their horses, I think you would need to be at the barn all the time to make this work (like a groom with a TB). If you are like me, and go to the barn once a day for a few hours, I can't imagine you would be successful.

I would just put a couple of inches of bedding on the floor. It should just absorb it right up, and you'll be able to scoop out a forkful or so of wet bedding each trailer trip. If he's got kinda sensitive airways (like Toby....shocking), sweep it back so it's mostly under his under carriage.

If he's a BIG pee-er, I would sweep the shavings away from the wet spot every time and let the floor dry, then just pull them back down next time you haul him somewhere.

I honestly have a friend who brings her horses out of their stalls to pee every night before lights out...to save cleaning in the morning! She whistles that certain majical whistle they use at the track.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    OMG! At first I thought that you were about to say that your husband pees in the trailer.... Sorry, it's been a long week.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    LOL! If only that's all he did...

OK, I'm struggling not to lose focus with the husband peeing in the trailer image...

I have been bedding, scooping, and hosing. It's just SO MUCH MORE WORK than for a horse who never pees in there. He's not an OTTB so we'd be starting from scratch there.

I guess I need to use more bedding - I put a strategically placed pile under his back end today, but we were parked on a very slight downhill slope, and the pee instantly ran away from the pile and into the front of the trailer, pooling under and around my muck bucket, so when I got home I had to pull THAT out and wash the bottom and air dry everything.

This will get old very fast in the winter.

His new little brother

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Pelleted bedding is VERY absorbent, much better than shavings or sawdust. It is a bit more high maintenance than shavings or sawdust, in that it needs to be dampened before use but it is much less dusty and better suited to a trailer. Plus because it is like clumping cat litter the mess stays more in one spot. You can certainly put some in a 5 gallon bucket, make it damp enough that the pellets expand and spread in the trailer the night before. One bag of pellets is more than enough for a trailer. You can always put the hose in the bag to make them damp then wait a bit before spreading it out.

In any event, you need a good amount of any bedding to catch the amount of liquid a horse lets loose. That really sounds like your issue. You need more beddding.

Dry bedding will not ruin a trailer floor. You can air out the poop and pee spot during the show and then when you get home get rid of the wet and again spread out the dry for next time. Or you can store the clean bedding in the empty muck bucket in the trailer. This way it does not touch the floor.
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry but I don t see the issue or need for Rumbar.. The floor is most likely number 2 pressure treated pine highly water n pee resistant has drain holes . I would be more worried if the horse didn t pee and held it...put down absorb ant bedding a big pile and occasionally remove your mats n hose the floor....you can also check with the manufacture .....it's all good...

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, guys. I was driving home today imagining the pee seeping into my wooden floor and eating it away...of course it is well checked every year but we all have our phobias.
    Ctab, I like the pelleted bedding idea - that's exactly what I want. I'll hit up Southern States and see what they have. Thanks for the implementation advice...l
    And then go back to enjoying my otherwise quite lovable new pony...

His new little brother

My OTTB gelding pees every morning when I bring him into his stall. I've taken to just putting a muck tub under him when he stretches out, then dumping it outside. Could you do that or is your horse not quite so predictable?
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

This reminds me of a show we (my trainer and most of her students) went to not so long ago. We had just pulled out of the show facility. My trainer was driving the trailer ahead of us, with the rest of us crammed in her van (driven by her husband) or our own cars. I was in the car directly behind the trailer. Just as we were pulling out, we saw a stream of yellow liquid coming out the back left corner of the trailer. The stream gradually grew steadier and steadier. The poor horse must have been holding it for quite a while, because it lasted for a long time!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~