The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SPINOFF: Show me your horrible clip jobs!

For those of us who have to clip our winter wooly bears, show me your work!

This was the first time that Willow had ever been body clipped, and she was happy to do the macarana in the aisleway. It resulted in the worst clip job I've ever done in my life. I am almost ashamed to share these pictures, so make me feel better y'all.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0c4df1c4.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...ps52582945.jpg

4 hours later...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5ad212e8.jpg

(and yes, I know my lead rope is on the ground. It was over her neck, and fell just as I was snapping the picture....)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was so ashamed I didn't take pics, thankyouverymuch.

Picture this very wooly (Cushing's wooly) horse with giant patches of wool left in random spots, mostly on the off side, around the stifles, elbows and tummy. He looked moth eaten it was so bad.
    That was the second time I'd ever done a body clip and the first time I'd been on my own to do it. I went into it with blades that should have been sharpened, a new set of blades dull out of the box and seriously overheated my poor clippers, plus he definitely needed more cleaning. The clippers quit cutting, they got hot, he didn't like that, I didn't like that, and we quit after several hours. Now I did go back and tidy it up a few days later, but your job looks great!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Meh - Willow doesn't look too bad.
    So you left a few railroad tracks...No Biggie.

I have no pics to share, but I can tell you I moved my horses a couple days after my Clipjob From H-E-doublehockeysticks.
    New BO asked me a couple days after we moved in if horse had mange

Lessons Learned:
    1 - do not clip in a poorly-lit washrack
    2 - do not attempt to chat with friends as you clip - looking away for even a nanosecond has poor results
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Well, last year was the first time Rory has ever been CLIPPED, much less body clipped. And then my stupid little clippers burned up. He was a friggin rock star, considering, and we took two days to do it in so he didn't get completely fried, but this was what I was left with. And yes, he had a little strip of hair on his belly that he wasn't NOT letting me get with the big Osters. I got it a week later...

Rory Man

And then I clipped Odie, and his dense little leg fur was too thick for the working little clippers, they took one go and threatened to committ Hari Kari if I pressed the issue.

Odie (aka the donkey poodle)
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

3 members found this post helpful.

This is one of the worst clip jobs ever. My part was to loan the clippers and take pictures.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat shearing 2.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	37471

Bwah ha ha!!!!

11 members found this post helpful.

Is that a cat?!?!? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    This is one of the worst clip jobs ever. My part was to loan the clippers and take pictures.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat shearing 2.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	37471

Bwah ha ha!!!!
    OMG, OMG, OMG, I can't even!

I think the cat takes the cake.

But I don't think I could bear to put my filly's picture online...

Yep, it's one of the barn cats. She has a thick thick coat and gets really hot in the summer. I don't know if you can see it in the pic I posted, but the look of disgust on her face cracks me up even now. She was amazingly calm about the whole thing:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat shearing 1.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	37472  

Hey, I shaved a guinea pig once with ear clippers...But, sorry, it looked better than that cat *snort* hahahahah!!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

OMG, that cat! My next door neighbor took clippers to his cat and it came out much worse than my scrofulous old guy - I guess the clippers died about half way through and the cat had a furry tutu, but not that neat of a tutu.

Cat shearing. Perhaps we should sponsor a competition?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Odie (aka the donkey poodle)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

OMG. That poor cat! Odie is adorable too... it still stands that he may or may not just disappear one night.

The underside of her belly looks like a chia pet, with hair sprouting up in various directions. I did the best I could while bobbing and weaving.

The cat wins though. Hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

No pictures, but once back in the '90's my then SO and I took in a horse as a rescue. Due to poor nutrition, he was slow shedding out so gave him a bit of help with a trace clip. A month or so later, SO took him on a short trail ride with some friends of his, and one good 'ole boy looked at the horse and asked if he "had the range mange." I still have no idea what the range mange is-- best guess is rain rot. In any case, it's still good for a giggle!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

No pictures, but let's just say that from now on, I will check the A5's blades before I get to work.

That #40 I grabbed in error did a real number before I realized what I had done. The only plus is that it's a small area on her hip. Poor, scalped Rainy.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Ya, I don't think I have any pics either, but I have a 'wooly mammoth' that has been clipped every winter- by me- for the last few years. It was definitely my first time and every year I change the type of clip..... Lol, trace clip, hunter clip, blanket clip, full clip..... He needs two clips in the winter, he's so HAIRY! This year we are taking the winter off and I'm NOT clipping him, no way! I did have to clip my other horses' face though, due to a fungus so maybe ill run down and take a pic of that job at dinner time. Dull blades (yes, I had to use two on just her face) and muddy/gunky fur....bless her sweet heart. She just stood there and sneezed on me the whole time!

No pictures - but every year I give my mare a trace clip. I use a piece of tape, shoulder to butt, then shoulder to cheek, and clip everything below the 'equator'. I usually have to repeat it 2-3 times. The first one is towards the end of October, then every month or so after as needed.

So this year I gave her the first clip - she is VERY well behaved about the whole thing and actually takes a nap. Everything went fine. She looked great and was much happier when I was riding her.

Then in the beginning of December, she was ready for another clip. I usually just follow the lines from the first job. Everything was going peachy until someone shot a gun in the WMA across the street. She spooked, and I clipped up her neck almost to her mane. Um, oops. So I had to take off all of her neck hair to even things up. So it ended up being some sort of weird blanket clip. I swear her Haffie pony friend was laughing at her.

Well, at least it was even and it didn't look TOO bad under saddle ... and the rest of the time she hides it under her blanket LOL !

I shaved a rat once with ear clippers! Poor thing got lice, and, at the vet's instruction, received a tea tree shampoo bath to kill the live lice and shaved to get rid of any possible eggs.

Also... here is a clipped alpaca for your enjoyment.

My blades, and by that I mean ALL of my blades, died, when I had half her butt left to do (and by that, I mean, the right half). I started at the neck and worked my way back on each side, leaving the legs. We were SO close to done. And then nothing. buzz buzz not shaving. Switch to some other blades. Not going though it. Switch clippers. Nothing. Switch to my little tiny trimmers with whatever blade they have on them...nothing. We left for a clinic the next morning looking absolutely mutilated. I'll see if I have pictures!

Edited to add...not much since they're all from video, but in this one you can see the darker skunk stripe along the top of her quarters....yeah, that'd be the unclipped part

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._3231197_n.jpg

Aaaaaand #2. I KNEW it was going to take me two sessions to really get through all the yak hair on my mini. I got through session one, and figured I'd give him a break and play clean up on another day. Somewhere in between those days my niece wanted to go for a ride. So if you can see around all the cuteness, you'll find some lovely clipping skill...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...12251604_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Pony View Post
    Also... here is a clipped alpaca for your enjoyment.
    YIKES! AN ALPOODLE!
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog