The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CWD Saddle help

So I'm looking into getting a CWD saddle but I was wondering the average price range for a custom Buffalo skin saddle? Also I saw in a earlier thread someone had said their custom saddle came with leathers and a free girth. Is that true? Does the saddle come with a cover? My last question is does anyone know any good reps in the midwest area? (I've heard of people having problems with bad reps)

Thanks!!!!!!!

For a custom CWD Buffalo leather saddle I believe you're looking at about $ 5000-6000. They come with a cover, cleaner and conditioner and I was told leathers OR a girth, but that was a few years ago so maybe it has changed. If you can afford it, it's a fabulous saddle and buffalo leather is fantastic to ride in and lasts forever!

That's the right price range! I paid $6000 Canadian for my CWD calfskin leather 2G. I happened to order mine when they were giving away a $750 tack bonus. I got a hunter girth, belly girth, cleaner & conditioner. The reps I dealt with we're great - I initially ordered leather sheepskin boots, but after multiple sets not fitting my mare right as well as shipping back and forth, they happily exchanged them for the belly girth.

That is the price range for a 2G, but a couple thousand high for a buffalo skin, from what my experience was earlier last year. Check with Gary Cooper. He is fantastic, does a great job fitting the saddle for both you and your horse, and is very, very honest. Not sure if he is in Florida right now or not.

Gary Cooper 313-588-2474

I just got my second saddle from them last year and I believe it did not come with either a girth or leathers (and I'm sponsored). I know for sure it did not come with a girth, and I suspect that it did not come with leathers as I have to special order those so they're short enough. I wasn't in the area when it arrived; I was at school 1,000 miles away so I'll have to double check on the leathers, but I don't think so.

The buffalo leather is fantastic! My saddles are both buffalo grain and they are so hardy. The price range that was posted earlier is about right.

Sorry, correction: My second one did have leathers, but (to keep a long story short) it was a little complicated.
    Last edited by supershorty628; Jan. 7, 2013 at 02:20 PM.

I got my custom buffalo/ grain CWD in Aug of 2011 and it was right around $4,500. I received a girth, stirrup leathers, cleaner/conditioner, a cantel cover, and a saddle cover with it. I absolutely adore it! Wish I had the $ to get the full buffalo, but to be honest, this saddle is so grippy and hardy it will definitely last forever. Someone will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands!
    Last edited by Reminisce; Jan. 7, 2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added on

I paid more like $4500 for mine and got free leathers. I traded in my old Antares so I think I only ended up giving them $2k.

I received a full buffalo saddle in 3/2011 and it ran $5,700 with choice of girth or leathers. It came with complimentary glycerine soap and conditioner and a cover. Contact CWD from their website and a rep will be in touch in short order. Love my saddle!

I paid just a little over $5,000 for my custom CWD. It's full buffalo leather, came with stirrup leathers, the girth cover, saddle soap & conditioner. A friend purchased one about 8 months ago and also received a cantle cover which is pretty cool.

Sent you a PM

hmmm, OP are you a woman? You might want to do a little search on CWD saddles and their "friendly pommel" (over friendly to say the least).
    They sure didn't work for me although I really wanted them to, beautiful saddles!

Katie was my rep and she was amazing and it is true that if you order a new custom saddle that it comes with a free girth and cover, though i havent heard about the stirrup leather before
    "I am going to teach you about men. Distances are like men. Never grab the first one you see; it's never the best one, and more will come along."-God himself, George Morris

Hi everyone, I just joined and would really appreciate some guidance.

The CWD rep came out to my barn, very nice guy. He explained the process of fitting. I tried 2 saddles, both 17in, normal/long flap. I chose a close contact. He said I needed a 16.5in, not a 17in (the size I normally ride in). He also said I would get a shorter flap because I am short in stature. I trusted his judgement, he is the saddle fitter. I chose buffalo leather and paid $5000.

Waited about 3 1/2 months. The saddle came, but it looked different than what I remembered (different style). I overlooked the style, I was ok, I was more focused on the fit. Turns out, the saddle doesn't fit me at all!

The seat size is too small, the flaps are too short (rubs me), and the flap is not large enough/forward enough, so my knee has no where to rest when I jump. I fear for my safety in this saddle. I called the rep and he is coming out this week.

Is CWD good about repairing issues such as these? Would CWD rebuild a new saddle if needed?

I am hopeful, but worried...thank you for any helpful comments