The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Not a shoulder-in?

GM being a stickler for precision riding and accuracy, I am a little bothered by this photo caption (and yes, I realize he had nothing to do with it, but it is an article dedicated to his teachings.)
    To see the photo:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...rk-over-fences
    And the caption:
    "Both groups of riders in Day 3 of the George H. Morris Horsemastership Training Sessions started their warm-up with lateral exercises. Here, Gabrielle Bausano performs a shoulder-in."

Now, I am no expert, nor am I a Hunter/Jumper. I am an eventer that does take her dressage seriously though, and from what I know, this does not depict a shoulder-in? (Horse bent in the direction of travel, 4-tracking, etc...) Am I mistaken?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    GM being a stickler for precision riding and accuracy, I am a little bothered by this photo caption (and yes, I realize he had nothing to do with it, but it is an article dedicated to his teachings.)
    To see the photo:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...rk-over-fences
    And the caption:
    "Both groups of riders in Day 3 of the George H. Morris Horsemastership Training Sessions started their warm-up with lateral exercises. Here, Gabrielle Bausano performs a shoulder-in."

Now, I am no expert, nor am I a Hunter/Jumper. I am an eventer that does take her dressage seriously though, and from what I know, this does not depict a shoulder-in? (Horse bent in the direction of travel, 4-tracking, etc...) Am I mistaken?
    I think it is very difficult to tell, actually; to me, it looks like the photographer might have been shooting at a bit of an angle.

If you read the article itself, you will see the following quote from Morris:

“Unfortunately, our sport doesn’t require correctness on the flat like dressage does. We worry about correctness over the jump but not between the jumps. As I get older, I’m more and more into what happens between the fences because it’s so important,” George H. Morris intoned on Day 3 of the George H. Morris Horsemastership Training Sessions in Wellington, Fla.
    So he might well agree that the shoulder in shown in that single frame/moment in time wasn't perfect, I suppose. But the rest of his observation is equally true - the sport does not require a correct shoulder in. It's just a gymnastic exercise and I would argue that as long as the horse is obedient (in dressage I suppose you would say submissive) enough to do what the rider asks, there is value in it. To jump the big tracks like these kids do, you need a horse that is instantly amenable to the rider's direction (along with quite a bit of scope and the bravery to use it.) No one cares if their shoulder in is not quite the quality of a dressage horse's.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

3 members found this post helpful.

The photo appears to be mislabeled, probably just a captioning mistake. The horse is performing renvers (haunches out). Leg yield is 4 track. Shoulder-in is 3 track.

1 members found this post helpful.

You are correct, what is shown is renvers. The shoulders are on the inside track, but the flexion is right (straight ahead) rather than left. Too much outside rein, lack of response to inside leg. (One of AK's example horses showed this as well.)
    Often times however, the writer does not choose the picture, and there could have been problems there.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

If the brown fence is the wall, that looks like a renvers to me.

You are correct, Bearcat, this is not a shoulder-in. Looking at the horse's body and neck position, and the riders leg position, this resembles renvers (haunches-out) , not shoulder-in.

Today he was having the riders doing si to renvers quite often (with the horse he was riding as well). He was also using shoulder fore (2 1/2 tracks).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Front legs should nor cross in renvers. Looks like a weird leg yield with horse counter bend....

Maybe it is the moment between shoulder-in and renvers?

1 members found this post helpful.