The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Riders that are "all hat and no cattle"

In 'Off Course' there's a thread with signatures. Reading the one about cattle made me smile as I thought about two women at my barn that ride dressage and really talk the talk. Yesterday one woman was telling me about how one should work up to passage and yadda, yadda, yadda. So today they are both at the barn and the other one says to her "Well you almost got the canter". (Meaning during their lesson yesterday) The quote just seems to fit her so well.

At a polo barn I boarded at there was a sign posted that said "Shut up and Ride". They meant it too.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

7 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think that cattle herding and Dressage should be combined into a new sport.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

17 members found this post helpful.

I've often wondered if people big into other things feel that they are the only ones who do things correctly or try to sound more advanced than they are? Or is it only horses? Of course we all know I'm the only one who really knows and I'm sure I'll be in the Olympics soon.

8 members found this post helpful.

You know her, so I'll go with smiling at the image and the reality of that phrase. The contrarian in me does note that "you almost got the canter " could mean "you almost got the PSG canter that will give you great pirouettes" for example, or "the canter" (that will allow you expressive straight clean flying changes, or tempi changes... That is, "you almost got the canter" can have a different meaning between dressagistas than between 2 newbies who have just learned to move easily between 2 point and posting, for example...

There. I'll put away the curmudgeon and go back to giggling about hats and cattle, and Reality A vs Perception B...

11 members found this post helpful.

Living in AZ, where most men wear cowboy hats, and ride like cowboys (nothing to do with riding like anyone on this board is doing), I got a laugh.
    It took me at least a year to learn that training around here is "cowboying", and that I am NOT a cowgirl and don't want to be one. Like to think I am a horsewoman though.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a hunter/jumper/dressage rider of 35 years. I now also sort cattle. It's a blast. Those people can ride just as well if not better than most English riders I know. There are reasons behind what they do. If you never sorted cattle you wouldn't know. Just like there are reasons dressage riders, ride like they do, and hunter and jumper riders ride like they do. I'm sure a lot of you would be surprised how hard it is to sort cattle.

9 members found this post helpful.

I have found the ones that talk the most usually know the least.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    technically there is. its called working equitation and combines basics dressage with a trail like class and in the team events has an event similar to team penning.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think some of it has to do with the fact a lot of dressage riders just don't encounter that many other people in their sport much of the time. That can make a little bit of knowledge seem like the Lost Secret of the Holy Grail, and delude people into thinking they are Great Enlightened Ones (heck just look at one or two of our prolific COTH characters). It's all exacerbated by the fact that dressage riders sort of speak their own language, and have a codified method of training that (theoretically at least) trumps competition results.

I recall an encounter few years back, shortly after I moved to a new barn. In the interest of getting to know others, I struck up a conversation by asking other riders for their opinions on a particularly spoilt horse I had in for re-schooling. I, in my grey-haired bow-legged dotage, was primly informed by a stick-like 18-year old that it's all very simple: she just knows how to sit correctly, so her horses would never misbehave like that, ever. She proceeded to tell me that she would be willing to give me a few lessons to help me out! I had to do that fake-cough thing to hide my chuckle... how do you kindly tell someone that you've been teaching horses and riders since long before they were born?

I generally prefer to let everyone think I'm just some bumbling old numpty because it's quite entertaining to hear the one-that-got-away stories when they all start trying to outdo one another!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I can do that!

I helped a cowboy today with his horse. He is practicing "getting down" on a cow right now and I explained that his horse doesnt really stay soft in the bridle (tie down and big shank bit of course).

He said, "Do you think I have to ride in a snaffle?"

I do think he needs his extra hand so instead of going all "dressagey" on him I said yes off and on but really you just need to learn to soften your hand and I showd him a couple of (sorta) standing flexions to supple.

Then he went and did a roll back with some seriously nice sit and said, " WOW that was better!"

It can be fun to be open minded enough to help eachother out
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

10 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by nerisa View Post
    technically there is. its called working equitation and combines basics dressage with a trail like class and in the team events has an event similar to team penning.
    Ah yes. There is going to be a demo of that at the MD horse fair. Maybe I'll give it a lookie.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

4 members found this post helpful.

Loved those videos!

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    I helped a cowboy today with his horse. He is practicing "getting down" on a cow right now and I explained that his horse doesnt really stay soft in the bridle (tie down and big shank bit of course).

He said, "Do you think I have to ride in a snaffle?"

I do think he needs his extra hand so instead of going all "dressagey" on him I said yes off and on but really you just need to learn to soften your hand and I showd him a couple of (sorta) standing flexions to supple.

Then he went and did a roll back with some seriously nice sit and said, " WOW that was better!"

It can be fun to be open minded enough to help eachother out
    I'd love to know what you meant by the tie down and shank bit of course. I run the RSNC in VA. I ran the 2 day state finals last weekend. We had classes up to 200 teams. There was not a horse in a shanked bit or tie down. Sorters use plain O ring snaffles and NO tie downs, EVER. I'd love to know where you get that they use shanks and tie downs "of course".

ETA: We had teams from all over the east coast. As far as Long Island, NJ and on down to GA

2 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what the heck happened to the thread on 'All Hat No Cattle'??

...only on COTH can an innocent idiom spark a heated debate on western riding.

8 members found this post helpful.

Well, I guess the cows arrived and spoiled the party .

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post

Where am I and what the heck happened to the thread on 'All Hat No Cattle'??

...only on COTH can an innocent idiom spark a heated debate on western riding.
    Hahaha, I think we're simply doing a counter canter at this point. For some reason or another it seems that dressage, moreso than other styles, brings out the brainiacs that really over think the ride. Sometimes you just need to move the horse forward.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Sometimes you just need to move the horse forward.
    So well said, Gestalt!

In the interest of "kicking on", I also fondly recall the example of an acquaintance of mine who posted a photograph of her and her mare on Facebook.... mare was in the up-phase of the canter stride and she - quite seriously - captioned the photo, "a beautiful canter pirouette, such a good girl". This was a 2nd level competitor. It was fun to watch.

I never said sorting.

I said "get down on a cow" ropes them but its good to work cattle in general... Google roping you see plenty of tie downs. "hence me saying he needed his spare hand" as he is not sorting and wouldnt care.

Ive sorted cattle plenty. I know you think dressage is filled with people who never saw a horn but Ive seen plenty
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/