The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Cute ASB with lots of natural knee action!

I came across this video and thought I'd share. It's amazing the action a horse can have WITHOUT all the stupid aids and gadgets.

Link

edit: he does have some sort of strap/chain around his hind legs.

But he does have some lovely natural action.
    Last edited by SAcres; Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Cute horse, but not sure I'd call that a great example of a natural gaited horse. He has something around his pasterns, cannot tell. And obviously the trainer/barn he's at believes in the use of gadgets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCOhnU_iIc0
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I agree with the above poster. He definitely has something around his pasterns. So, the action is not natural, but helped by man.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I don't see anything on his front legs.

Ugg, I wish I knew how to freeze frame those videos. I "think" I see something on the hinds.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I was able to freeze a frame or two and think I saw something on the rear patterns. I don' t know how to save and share with a tablet though.

Definitely has something on the rear-leather weighted straps? You don't even need to freeze; a few seconds in the horse stops and stands a couple of seconds and you can clearly see them on his hind pasterns.

1 members found this post helpful.

Definitely something encircling both hind pasterns. A strap of some sort.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I saw something on the back pasterns, freeze frame the video right after he stops with his tail up.

Kinda like "natural" horsemanship...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hmm, I see something on his back pasterns too. I didn't even think to look at his hind legs for gadgets. His front leg action seems "natural" though, doesn't it?

It looks like leather bands of some sort on his back pasterns, I wonder how much they effect his gait?

On my macbook pro I can stop the video at any time, and make the whole screen on full size.

And CLEARLY at frame 6 there are things on the back of this horses ankles. Also CLEARLY if you watch the horse move, the horse is picking of his hind legs oddly and NOT natural, why? because there are black looking chains on his back feet. At frame 9 you can CLEARLY see a chain on the horses hind right ankle. In frame 13 I see the glint of a silvery type chain on the horses front left leg as it hits the ground. Once again frame 21 and 25 CLEARLY there are black chains on this horses hind ankles. Frame 25 CLEARLY shows a black/dark something against the white of the garage door on his front right ankle. Frame 28 CLEARLY there is a chain on this horses front right ankle.

Ankle, fetlock, whatever.

Ok, need more?

This is TOTALLY unnatural. Not sure but usually they put heavier chains on the back and lighter ones on the front. Even if this horse had dark legs, the movement is so UNNATURAL and exaggerated.

How about a fancy PSG horse doing an extended trot. WOW. Slo mo the even more WOW.

My .02 cents and then some.

I wonder. How is the OP connected with this horse? Hmmm.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yep, hind pasterns plus he's shod all around and there's no way to know if the shoes are lightly padded or weighted. He's got spectacular action, true.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    On my macbook pro I can stop the video at any time, and make the whole screen on full size.

And CLEARLY at frame 6 there are things on the back of this horses ankles. Also CLEARLY if you watch the horse move, the horse is picking of his hind legs oddly and NOT natural, why? because there are black looking chains on his back feet. At frame 9 you can CLEARLY see a chain on the horses hind right ankle. In frame 13 I see the glint of a silvery type chain on the horses front left leg as it hits the ground. Once again frame 21 and 25 CLEARLY there are black chains on this horses hind ankles. Frame 25 CLEARLY shows a black/dark something against the white of the garage door on his front right ankle. Frame 28 CLEARLY there is a chain on this horses front right ankle.

Ankle, fetlock, whatever.

Ok, need more?

This is TOTALLY unnatural. Not sure but usually they put heavier chains on the back and lighter ones on the front. Even if this horse had dark legs, the movement is so UNNATURAL and exaggerated.

How about a fancy PSG horse doing an extended trot. WOW. Slo mo the even more WOW.

My .02 cents and then some.

I wonder. How is the OP connected with this horse? Hmmm.
    Rmh, what are you smoking?

I didn't notice the back legs, I was looking at his front legs and I didn't see any gadgets, thought it was great to see a horse moving naturally. I CAN'T see any gadgets on his front legs, if you can, great, but sorry I didn't use a magnifying glass, blow the video up full screen, and stare at it for 10 minutes. How am I connected with this horse? Hmm...well I WISH I had a horse of this caliber in my barn, but no, just a grade QH, a fat little morgan, and some OTTBS. No connection, sorry hun.

12 members found this post helpful.

double post, whoops

There are chains on the hinds - the person who posted to video says so in a comment on youtube, here is the text:

"Romya1119 5 months ago
    The are born with the talent and then occasionally (like for this video), we put a light set of chains to rattle on their ankle and make them pick up their legs to develop muscle tone.  When we are in the show ring, none of the training equipment is allowed, so they MUST go just as high without it as they do with it..."
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Jan. 6, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

I wish I had taken a video of my grandparents last saddlebred. They bred, trained, and showed extremely well bred saddlebreds and after they sold their whole herd(they were getting too old to break babies), they kept one mare, who was a yearling at the time. She was grabbed twice a year for shots and worming, but otherwise was completely untouched (no, not ideal, but she lived a happy life and made it to 25). Anytime she got excited, she would get that huge saddlebred trot and tear around the pasture. She stepped so high her front hooves reached higher than her chest and her back legs practically hit her belly. Every time someone claims saddlebreds can't move like that without gadgets and that it's 'unnatural', I wish I had a video of that old mare to show them that a well bred saddlebred moves like that from birth.

Yes it is 'helped' by weighted shoes and chains around the pasterns, but most of the movement is bred into them. And realistically, the shoes and chains aren't hurting the horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

11 members found this post helpful.

A very light chain might not "hurt", but heavier weights on the ends of a long limb, moving at anything beyond a collected trot, CAN do damage.

I am not smoking ANYthing. How dare you say that.

I have VERY good software I guess. Obviously, you do not. I really didn't HAVE to make it full screen to SEE the chains. But I did because I wanted to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing. Not lying.

How could you NOT notice the black chains on the horses hind legs? Clear as day. They are the easiest to spot on this horses WHITE legs. They are black chains.

If wish for him, do a search and find this horse. The video is an 09.

Well, it's too bad that there does appear to be something at least on the rear pasterns, because to my uneducated eye, it looks like the horse is having a blast. Again, I'm probably wrong, but I wish that *I* had such a good time when I'm out running! (Or at least looked like I was enjoying myself.)