The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb Cross posting from Horse Care..

I posted this in horse care, but no one has ideas maybe you guys can help me ..

I recent moved I the east coast from Colorado, my two youngsters one is a yearling and a weanling. Both are getting small scabs around their withers, and my weanling has some type of fungus going on on one of Her shoulders, she hasn't lost her hair yet, but it's scabby like and stuck in her hair, she seems to enjoy when I curry it, but after I break some scabs out it seems to start getting sensitive. It's very odd. Neither seem to be the rain rot I am used to... Just curious if it might be anything else? They both got ring worm mildly after the move... And my broodmare had rain rot which is now cleared up. My poor ponies are used to the extremely dry climate of CO and its extremely wet and damp here. Any suggestions? I've clipped their legs to avoid scratched and I feel like I've got that avoided so far (my yearling has 4 white legs but does his best to stay out of mud... He doesn't like it haha). My weanling also got what I figure was "dew poisoning" under her chin and around her lips but that cleared up as well! I just don't know if there is something to help their skin acclimate?
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

Maybe ringworm? My mare had it when she was a baby (in Colorado, ironically) and it doesn't seem to be at all ring-shaped in horses, gets crusty and yucky. I think I used athlete's foot cream on it to clear it up.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

My guess would be rain rot. I use MTG on it when I get it, and it clears up almost immediately.

Whenever I clip other people's horses, I invariably find some kind of generic crud on under the coat. There is no substitute, in the winter, to running your hands over every inch of their bodies to feel scabs and such that can be missed during grooming. When I find stuff, I pick the scab off and apply an antibiotic ointment, if just be or two places, or MTG. Works for me!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    My guess would be rain rot. I use MTG on it when I get it, and it clears up almost immediately.

Whenever I clip other people's horses, I invariably find some kind of generic crud on under the coat. There is no substitute, in the winter, to running your hands over every inch of their bodies to feel scabs and such that can be missed during grooming. When I find stuff, I pick the scab off and apply an antibiotic ointment, if just be or two places, or MTG. Works for me!
    Thanks Laurie... This is what I've been doing.. They definitely had ringworm but that is clearing up and thy are both growing hair back, I've foun all sorts of silly scabs on the last few days grooming more, amazing what hides under that FLUFF! I'm thinking ill body clip the coming yearling for sure as I plan to show her more than the coming 2 year old, can't wait to see how grey she is
    Like Us On Facebook!

I'd be tempted to chalk it up to the stress of the move, and get them on something like flaxseed or Platinum Performance or your very-high-quality feed supplement of choice (suited for babies?). If they're still adjusting to all sorts of major changes, they may not be fighting off the various skin stuff you're seeing. Get them healthy all over and the skin stuff may take care of itself.

It's been 3 1/2 months now... :-/ surprisingly the kiddos dealt quite well with the move... I think they are enjoying the more mild winter!
    Like Us On Facebook!

The suggestion by Laurie of MTG is a good one. I use it, too. Also, as noted, very important to keep the irritation as dry as possible. My show hunter had scratches pretty severely in the fall and, despite all the best treatment and care, didn't clear up until she was no longer being bathed for the shows so often.

not sure if I posted on the other thread---

my filly had something that was not rain rot last summer, I used this on her and it cleared up really fast

http://www.smartpakequine.com/healin...x?cm_vc=Search