The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I don't think $2500 for a sound, nicely built horse is unreasonable. Heck, I paid more for my recent OTTB and she was worth every penny! Jess - eight weeks off the track

I don't understand why people think a horse should be sold for meat prices just because they are off the track. Unstarted warmbloods go for 8-15k on a regular basis. If I find a similarly aged nice moving, uphill, sane horse who's run a hand full of races and retired sound, I'm not going to expect to pay nothing just because it's an OTTB.

Not all OTTBs are created equal.... Not to say anything negative against the true bargains out there, but if your budget is SUPER small, you're going to have sift through an awful lot to find one that will hold up and be capable of doing the job.

She's a lovely mare, and if she's sound and she moves nicely, someone looking for real quality could have a nice prospect, for considerably less than a comparable warmblood.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I don't think $2500 for a sound, nicely built horse is unreasonable. Heck, I paid more for my recent OTTB and she was worth every penny! Jess - eight weeks off the track

I completely agree. The price is probably more of an issue for those in the resale business than for the "buy to keep" demographic.

Your mare is really beautiful and she looks like so much fun. Congratulations!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I know the trainer won t do any video just to darn busy but get xcgirl the filly is worth the time and effort.....

if someone want to get video - I would love another ches mare.. But since I just bought one, the next one would have to be exceptional....

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
    if someone want to get video - I would love another ches mare.. But since I just bought one, the next one would have to be exceptional....
    I can loan you one of mine!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Gorgeous mare! Why are so many of the nice horses a country away from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Forego View Post
    Wow,Lifes Magic is her grandmother!
    Her dam's half sister is Bedazzle, the dam of Street Sense.

Beautiful mare, and well worth the price. A bargain in my opinion.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

4 members found this post helpful.

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    I guess I disagree. 2500 for a good sized, good moving horse without too many starts...is not too much.

Yes...you can get cheap ones off the track but in my experience, many race people know a good horse and do not mark them down to bottom barrel prices. If this mare was a gelding...I have very little doubt she would have been snatched up by now...probably for a slightly higher price.
    But a photo and a proclamation does not a 'good moving' horse make. There are tons of these critters available. And my BS radar starts buzzing when people start pushing these animals. I mean, y'all are sounding like the guy with the Aussie accent selling the super juice blender, the knife set or sham-wow on the late night infomercials.

When the main selling point is "you're gonna regret it if you miss out on this great deal," then the message does not sound very credible. Can you understand this from an outside point of view??

Now if we had a national registry of sorts.... where someone could go look up and see how the siblings, ancestors, etc have done this and that and were ohhh so fabulous... then the selling thing might be a fait accompli.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    I know the trainer won t do any video just to darn busy but get xcgirl the filly is worth the time and effort.....
    Well... sorry. Then he's probably too busy to count my $ also. I don't buy this. (no pun intended) The problem with dealing with 'TB lovers' is that I kind of have this notion that you don't have the buyers best interests at heart in these scenarios.

Sorry, just trying to communicate my point of view here.

You are mostly interested in helping the track trainers empty their barns. I don't get the feeling you care about the OTTB buyers quite. as. much.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post

I don't understand why people think a horse should be sold for meat prices just because they are off the track. Unstarted warmbloods go for 8-15k on a regular basis. If I find a similarly aged nice moving, uphill, sane horse who's run a hand full of races and retired sound, I'm not going to expect to pay nothing just because it's an OTTB.

Not all OTTBs are created equal.... Not to say anything negative against the true bargains out there, but if your budget is SUPER small, you're going to have sift through an awful lot to find one that will hold up and be capable of doing the job.

She's a lovely mare, and if she's sound and she moves nicely, someone looking for real quality could have a nice prospect, for considerably less than a comparable warmblood.

I think the obvious answer lies in the fact that there are not a pile of people on here trying desperately to convince other people to buy warmbloods. There are not uncounted warmblood rescue/rehome organizations. Etc.

And, for the record, I don't care if it's a WB or TB or whatever. But I do know that right now, WB are worth more. Same as a ring with a diamond in it is worth more than a ring with a perfectly lovely piece of quartz.

Personally, I'm happy for most anything that agrees to stay between me and the ground. But I'm smart. The 'market' is not. The 'market' elevates the BigMac as a paragon of modern success.

Oh... and I like the horse. But I don't know about taking a chance on reselling her.

Farm owner agrees video is needed to be able to evaluate the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    But a photo and a proclamation does not a 'good moving' horse make.
    No but it also doesn't mean she is not a good mover. I would go and look at her....she very well could be worth 2500. That was my point. She has a price that very well may be reasonable. I'd go look and judge her movement in person....and probably see 10 more while I'm there....making it worth my time.

I also have a post here from a person I know whose opinion I trust (who I have bought horses from in the past) who saw the horse move and said she is a good mover. Honestly...if I was in the market...that would be enough for me (well, I'd pick up the phone and chat with the person who saw her...but I wouldn't need to see her in person if someone whose opinion I trust had).
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jan. 10, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I'm confused . . . are you suggesting that COTHers who post "canter cuties" are getting a kickback from trainers?

You are mostly interested in helping the track trainers empty their barns. I don't get the feeling you care about the OTTB buyers quite. as. much.

BS. I know her. And have bought some VERY nice horses. Ones that BNTs have loved....and who kicked a lot of WB butt. JBRP has a very good eye and goes out of her way to help you find a good match. She doesn't just like all horses. You are entitled to your own VP but you are soooooo off base on this comment. Don't get this horse. Someone else will.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think the obvious answer lies in the fact that there are not a pile of people on here trying desperately to convince other people to buy warmbloods. There are not uncounted warmblood rescue/rehome organizations. Etc.
    When a warmblood shows up on Craigslist for $2500, and people see it and say it's a bargain and a nice horse, it certainly does get shared around here! It's true, there are fewer available because they usually start out in sport careers and don't need a job change as a five year old.

Some OTTBs are "fairly priced" at <$1000. Some are a real bargain at that price, and some trainers know what they have and (rightfully) price their horses higher.

That was my point. Just because the downhill, over at the knee horse with a crabby attitude sold for $400, it doesn't mean that the uphill, lovely mover with genuine sport potential deserves to be in the same price range.

When you buy a registered warmblood, you more or less know what you're getting. With TBs, the quality varies much more. That is one of the things that makes shopping for a good one a challenge, so I think it's a fantastic service that these people who know them and can see them in person tip off the people who are not so close by.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well... sorry. Then he's probably too busy to count my $ also. I don't buy this. (no pun intended) The problem with dealing with 'TB lovers' is that I kind of have this notion that you don't have the buyers best interests at heart in these scenarios.

Sorry, just trying to communicate my point of view here.

Just.WOW.

Why are you so quick to suspect JBRP of questionable motives? Do you know her?
    I don't, but from everything I have seen posted on COTH by her (or about her) she seems quite unlikely to deserve your insults.

Buying a TB from the track isn't for everyone. There are lots of people who will take the chance and you can buy one from one of them after they've put some work into it, or buy a warmblood from a breeder if that's more your speed.

I appreciate the service that JBRP, BFNE, Viney and others provide as someone who IS interested in the OTTBs. If the threads offend you, don't read them.

3 members found this post helpful.

Completely uncalled for snap judgement.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/