The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down As much as I love SmartPak, they just lost my business...

Just got a call from SmartPak. Apparently because I split my mare's supplements between am and pm they are increasing my monthly charge by $18 a month. On a $40 SmartPak.

I don't split these for my own amusement... my mare is on UGard which is the only thing we've found that keeps her stomach happy. I want it fed twice a day with her grain. I split the vitamins as well so that the barn owners don't have to worry about which is am and which is pm. They're great people and I want to keep things simple for them.

Back to baggies for me...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

1 members found this post helpful.

I doubt they were charging you extra because they assumed you split from one set of smartpaks to two for your own amusement.

I am sure they are just going on the pricing structure that is clearly displayed on their website. When you order partials it is not as cheap as ordering fulls.

9 members found this post helpful.

My objection isn't that they're addressing cost increases, it's the fact that:

a) it didn't occur to them that a gastric supplement needs to be split per manufacturer's feeding instructions.

and

b) the cost to split is a massive % compared to the cost of the actual supplements. There is no way that a price increase of $6 / supplement makes any kind of sense.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

4 members found this post helpful.

they've always offered the am/pm split feeding option for all supplements.
    If you split, they are essentially making you two entire smartpaks per month, rather than one. I personally would expect your costs to come close to doubling if you split it into two feedings per day. Why would you expect otherwise?

10 members found this post helpful.

I'm betting the cost of the supplements is negligible compared to the processing costs to produce double the number of packages.

If you buy a bunch (or find them free on craigslist) of the plastic, screw on lid baby food jars, I'll bet your BO will be forever grateful. Those baggies are tough to open when wearing gloves.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Did you talk to CS? I find it hard to believe that they couldn't come up with some option for you. I have been so impressed by the things they offer/come up with when I've posed a challenge to them.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Make them up yourself in small tupperware containers. Much cheaper.

5 members found this post helpful.

I agree with those who stated that, as unfortunate as it is that the it would cost you that much more per month, I don't really find the price increase unfair or unexpected.

SmartPak undoubtedly buys their supplements in bulk ... In very large quantities and at much lower prices than we pay even for the "big buckets." A very large portion of the monthly cost, when you buy supplements in individual SmartPaks, is to cover not the supplement itself, but the processing and packaging.

So even though your horse may be getting the exact same amount of supplement, it is costing SmartPak a lot more in supplies and labor because they are having to make double the number of units per month. It's too bad that it would cost you so much more, but I can't say SmartPak is doing anything wrong.

15 members found this post helpful.

Tupperware containers are cheaper and more environmentally friendly.

I used to use them all the time for my guy, when he had to get supplements. I can see the appeal of smartpak, but the cost of packaging has to be weighed in with the cost. Someone else may just buy a 'single daily dose' of something like UGard and pour half in the morning and half in the evening.

6 members found this post helpful.

Though the overall amount of supplements you are purchasing stays the same SmartPak has to do twice the work. They should get paid.
    You may not like it, but I don't think you have a legitimate beef here and I don't think SmartPak has done anything wrong here.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    My objection isn't that they're addressing cost increases, it's the fact that:

a) it didn't occur to them that a gastric supplement needs to be split per manufacturer's feeding instructions.

and

b) the cost to split is a massive % compared to the cost of the actual supplements. There is no way that a price increase of $6 / supplement makes any kind of sense.
    This is because the cost of the double labor plus the cost of the double SmartPak containers doubles regardless of how much your overall supplement costs.

If you were splitting Succeed, it wouldn't be as great a percentage.

Um, you cannot tell me that it costs $6/well (total $18) in increased labour to split an order...

SP is absolutely allowed to run their business however they want, but I am also able to take my business elsewhere. I was totally fine paying the premium on the supplements for convenience, but this is excessive. I am happy they called me to give me the heads up tho so I could cancel my order.

Keep in mind they will also lose my ongoing business where I tossed things in on a monthly basis to tag along on the free shipping. I tended to order from them for pure convenience, and that convenience is going away. ValleyVet charges less on the buckets than SP does, and has almost the identical free shipping offer.

Actually I'm not sure it has just to do with the AM/PM split. I just listened to my voicemail and BOTH of my horses are going up... including the horse who only gets one SP per day ($6 increase) and two SP per day ($12 increase). I haven't been able to call them back but am curious as to the large increase for the horses. I may have go back to baggies which I HATE doing because of the time and storage but $18/month more is a lot...

Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Didn't someone say in other thread that a bunch of supplements were going to be increasing ~$1 in price? That might explain the price increase.

I create my own supplement packs using specimen containers. They're easy to use, reusable, and CHEAP! I put 30 or so in a small Rubbermaid tote and refill them once a month from large supplement buckets.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Will ValleyVet split the daily order into two servings? Does ValleyVet even offer individual servings? SmartPak has a good product and they package pretty well for most people. I buy the buckets and put it in tupperware.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I got an email that mine were going up in January. It said this was due to an increase in their costs. Total rise was about $1 per horse.

Still love Smartpak.

They don't. For the supplements I use, there's a bit of a premium to use SPs over buckets, but it's well worth the convenience. VV offers the same buckets for less money than SP, and matches free shipping.

And yup, will be buying buckets and making my own. I just hate giving up the cupboard space!

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Will ValleyVet split the daily order into two servings? Does ValleyVet even offer individual servings? SmartPak has a good product and they package pretty well for most people. I buy the buckets and put it in tupperware.

Default smart pak

I could never rationalize using Smart Pak. But I've only got 2 horses in the barn so doing supplements was never a problem and it's so much cheaper to buy elsewhere for everything I've ever seen at Smart Pak, be it supplements, fly spray, and horse blankets, etc.

I'm sure if I had a large barn of horses and had to individually mix up different supplements for each and every one of them 2-4 times/day, depending on feeding schedules, I'd consider using SP.

As for increasing costs, that's just life unfortunately. The only thing that hasn't gone up for me in the past 8 yrs is guy that does my snowplowing.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

7 members found this post helpful.

I use the Ziplock baggies which are easy to open even with gloves. And reuse
    them until they "die." Also allows me to toss in some sliced carrots, then shake the bag and the powdery supplements tend to stick to the carrots so hopefully more is going down them. Stick the buckets in the garage refrigerator.

Julie

1 members found this post helpful.

I am curious if anyone makes their own using those xtra large pill containers.
    Seems like they would be big enough especially if you split them up...?
    http://www.amazon.com/EZY-Dose-Jumbo...pill+organizer

Cheap, easy to open, reusable, and already labeled per day of use.

These look neat - detachable too
    http://www.arthritissupplies.com/jum...-pill-box.html