The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

You cant say anything on coth without it turning into "I know more about cows than you because you ride dressage" thread.
    huh?

No, he asked me to dinner and I said, "Im married and your horse is stiff."

JK.

We ride at the same barn and are kind of friends so to speak. He takes pics of my horses when I ride and do that "fancy crap" because he is also an amature photographer.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Race horse trainer to new owner "Your horse is still a bit green".
    Owner replies "Oh, I thought it was brown all over".

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Graureiter View Post
    I guess in Dressage the expression would be:
    " All top-hat and no canter "
    May I use this as my sig, pretty please with piaffe on top?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    May I use this as my sig, pretty please with piaffe on top?
    Yes, I would be honored.
    My horse is a "Hare-Brained Controvert".

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    It is a thing of beauty to watch someone who really knows how to ride and rope do their thing. Arena roping I don't care for. Just a personal thing, but I like cattle too much to enjoy seeing them jerked around for no particular reason.

I have a hat and we have cattle. However, it's a small operation and when I work cattle, it's on foot. Based on what I've seen, a lot of people would benefit from getting off their horses and learning how to move cattle that way. You make a lot fewer mistakes when YOU'RE the one who has to run, not the horse.

Same here. I grew up on a small cow/calf operation (~150 head of cattle + annual calves) and cash crop farm (I've always ridden English though). We sort cattle on foot and have used herding dogs (blue heelers) in the past too. Some of the cutting/sorting I've watched gets the cattle too riled up and would put our cattle through the fences (limousines). I've moved to a new area that is predominantly western riders. I've met a lot of 'All hats and no cattle' with their 6 acre ranches

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Well yeah this was a shank bit with a broken mouth piece and not a curb.
    Still a curb, broken-mouthed or not.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

5 members found this post helpful.

if it has leverage, it's a curb. Period. As in 'curb your enthusiasm for talking out of your hat, NOMI.'

5 members found this post helpful.

I hear you Mp and Karosel!

One year one of our new hires invited his team roping friends down to help us during a fall gather. Worst. Gather. Ever. Those guys did not know how to work cattle quietly. Everything took twice as long because the cows were upset.

THEY weren't cowboys, they just found the hats.

Cattle can be worked quietly and efficiently from horseback, but you have to be patient. It's nothing like rodeo stuff.

2 members found this post helpful.

anyone working cows from horseback had better spend his time on foot, first- otherwise he'll sour and frazzle a good horse being pushy and quick.

I've got a stetson with sparkles, love a good porterhouse and don't mind some horn every now and again. Isn't that close enough? LOL.

All horse people are crazy. That's why I love 'em, there's always a whole lot to laugh at each time I go riding. Besides, for me, half the time a welp tells me I suck at something, they're probably right. But I'm at the age where I don't care so much anymore.

Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1
    Well yeah this was a shank bit with a broken mouth piece and not a curb.

You might want to stop digging that hole before you become a cowless hatwearer.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    I hear you Mp and Karosel!

One year one of our new hires invited his team roping friends down to help us during a fall gather. Worst. Gather. Ever. Those guys did not know how to work cattle quietly. Everything took twice as long because the cows were upset.

THEY weren't cowboys, they just found the hats.

Cattle can be worked quietly and efficiently from horseback, but you have to be patient. It's nothing like rodeo stuff.
    Oh my. Some of the guys at my barn know how to work without spilling the herd all over the place. But they're the exception, not the rule.

I wish my current ride was a little ... ummm quieter, or I'd try working cattle with him. But he got waaaaaaay excited and tried to bite the calves. Not good.

My husband's gelding was the closest thing we've had to a cow pony. Purebred Arab, but looked like a QH cross. That horse knew how to wait and would remind his rider of that, when needed. I miss that boy.

Radiator, the late, the great do everything Arabian

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    No, he asked me to dinner and I said, "Im married and your horse is stiff."
    And it's Nomi for the win!

Much of our cow work WAS done on foot. In the corrals, for instance, most of us were on foot to work gates, count, sort by age or condition and finally vaccinate and dip. The horses got a break before we drove the herd down the highway to winter.

I find the phrase "a lot of feather, not much chicken" works well for all riding disciplines

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1290.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	37486 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow edited.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	37487

This is my husbands half friesian gelding. He moonlights as my dressage play toy, but his main job is to take care of my husband in the mountains and haul his elk/deer off the mountain. He has brought several elk off the mountain and gotten my hubby through some of the scarries terrain that I have ever seen (I wouldn't ride through it, I got off and walked). All of my horses live in "the real world" too. My hunter mare also packs me in the mountains and elk hunting as well.
    Last edited by rider25; Jan. 8, 2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added info and a second photo

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    My husband's gelding was the closest thing we've had to a cow pony. Purebred Arab, but looked like a QH cross. That horse knew how to wait and would remind his rider of that, when needed. I miss that boy.

Radiator, the late, the great do everything Arabian
    This is completely off topic mp, but do you know anything of your boy's breeding? He looks lovely and that photo reminds me so much of some of those old black-and-whites of the early CMK ranch horses. I have such a soft spot for those Old Arab lines!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I can't remember any of the names right now, but he was primarily Polish. A 1984 model -- so you're not far off at all. He was a great horse. I have his reg. papers at home. If I can find them, I'll post specifics.

And thanks for asking. He was one of our first horses. A green-broke Arabian for green riders. Should have been a disaster, but it wasn't, thanks to him. He was an old and forgiving soul.

2 members found this post helpful.

i always get a kick out of meeting folks from BBlandia.... 99% of them either dont ride, are beginners or have rather inflated ideas about their ability.

and i admit - i used to be one of those that had an inflated idea of my abilities - then i started learning and now i know better lol!

this thread is home to a few of these kinds of folks too - pretty ironic lol!

i will agree with whomever said they just shut up and nod when folks (that dont have a clue) talk - its easier that way