The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default I need a hug. UPDATE pg 3

And to be told that sometimes, accidents just happen.

We ran over our kitty this morning on the way to work.

My only guess is that she was sleeping in the undercarriage somewhere, and fell out. It happened a mile or so down the road from our house, she never roams very far, there was NOTHING in sight on the road in front of us. All of a sudden we bumped over something and my husband saw her in the rear view mirror. We turned around, and she was standing up in the road. She got scared, though, and took off for the woods (we live in the boonies). She was running normally, quickly, nothing looked out of place, so nothing broken maybe? But the car did a serious bump, I'm afraid she might have had some internal damage. I ran back to get some cat food, and we walked around calling her and looking for her for almost an hour. She ran in the direction of our house, but on the wrong side of the road. So I am PRAYING that she's just scared, but ok, and will find her way home. But I just really don't know. I feel sick.
    Last edited by talkofthetown; Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm so sorry! Accidents do happen sometimes, and sounds like this was just "one of those things." Jingles for your kitty.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

((hugs))

It happens. I worry every time I visit my mother that I'm going to kill a cat or accidentally abscond with one when I leave. I have gotten in the habit of literally getting on my hands and knees to look under the car and such before starting it.

I hope your kitty is okay.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Good God, what a horrible thing to deal with.

Prayers for your kitty. And for you and your husband too.
    Last edited by caballero; Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

((((((HUGS)))))))

A friend also had her kitty sleeping somewhere up under the truck, but she didn't jump down until my friend had driven all the way to work! A 20 minute drive! Luckily kitty was okay. I hope you find your kitteh home safe and sound when you get there.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

HUGS. Hope your kitty will be OK.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'm very sorry.
    I hit one of our barn cats in the driveway (best I can tell, he came at a dead run from *behind* the car, following me up the driveway, then I guess tried to dart across the driveway and into my rear tire. I didn't see him until the very last second, just a flash of movement in my side mirror but it was too late. I felt awful, and still feel sad, but nothing I could have done.
    Keep looking, but be aware that it's possible she did die, and based on your description, it probably happened very quickly (ie she was not wandering around suffering). Adrenalin is incredibly powerful drug-- in my case, the cat darted off just like yours did and it gave me hope that maybe, just maybe, I hadn't hit him. But found him not 20ft from the driveway, already dead. So the fast escape was just instinct/adrenalin.
    I know none of this makes it easier but, know that you're not alone. It sucks.

Jingles for kitty

((((((hugs)))))) And lots and lots of jingles!!!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

So sorry. Jingling for you and your kitty.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

many hugs and jingles... it's the most horrible feeling, hurting one's own animal in an accident.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Jingles and hugs. Poor kitty and poor you.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

So sorry. This happened to two of our cats but they weren't hit, just fell from the car while it was moving. First one happened on the highway and the second on a 55mph road. Both survived with minor injuries but they were not hit. Unfortunately cats love to climb in the cars in the winter to try to warm up. I feel badly for you because it absolutely sucks when you are left not knowing, but I would assume that your kitty has passed. If you felt a large bump, it probably caused lots of damage, then adrenaline kicked in for kitty to take off. Hugs to you.

Jingles for you and your kitty. Our old dog ran in front of the vehicle DH was driving and was killed, unfortunately a lot of older dogs go this way.

As for kitties, I learned long ago to tap on the hood and make a lot of noise before starting the car. In hopes of encouraging sleeping kitties to vacate the vehicle.

Hoping you kitty is waiting for you when you return home.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I'm very sorry for your loss. The exact same thing happened to my daughter's cat. She never went outside but for some reason dashed out the back door when I opened it. I had two broken ribs and wasn't moving very fast. I assumed she'd be back and didn't worry about it. Turns out she was hiding in the undercarriage of my husband's truck. She fell out and was hit at the bottom of our driveway.

It was the only time she had ever been outside.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Big hugs for you and jingles for kitty. I hope that she is OK and comes home with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises.

I worry about that all the time here. I'm so sorry, it's not anything you ever want to do. big {{hugs}}.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Sending jingles and prayers for your kitty. (((Hugs))) to you, too.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Default Big hugs

Big big hugs.

I am sending hugs to you also.. I hope she is ok.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"