The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I think the mare is gorgeous, and I think the price is maybe a little high. Maybe not. I havent seen her move. However, in selling OTTBs in the past, I have found the chestnut mares much harder to sell. Had a very similar mare, in size, color, and build. Really nice quality horse, and it was like pulling teeth to get someone to buy her. Then again, she did have a particular way of torturing people when they got on to try her. After that experience, I don't think I will buy another chestnut mare. Lovely as she was to look at, her temperament was lacking. I'm not saying someone else shouldn't buy her though, she looks like she's going to be awesome. Seriously...who is going to get her??

Isabeau you are so far from the mark you fell off the grid...1st I have ZERO financial interest in the horse.....I got to see her 2 times when I was picking up horses at Penn...and to clarify a point...the trainer is female and one of the leading trainers at Penn with a full barn and a full training center down the road...This trainer actually likes her horses and is hands on...I would have bought the mare but I have 14 sale horses of whom 1 is a chestnut mare. The trainer isn't going to do a video I have never know her to do a video for anyone..but maybe you can ask the CANTER volunteers if you are serious buyer.
    I like this horse and red mares gets a bad rap and frequently over looked. This forum offers the opportunity to showcase her a larger audience.
    Oh and I so disagree with your assessment of WB...why do you think they have such a large TB influence...if you have no interest in this mare and since you clearly did no research into the trainer why are you so bent on bashing everyone who likes the horse...clearly you are the lone voice if dissent and getting more lonely by the minute...I don't think this trainer needs my help emptying her barn she has plenty of outlets. Nor have I ever promoted a over at knee down hill unsound horse..I wouldn't buy one so why would I sell one. Is abeam you have seen my Facebook and website you have seen photo and video of what I sell so you know it's not track trash.
    I also have sold a number of chestnut fillies to such trainers as Phyliss Dawson and Julie Richards to name just 2...a good horse is a good horse even if it has spots and is Sky Blue Pink.

4 members found this post helpful.

Default 3 things...

1. lovely mare
    2. posted price does not mean that she is not negotiable
    3. someone could get a video of her galloping if they are still excercising her (which most folks do). I have racehorses and have sold many at the track and off the track. I completely understand why the trainer would not want to do a video - a lot of times there is not a good place to do it on the backside and a lot of times the person doing the video does not capture good movement, or the surface prevents it, or the horse cuts up and gets injured. A bad video is worse than no video. A lot if times these horses go head up and choppy - as much due to the handler (my husband who is a trainer drives me NUTS with sales pictures and vidoes - always pushing the head up and getting in front of the horse so it will not stride out). Most race people absolutely do not know or understand what you are looking for - you will get the opposite, and unless you are a true horseperson who is used to looking at race fit TBs jog, it can be ugly. Some of my best movers at times look like pogo sticks and it can be very frustrating when trying to show them for a buyer. I find the best view of a horse is to walk with it from the barn to the track, watch it jog the wrong way (heading clockwise on the track) and then see then turn and gallop the right way. You'll get walk, trot and canter that way. Most trainers will let you know when they are galloping that horse and you can have someone video that whole process.

I do not think the price is too high as long as she is as she seems - lovely mare.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not in the market but do think she is pretty nice looking.

I want to know why people who want to gripe about every post in the thread can not seem to learn how to multiple quote?

3 members found this post helpful.

Isabeau- if you don't like or appreciate ottb's than just don't post on these threads. Really it is just that simple. I appreciate these threads because if one more horse gets a home because somebody called attention to them than it makes me super happy.

I appreciate Pat saying she saw the horse in person and it is 100x better than the photo so that people who may have been on the fence might be inclined to just drive up to see the horse. I don't find the price high. To get a big, sound, good looking, athletic and talented horse you are going to have to pay for it. I am not saying cheap horses always have something wrong but often trainers know when they have something nice and they are not discounting the price. That being said cash + trailer does wonders for negotiating power

I sell a lot of ottb's and the market is supporting the sales. There is no lack of demand for a nice TB regardless of what you may think and I will tell you that those who are truly very nice are being sold for a good chunk of change. Heck, those of us resell are competing for the same types of horses to buy. Good luck trying to find something 16+ h, pretty, sound, no vices and talented for under $2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not saying it can't be done but you have to be willing to get your truck/trailer hooked up and cash ready. They go fast and they are worth it when you find a good one.

I personally will always prefer a TB and they are what I shop for all the time. Those of us who have been buying/selling ottbs know enough to look at a picture and guess how a horse will move. Look at all the new shows that are being done to support Tb's. It is going to be a very exciting year. Too bad if you don't want to join the rest of us

9 members found this post helpful.

Considering Isabeau has a TB G for sale on RRTP
    site chestnut 4 whites a blaze

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Considering Isabeau has a TB G for sale on RRTP
    site chestnut 4 whites a blaze
    Oh! Is that the reason for the nastiness? It seemed to come out of left field..

In my old age now, when faced with the cost of starting ahomebred young warmblood, the already broke-seen everything-stands for the farrier-ships-$2500 dollar OTTT (and assuming it is sound) is looking real cheap to me! :-)

5 members found this post helpful.

I love this gal TB lover all the way. I keep trying to talk myself out of "needing" two horses - reading these forums is breaking my resolve

Enabling....

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post

I appreciate the service that JBRP, BFNE, Viney and others provide as someone who IS interested in the OTTBs. If the threads offend you, don't read them.
    I fully agree. It amazes me that people with so much more knowledge and experience than I do routinely share on COTH. Sometimes there are no ulterior motives. Sometimes people just do the right thing even if it offers no direct benefit to them. I also want to say thank you.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love her!! I'm a complete sucker for chestnuts... If only she weren't so far away..

WHOA! WHERE THE HECK DID THIS COME FROM????

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Well... sorry. Then he's probably too busy to count my $ also. I don't buy this. (no pun intended) The problem with dealing with 'TB lovers' is that I kind of have this notion that you don't have the buyers best interests at heart in these scenarios.

Sorry, just trying to communicate my point of view here.

You are mostly interested in helping the track trainers empty their barns. I don't get the feeling you care about the OTTB buyers quite. as. much.

She's a great looking filly and will continue to grow and change. I like everything about her and I'm sure she'll be a nice mover as long as nothing is going on in her shoulders or back. In about two years she's going to be a knock out and someone is going to be very happy to have spent only $3000 on a horse that took about $20,000 to get to this point in her life.

People who know and ride thoroughbreds will pay for potential sporthorses. At Finger Lakes this summer trainers' sold about 4 horses for $4000 and they were worth every penny. They were scopey athletic and sound horses and you can't breed any horse as nice as those for $4000. Those buyers knew the deals they were getting and went for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post

If that is above someone's price range then maybe they should forego a new horse (what if unforeseen vet costs arise?). She is less than the price of a quality saddle...
    While I agree that the mare is nice and may certainly be worth $2500, I think this statement is ridiculous. Just because some think the price is too high doesn't mean they "can't afford" unforeseen vet bills. It just means they think the price is too high. I choose not to pay that much for the prospects I pick out - doesn't mean I can't afford it, it just means I choose not to, and have found others of sufficient quality for less. And furthermore, a quality saddle can be had for FAR less than $2500.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

I think there are several viable business models here.

I see a lot of "lightly restarted" OTTBs for sale in the 2500 range, which means they were obviously free/very cheap coming off the track. If that is your business model, then you need to keep the purchase price very low.

On the other hand, if you plan to keep it a while and invest a lot into it (whether to resell or for yourself), then if you have to pay more for the conformation/movement/quality you want, it may be worth it--1K either way isn't as important after years of vet/farrier/shows/lessons. Which isn't to suggest all $$$ OTTBs are nicer than cheaper ones, but trainers often know what they have.

I just resented the suggestion that people posting "CANTER cuties" or encouraging people to look at OTTBs had ulterior motives.

Going to Penn Monday if anyone want more photos of this horse I will be in her trainers barn.

A lot of TB's have found new homes/careers and have been saved from slaughter because someone who knows a good horse when they see one posts them on this board. Hundreds of horses, I'm sure. Anyone who thinks that these people do that for kick backs is an a*# hole. Sorry.

I hope she ends up in a great place. Thanks for posting her.
    Honey Badger don't give a s*#^!

"..a three-day event is not a test of speed and endurance, it is a test of character" ~JW

Glad she got a post, she is fun. Fingers crossed she finds a great home. Pure Majesty's race record:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...674&registry=T

Pedigree:

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=8567674

If I were in the market for another OTTB, I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy one that JBRP recommends! She has a great eye for a nice horse. I'd hook up the trailer and drive all day!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell