The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My horse is a saint... pics added post 12!

My niece (age 9) loves horses and has had a few stints of lessons during the past couple of years, but not consistently... and as she lives 2+ hours away, there's not a whole lot I can do about it other than gift her with lesson packages for her local barn when it's birthday/holiday season. She's had probably 20 lessons total so far, I doubt much of anything beyond walk and MAYBE a bit of trot.

Anyway, the in-laws came to visit this weekend, so after dinner, I asked if her parents would mind stopping at my barn on their way home for Kiddo to hop on my horse if she wanted. Of course she wanted!

Horse is a 9-y.o. OTTB... while he can be a knucklehead away from home (mainly because I only get him to shows maybe 1x/year; I'm trailerless), AT home, he is usually a complete plug, and about as bomb-proof as they come. Still, I had never put a kid that little on him before, so it was uncharted territory.

I got him tacked up, slapped a helmet on Kiddo, put her up, and away we went... I led them around our little indoor a couple times just to make sure everybody was calm, then I let them loose by themselves while the rest of us grown-ups hung out to watch from a corner.

I swear, I think the horse must have kid-sense... For half an hour, my beloved, saintly, occasional-eventer 16.2hh ex-racehorse packed that teeny weeny little 9-year old around the indoor arena like he was a carousel pony at the fair. I set up cones; he weaved through them. I tossed out the giant Parelli ball; he played soccer. I set up a little cavaletti; he stepped over it back and forth more times than I could count. And he never ONCE even threatened so much as a raised tail, much less a trot. All the while, kiddo's mom and dad were snapping photos (with flash) and Horse didn't even flick an ear.

I think I was as tickled as my niece...
    Last edited by cnvh; Jan. 7, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

13 members found this post helpful.

Aww such a good boy!

P.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Awww... I can't believe you posted that story with no pictures! I swear, horses just know, don't they? That must have made your heart sing, and I'm sure it totally made your niece's day. Good for you both!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

2 members found this post helpful.

I would have loved to take pics but I was too busy keeping an eye on them, lol... I think Hubby got some on his phone; if any of them are salvageable (nighttime + dusty indoor = bad for photos!) I'll post one!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Welll done you!
    My first horsey experiences were given to me by people who knew how much it meant to a child (me), and weren't shy about putting me up on what they had.

She'll never forget! Please,give your good horse a pat for me.

Days like that recharge us dont' they??

I've known more that one horse who had an uncanny "child sense" who would become a perfect angel and truly babysit the kids who rode them... who under an experienced rider would deliver a very different type of ride- it's as if they consider themselves teachers and make sure to offer the ride which is best for developing the rider- no matter the stage in the process.

Great to hear you have one such angelic smartie!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

My 7 year old TB was exactly like that! She could be a real challenge with adults, but put a kid on her, even a complete beginner playing "games" like simon says, redlight greenlight, etc and she was an absolute saint. I actually ended up selling her to a trainer who then sold her to a PC kid - I think she wanted to be a kids horse her whole life!

Good for you, and well done for giving a kid a chance to ride! Indeed post pics.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

I've met more than a few horses who just seem to know. With experienced riders they are more than a handful, but plop a kid on 'em and they are as kind and gentle as can be. Give your pony lots of pats for us. And good for you for giving the kiddo a chance to ride!

We have a big school horse at my barn that, well, did not make the program due to "bad" behavior and he is just hanging out. He has been for sale for some time.

I have a new adult student in the theraputic program (autism) and needed a big horse for her. Out comes the "unsuitable" gelding.

Oh we had side walkers and a chain shank, but both were un needed. He did walk trot transitions forever! He listened to his rider and I do think he listened to me teach. He now has a JOB!!

Good story, but NO PICTURES?

Those horses are wonderful.
    We also had a few like that, up with someone that wants to ride, completely puffballs for a small kid having fun.
    I have one like that right now and they are wonderful.

If you get some pictures, share.

OK, gonna try to post the two pics I found...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c...107_071814.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-m...107_071743.jpg

Unfortunately none of the Parelli-ball pics turned out... (We don't "do" Parelli, but some of my fellow boarders do; Horse just loves their giant green ball, lol...)
    *friend of bar.ka

5 members found this post helpful.

Wonderful, thank you!

Happiness is a happy kid on a saint of a horse.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

cnvh--he could be my Calvin's twin!! He's chestnut, right? Gosh, even their stars are similar. That is so awesome.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    cnvh--he could be my Calvin's twin!! He's chestnut, right? Gosh, even their stars are similar. That is so awesome.
    Yep, he's a redhead-- the only white on him is his star. He's chrome-less, lol...
    *friend of bar.ka

Awwww. What a boy!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Somebody gets lots of extra carrots! What a good boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

lovely. Well, her parents should have plenty of pictures to send you, right?

What a good boy!!! And your niece has nice leg position!

My Penny mare is the same: put a wee one on her and she walks as if she's on egg shells. Put someone who knows what they're doing in the tack and she'll challenge them on every turn.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    lovely. Well, her parents should have plenty of pictures to send you, right?
    I'm not sure... Hubby was using his phone, without flash; I think Kiddo's parents (and grandparents) were using flash cameras. As dusty as it gets in our indoor (it's tiny, really not good for anything besides handwalking and ground work), I think most of their photos were probably blurry dust orbs.
    *friend of bar.ka