The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you vaccinate once or twice a year?

I have always vaccinated twice a year because our horses trailer out regularly for showing, clinics, fox hunting etc. But it seems like alot of folks only vaccinate once a year.

Tell me whether you vaccinate once or twice a year? Thanks

Once a year for everything except PHF generally, but I divide them into spring and fall shots since most insect-borne diseases are going to be more prevalent in the spring and summer and infectious-respiratory things in the winter. Rhino/flu I may do once or twice, depending on how much a horse travels and certainly much more frequently in pregnant mares.

AFAIK there is no reason to vaccinate for things like rabies, encephalitis, WNV, etc. more than once a year, although I might consider a booster if there were a really bad outbreak of something locally, which is why I do PHF twice yearly since there is ALWAYS an outbreak around here, seemingly!
    Click here before you buy.

Two visits but I think each vaccine is only yearly. I split them up. It knocks them for too much of a loop to do ALL the vaccines ALL at once and I prefer to pay for half and then half later in the year anyway.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Twice, but most shots are only given once yearly. Maybe flu/rhino is given twice...I'd have to look.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Ours get each vaccine once per year. Our horses don't show/travel much. When i used to work at a higher level show barn, we vaccinated for the flu twice a year.

Our friends that have race horses vaccinate for the flu (and maybe Rhino? Not sure) every couple of months and have found it to help their race horses from getting every little cough/sniffle that comes through the barns.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

The West Nile Virus & Rabies were so prevalent in Texas last summer, this new crop of vaccinations are stronger. Some Vets are recommending a month between West Nile & Rabies so it may be more like 3-4 sets per year depending on boosters and your vet's recommendation.

Hoping for a hard freeze to kill all those Mosquitos. They were out again tonight even and here we are in the first week of January.

1 members found this post helpful.

The question cannot be "do you vaccinate once or twice a year".

The question has to be - for what do you vaccinate twice, or just once a year".

There are too many vaccines with very different mechanisms against the various diseases for it to be an all or nothing

I vaccinate twice per year(ie. repeat vaccinations). There are several horses at the farm that go frequently to large horse shows, plus I do a fair amount of clinics and group rides. I vaccinate for rhino, flu, encephalo, tetanus(once per year), rabies (once per year), strangles, WNV, and PHF.

Once a year for tet/wee/eee and strangles (latter when boarding...not doing it now with my closed herd at home). Flu/rhino and WNV twice a year. PHF is something I've done recently as vets only started to recommend it here, but just once a year.

I try to split them up when I can. Now that everyone is here at home, rather than in a barn where vets came by on a regular basis, I might have to start doing my own. Farm call just to get the vet here is probably more than the vaccines if i just buy them!

2x a year. We live where there are lots of bugs year round. All carrying various diseases aimed at us.

Better to pay for shots 2x a year than pay for huge vet bill if vaccine wears off and we get sick. While we warmbloods do not like needles, we hate to be sick. Better the needle than the knacker.

Geez, it depends on a number of factors such as the region. My vets comes out twice a year, and the horses get some vaccines (Rhino/Flu, West Nile) twice a year. It doesn't seem to be a very precise science. I have horses boarded at two different barns less than ten miles from each other, and two different vets gave slightly different vaccines this Fall. The Spring vaccines are identical.

I do once per year: rabies, tetanus, EEE/WEE, Flu/Rhino, WNV, Strangles

However, with the EEE and WNV threats this year, I did do a 2nd round of those vaccines after 6 mos has passed from the first vaccine.

Unless next summer proves to have the same threats, I'll continue with my 1x per year schedule.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I do my own vaccines, usually broken up into 3 different times.
    Spring; tet/EEE/WEE, IN flu, rhino & IN strangles for the youngster, WNV
    late summer: vet comes out for rabies
    fall: WNV, EEE/WEE, maybe flu again if I think it's warranted.

I'm currently in the deep south so EEE/WEE is recommended twice a year, and I have never not given WNV twice a year since it came out, no matter where I have lived.

I don't think I've ever had a vet recommend 2x/year for any of the vaccines I give-- and I give virtually everything (5 way, rabies, rhino, strangles, potomic, WNV, tetanus, etc.). I use different vets for the retired and show horses-- very interesting. I'm going to ask next time if the vet thinks there's any reason in my area to do 2x/year for any of the vaccines I give.
    ~Veronica

Depends on the weather. Last year it was so warm, we vaccinated twice for WNV. My horses don't go off the property so I only do flu and rhino once in the spring.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I don't think I've ever had a vet recommend 2x/year for any of the vaccines I give --
    I don't think we're that far from each other, and my vets have recommended 2x/year for some shots for several years now. This year, the vet at one barn recommended a second round of WNV & Flu/Rhino, and the vet at the other barn recommended EEE/WEE & Flu/Rhino. It struck me as weird that it was different, but I just went with the flow

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I don't think we're that far from each other, and my vets have recommended 2x/year for some shots for several years now. This year, the vet at one barn recommended a second round of WNV & Flu/Rhino, and the vet at the other barn recommended EEE/WEE & Flu/Rhino. It struck me as weird that it was different, but I just went with the flow
    We're not, and your post made me wonder why my vets have never suggested it. Now I'm curious...
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I don't think I've ever had a vet recommend 2x/year for any of the vaccines I give-- and I give virtually everything (5 way, rabies, rhino, strangles, potomic, WNV, tetanus, etc.). I use different vets for the retired and show horses-- very interesting. I'm going to ask next time if the vet thinks there's any reason in my area to do 2x/year for any of the vaccines I give.
    If you get cold early enough, there's no real reason to do the enceph vaccines in the Fall since the cold will put a halt to the mosquitoes. If you're having a prolonged Indian Summer, or the prognosis for Fall is to stay too warm, then that year would be a good year to boost them. If you figure you need WNV, then you should be doing EEE and WEE as well - all carried by mosquitoes. But if you're trying to minimize vaccines based on need vs risk, then if the weather warrants, at least do EEE/WEE. That doesn't mean WNV is a lower risk of contraction, but mortality is SO much lower than EEE/WEE

Rhino is a short-lived vaccine, with the recommendation every 3-4 months if you're travelling/showing a lot, so whether you do that twice a year (or more) is very dependent on your situation.

Everything else is very risk-based, and some are not designed to be given 2x.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Typically in my area we divide into spring and fall shots.

Off the top of my head, spring for us is eastern/western, WNV, rabies, tetanus, and flu/rhino. Fall is strangles, Potomac, and flu/rhino again. Some people do botulism too; my vet did not think that was indicated for my guy. Depending on where my guy is next year, we may or may not do flu/rhino twice.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

My two never leave and no one ever comes so I only do EEE/WEE once a year in the spring.