The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have a now-6 yo stallion who is out of a Seattle Slew mare, has a great brain! I've had and known several Slews and they have all been lovely movers and GREAT jumpers.

Jennifer

I agree with ThirdCharm. I had an APHA gelding out of a Seattle Slew mare, beautiful mover and just a sweetie. He jumped a 5 foot fence almost from a stand-still the first time he saw a bull come around a corner! LOL

I have an AP Indy, same spot in the pedigree, different sire, also has Buccpasser and Northern Dancer in there all over the place.

He's an athlete, but he can be tough and opinionated. Worth it, but defiantly a handful and hard to deal with, but he's a great guy if you like playing with fire sometime.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

I just wanted to share a fun update on the new guy. Yesterday my husband and I took him on a little adventure in hand. It was only his 2nd time on a trailer and his first outing ever. He has a really great mind and terrific attitude--its was fun watching how really big his walk got as he relaxed and started to really enjoy himself. He did all of the little ditches, banks and water (three!) that we could find and never balked once. He didn't even blink at the wooden bridge! What a good boy he is.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1903725&type=1

He is stunning!

hubba hubba!!!!! he looks thick for a TB- i love him!

He is stunning! You can tell he has a great attitidue!

Thank you! We really like him--he is so calm and willing it is really quite refreshing considering he has never been off the farm where he was raised till he came to us. His background is a bit sketchy (different info from different people) and I only learned yesterday that this horse has had no basic training/handling---yet he is really pleasant to deal with in every way--he is really amazing!

I adore AP INDY and Slew babies.. Have to say, I looked at his pedigree first and then the pictures - was quite surprised when he was a chestnut - I was expecting a bay/dk bay, as most of the Slew/Indy babies are tall, dark and handsome. He fits the handsome part though!

I've had the lucky experience to work with several AP Indy and Slew horses - and even had a Seattle Slew OTTB myself - from my experience they're all remarkably sane and level - they can get a little "excited" about their job, but who doesn't like work ethic enthusiasm?! The AP horses (mostly young/yearling) I worked with were dolls in the barns they were breezed at - very personable and trying horses. I like Slew because his descendants are honest and very try-hard as well - I've never seen a Slew baby put a wrong foot down unless it was a direct product of his training. If they're ridden in an appropriate riding regime that focuses on gradual fitness, they are sound sound sound sound.

I *love* his back.. it looks like he's going to make quite the show-horse.

I havent' worked with any Rhythm horses, but I'm a huge fan of Mr Prospector too. He's thrown some "rode hard and put up wet" types that come slugging back for more - and also great athleticism to boot. Looks like you've got yourself a keeper - he's a pretty well bred horse! Are you planning on cutting him?

1 members found this post helpful.

He is making that decision harder every day--he is a good colt with a first class temperament. His back ground is odd (the lack of basic handling/training) but his life was good (ranch raised with well socialized). My husband has suggested crossing him to my Purebred Connemara Filly by Ard Celtic Art. So still thinking about it.

- I've never seen a Slew baby put a wrong foot down unless it was a direct product of his training.
    this is very interesting too because I noticed he is careful with himself--in otherwords knows where his feet are. And yes we plan to address the fitness issue before really starting him under saddle--he "looks mature", strong and healthy, ready to start but no point moving to quickly till all the very basics are solidly confirmed.

I just "friended" you on FB so that I can continue to drool

Wowza!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Wow. That is a seriously beautiful horse. I LOVE his type...short coupled, beautiful neckset...

Sometimes horses with NO training are less complicated that those with (sketchy) training. Looks like you have no bad habits to undo.

Wow.
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Just wanted to update on this guy--today he qualified for the West Coast Young Event Horse Championships at Galway Downs. He's amazing--only 6.5m under saddle! Pictures when I get them!

2 members found this post helpful.

I checked his FB page & was disappointed you didn't have progress pictures

What a good boy!

he looks great!! more pictures please! congrats!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Beautiful! I know a TB who is also a descendant of Secretariat.

Oh man, I am completely bummed that you gelded him. I certainly understand, but we need a younger crop of sport TB stallions. He certainly fits the bill.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

2 members found this post helpful.