The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Previcox & as needed use of Banamine.

I am thinking of putting my 16yo semi-retired gelding on previcox. My big guy has 10+ years as a heavily campaigned eq/jumper horse, has sidebone growth/hardening, and is a double colic surgery survivor on omeprazole and a no hay diet. I am choosing previcox as a less expensive route to keep him comfortable, when he was showing he required joint injections and very regular adequan. Now that he is retired I have been trying to find something to keep him comfortable without breaking my bank while also considering his sensitive stomach. I have read copious amounts of people’s opinions both here and elsewhere. My major concern is; can previcox be used in conjunction with banamine in case of colic? Every 4-6 months the big guy might act a little colicky/gassy and it is a crisis that is easily averted by skipping a meal and giving him a bit of banamine. Then he is right as rain and it is business as usual. I have read in a few places without explanation that banamine and bute cannot be given to a horse on previcox, so why is this? If I cannot use banamine as needed with previcox I may have to find some other way to keep my big guy comfortable.

I have, in emergencies, used banamine while using previcox. However, I am very judicious about using it and I only do it with my vet's OK first.

I never use bute on my horses that are taking previcox.

If he seems to be a little gassy you might think about trying extra strength Gas-X. This is what our vet recommends whenever a horse shows signs of colic. He says if it's not gas, it won't hurt the horse. 1 pill per 100 pounds.

Can you talk to your vet about using compounded dipyrone
    if your horse does colic? It might be a suitable alternative.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I would try pentosan before previcox in an ulcer prone horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I would try pentosan before previcox in an ulcer prone horse.
    I am unfamiliar with pentosan, can you elaborate on it a bit? I am also googling it now.

Also, just a side note, we have never found him to have ulcers even when scoped. The omeprazole just seems to calm his tummy. Like me and Prilosec for my heart burn haha! Basically the same thing. Nonetheless, I like to avoid anything that is tough on his already sensitive stomach so I am open to suggestion.

I can't help with alternative suggestions, but my understanding is that the reason you can't combine them is because they are two NSAIDs. My horse has been on Previcox for years and it's been great for him - basically, if he were to need a one-time dose of Banamine, we would skip his next dose of Previcox, but otherwise not worry about it too much. If he is needing Banamine or Bute for a prolonged period, (he was on it daily for about a month last summer due to an eye problem that eventually resulted in surgery), we take him off the Previcox temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by LKenn View Post
    I am unfamiliar with pentosan, can you elaborate on it a bit? I am also googling it now.
    There are literally dozens of threads here if you do a search. They can give you more info than I can in one post.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    There are literally dozens of threads here if you do a search. They can give you more info than I can in one post.
    I saw them. Thanks.