The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    I recall an encounter few years back, shortly after I moved to a new barn. In the interest of getting to know others, I struck up a conversation by asking other riders for their opinions on a particularly spoilt horse I had in for re-schooling. I, in my grey-haired bow-legged dotage, was primly informed by a stick-like 18-year old that it's all very simple: she just knows how to sit correctly, so her horses would never misbehave like that, ever. She proceeded to tell me that she would be willing to give me a few lessons to help me out! I had to do that fake-cough thing to hide my chuckle... how do you kindly tell someone that you've been teaching horses and riders since long before they were born?
    I have had similar experiences. But it is amplified online where everyone is an expert. Like the lyrics to the song by Brad Paisley; "I'm so much cooler online." LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rider25 View Post
    Attachment 37486 Attachment 37487

This is my husbands half friesian gelding. He moonlights as my dressage play toy, but his main job is to take care of my husband in the mountains and haul his elk/deer off the mountain. He has brought several elk off the mountain and gotten my hubby through some of the scarries terrain that I have ever seen (I wouldn't ride through it, I got off and walked). All of my horses live in "the real world" too. My hunter mare also packs me in the mountains and elk hunting as well.
    Nice tack change.

Quote Originally Posted by rtph View Post
    I have had similar experiences. But it is amplified online where everyone is an expert. Like the lyrics to the song by Brad Paisley; "I'm so much cooler online." LOL
    LOL, if I didn't have a sig I'd use that one!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I'm so flattered that my phrase "all hat and no cattle" now has its very own thread - allbeit on the dressage forum! And look what it has turned into!!

BBlandia - p.e.r.f.e.c.t new COTH'ism.

I'll admit to having an inner cowboy in me - though I still ride English with silly dressagey full seat breeches....they laugh at me until my mare proves herself. She's great - and would take a bite out of one if it didn't budge. She will go anywhere I point her. Up, down, through, etc. But truly, I've no real knowledge of Western or cattle. I don't have the hat, either, and no comment on the horn.

Some day I'm coming to take lessons from Bluey about Western...
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Very cool, rider25!

Mp, I'd love to know more about Radiator, too. He looks like what Arabs ought to be in a perfect world.

I would read / Comprehend
    "All Hat and No Cattle"

the same way I would read

All the Gear & No Idea !

I'm so flattered that my phrase "all hat and no cattle" now has its very own thread - allbeit on the dressage forum!
    It's a great phrase but actually it has been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    You might want to stop digging that hole before you become a cowless hatwearer.
    Another sig worthy response

This thread is just full of them!
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

how do you kindly tell someone that you've been teaching horses and riders since long before they were born?
    You're supposed to tell them KINDLY?!

Who knew.

I once told a smart ass kid, "I have riding boots older than you."

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ha, I've got you all beat. The father of one my best friends in middle school managed a very large hog farm in the midwest, and I remember a few sleepovers when we would get rousted out of bed to go "round up them pigs" (those suckers had a knack for busting out of their pens).

I rode a mare named "Merrylegs" (she was believed to be Saddlebred cross). You haven't lived until you are galloping around a cornfield at 2 am on a fired up chestnut mare, bareback, no bridle (only had time to throw halters on the horses). And trying to gather pigs from horseback was interesting to say the least - don't ask me how many times I fell off...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just curious, which thread started this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by rtph View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've never been cool anywhere, and definitely not online!

Quote Originally Posted by Nojacketrequired View Post
    You're supposed to tell them KINDLY?!

Who knew.

I once told a smart ass kid, "I have riding boots older than you."

NJR
    Haha, I think you're right, that's my problem! I've always been terrible at self-promotion and it's even worse now that I've stopped riding for everyone except myself. My body has decided to embrace what it perceives as the pleasures of midlife... weight gain, dwindling flexibility and odd aches and pains that can persuade me to stay on the couch if it's raining too much.

I definitely don't have the physique to prove my stuff anymore, yet the brain hasn't totally given in. I guess I HAVE "lost" my cattle, but damn it I had them once - and that's not just early onset alzheimer's talking (I hope)!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I'm so flattered that my phrase "all hat and no cattle" now has its very own thread -
    I thought it had been around awhile.
    I distinctly recall Ann Richards referring to George Bush in that context.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    I'm a hunter/jumper/dressage rider of 35 years. I now also sort cattle. It's a blast. Those people can ride just as well if not better than most English riders I know. There are reasons behind what they do. If you never sorted cattle you wouldn't know. Just like there are reasons dressage riders, ride like they do, and hunter and jumper riders ride like they do. I'm sure a lot of you would be surprised how hard it is to sort cattle.
    I would live to have the chance sort cattle. I think it would be great fun. It's nice to step out of the hunter ring and try new things.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    Just curious, which thread started this topic?
    Don't remember the thread title but it was in Off Course.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

It is definitely not a new phrase - the original topic was not about that. No claims by me.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I know I heard Dan Rather on CBS News use the phrase many years ago, but I can't recall what or whom he was referencing. Likely, as with Ann Richards, it was the Shrub.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Oh my. Some of the guys at my barn know how to work without spilling the herd all over the place. But they're the exception, not the rule.

I wish my current ride was a little ... ummm quieter, or I'd try working cattle with him. But he got waaaaaaay excited and tried to bite the calves. Not good.

My husband's gelding was the closest thing we've had to a cow pony. Purebred Arab, but looked like a QH cross. That horse knew how to wait and would remind his rider of that, when needed. I miss that boy.

Radiator, the late, the great do everything Arabian
    What a lovely Arab of the "old type". wow
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Nomi, showing someone how to be softer is great, but curb bits are not about lateral flexion. At all. They are for longitudinal flexion, aka collection. Even in western work.

If you show the guy any more lateral stuff, get him in a snaffle before you do. Curb bits are not meant for working off the sides of the mouth.

But then you know that, right?
    Huh? Not all western curb bits have fixed shanks. Many have swivels, not as direct as a snaffle, but they do rotate for directional use.