The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cowboymom- Shhhhhhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I saw the picture and after owning a couple of hounds in my day, and am the first admit I dont know everything about hounds, but the puppy doesnt look like hound to me. I may say German Shepard crossed maybe with Rottie.. But if he bays, maybe there is hound hidden in there someway. Either way he looks adorable and best of luck..

Well, my hound is a FOOD WHORE. Complete and utter. And she doesn't care what kind of food, as long as it is food.

But I totally get where you are coming from. I'd always had retrievers and terriers and I think their personalities are a lot different than hounds. Hounds are smart, but in a different way, if that makes any sense. The first 6 months we had our hound I was just like whhhaaaatttt is up with this dog. Her brain did not work in a way that I was used to nor understood. I really didn't love her a ton and I'm not sure she loved me so much, but she adored the kids and was really good with them, so I put up with her.

Now I can't imagine not having Daisy Rainbow (yes that is her name.) She is THE BEST dog. Once she finally did learn the rules of the house, she never, ever forgets them. She is low maintenance, not needy at all, which I like. In the house she is very calm, chill and and downright lazy but she can also be very high energy and active outdoors which is perfect for us. She is a superb jogging partner.

So my advice is give it time. They aren't the type that glom onto you right away, and maybe they are a bit slow to come around in terms of learning things... but I wouldn't trade mine for anything now.

But yeah, I totally understand what you are saying.... they are puzzling at first...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    I saw the picture and after owning a couple of hounds in my day, and am the first admit I dont know everything about hounds, but the puppy doesnt look like hound to me. I may say German Shepard crossed maybe with Rottie.. But if he bays, maybe there is hound hidden in there someway. Either way he looks adorable and best of luck..
    Unfortunately, we can't have either of those breeds at the new place, so I'm maintaining that he's a hound mix.

Flash- I think that is part of my problem as well. He just ticks a bit differently than what I'm used to!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

whoops, I forgot about that part! LOL Definitely a hound.

I was just wondering (which is why I'm reviving this thread instead of starting a new one) if possibly wearing a thundershirt would help him with some of his anxiety stuff? Are they okay to wear 24/7?

He's been tethered to me, but still having just as many accidents. His anxiety level while tethered has seemed to go up, since I do a lot of moving, picking up DD, cleaning, etc. I thought I was going to end up on the other side of town when I started the vacuum.

Just wondering about the shirt. My mom has one that'll fit him, I just wanted to make sure it was safe for him to wear for a while.

Have you tried putting a belly band on him if he's still having accidents while tethered? It could at least contain the liquid while you're working on his skills.

A thundershirt could help keep it in place, too.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

No harm in wearing the thundershirt long term, although I am unsure if it continues to be effective.

I just had one of my dogs in a thunder shirt + another anxiety shirt for a couple weeks, to compress a seroma on her belly left over from surgery. We had her trussed up like a turkey No problems at all!

If it won't hurt him, then I think that I'll give it a try.

If we can tackle one issue at a time, I think that the learning will be easier for him to handle. He tries to be such a good boy, I can't fault him for his background. On the plus side, Dixie has returned almost 100% to her normal happy self, since we got him.

My hound was incredibly difficult to house train. It just took him a long time. He was either crated or with me. He was fed in his crate, slept in his crate. His crate is still his safe zone. If he has a toy (and he does NOT share well), he will take it into his crate to keep it away from the others. They're not allowed in there...it's his safe place.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I've got a sweet, timid hound mix so I can relate. He does the same thing with treats too. Shredded bacon was our solution-strong scent and flavor but too small to really hoard.

When you set up the "potty spot", you may want to think about putting a mulch in the potty spot. We trained ours to go on pine straw because it looked, smelled & felt very different from our interior flooring. If he's as timid as he sounds, he may actually be avoiding pottying where your other dog does so you may need to give him his own spot for a bit.

Have you tried waiting him out? Instead of taking him out every 1/2 hour, plan to spend a weekend outdoors. Take a good book, camp chair & a weather appropriate beverage. Take him out & ask him to potty once, then sit down & read. Don't nag or tell him to do other things. Whenever he finally decides to potty, tell him "good potty" several times while he's in the act & offer stinky treat. Then take him in the house for a few minutes but don't use the p-word in the house. After a few minutes indoors, take him back out and repeat. Add a few minutes indoors each time. On day 2, first thing in the am, carry him from his crate directly to his potty spot and tell him to go potty as soon as you put him down. It makes a long weekend but has worked on all my rescues.

On the anxiety, obedience training will actually help a bit by building confidence. We started with Come & Sit which I called Puppy in the Middle 2 of you sit on the floor with treats or toys. Call him back and forth having him come & sit. Start sitting very close together, then move gradually apart. Build to the point where the other person is around a corner or somehow out of sight. Keep the sessions short so he's excited to play and successful. He'll be proud of how smart he is & think that his people are just around the corner when he can't see them. If any of this works, happy to throw out more ideas. Just PM me.

If he doesn't respond to tiny meat treats, or liver treats, then try tiny pieces of American cheese (I know, it's not really cheese but processed cheese food, meaning not real food at all) because almost all dogs like that.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

GaMare, you have a ton of good ideas. I'm sending my husband to wait him out though, since it's not been over freezing in a few weeks. We spent two hours outside last night with him staring at me while I tried to ignore him. I was thisclose to dropping my pants and showing him what I meant.

DH made a good observation tonight that he's not a leg lifter. The snow around here is pretty high, and I'm wondering if he's a weenie about his weenie getting chilly. We had the same issues with Dixie at first, except she doesn't like to pee when the grass is wet. Everywhere I've walked him has been in pretty deep snow, since we have a teeeeeeeny front yard that we don't want them to poop in. DH is out shoveling him a hole now, so we'll see if that helps at all.

We are working on the obedience stuff, and he's alllllllmost has sit down. He has a bad habit of rushing the front door when somebody walks in/out so hopefully sit & stay will help. It makes me really thankful that Dixie is so solid in her commands, two door rushers can be tricky.

Jan, I don't think it's that he doesn't like the food (which is what I originally thought, because he'd either sort of snatch it, or just walk away from it), he just doesn't know what to do with it. We've been dropping his rewards on the floor, and he's a little more receptive to them that way. Eats them instead of hoarding them in his house. I'm taking things one step at a time.

Laura, I did take your advice and made him his own 'house' that's his only. I actually put it in the closet, since it was the most out of the way 'retreat' that I could find. It's out of the way of traffic, and is working out a lot better than I thought. DH is a little bummed that my shoes have taken over his closet, but he'll deal.

Superminion, you're joking (mostly! ) but my husband WOULD "show" his male dog what to do if he was taking his sweet time. It always worked. You could ask you husband to give it a go while he's got the dog out...although if it's that cold, he might not be willing

Does the dog have a thick coat? Is he getting cold outside? If he is, a blanket on him might aid. I had a Ridgeback who Would. Not. Pee. if it was too cold. She was very polite and would just hold it. Dressing her would get her outside long enough to take care of business. My Target has their Boots and Barklay (I think that's the brand) dog coats on clearance right now for $10 or less, and they come in sizes large enough for my 70 lbs girls, so it might be worth a shot if he's thin skinned.

Another animal friend of mine told me that if DH peed in his ear, he'd listen to DH forever. *raises eyebrow* It's a thought though. DH peeing in front of him, not in his ear. Perhaps DH could inspire him.

I haven't ever seen him shiver. I have an old sweatshirt I can doctor to make it boy friendly, though.

My young BMC is happiest peeing IN the snow-she heads to the deepest snowbank she can find and literally places herself in the snow to pee. If she can't find a snowbank she squats down until she is sitting in the snow.

Some dogs won't catch food either. I had two females that would catch pieces of dog biscuits, and other little tidbits and were great at it. Then, I adopted my boy Min. Schnauzer, and found out some dogs don't catch or even try. Every now and then I'd forget and toss him a piece, and it would bounce off of him. He never learned to catch or wanted to, so I mostly adapted to putting it on the floor, or handing it to him.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White