The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Do GPA's get bigger over time?

I desperately need a new helmet but have been having a very difficult time finding one that fits. I found last year's model of GPA Titium on clearance, in a pretty brown color. It's sized 6 7/8 and is slightly small. Another GPA model (not as pretty) sized 7 fits me perfectly. Do the GPA's compress a little over time? Would it be ok to buy 1/8" small and expect it to fit perfectly later? This helmet's shape is perfect, just a tad too small. The main thing is that the 6 7/8 sits just a little too high on my head and the straps on either side of the ear connect to the neck strap just barely below the ear lobe. However, the 7 fits like a glove around my head as well as the strap placement under the ears...
    I have heard that helmets get bigger as they break in.
    I've looked in past threads but haven't found much. Thanks for any input!

My GPA never got bigger/adjusted. It was too small/not a good fit for my head and still is after 4 yrs. I only had to suffer at shows.

I'm changing it this year!!! Can't wait to get rid of it!

ETA: My CO got fairly bigger with time, I had to put an extra piece of foam at the forehead.
    Last edited by alibi_18; Jan. 6, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

A good tack shop should be able to fit you correctly. And yes, at least with the Charles Owen skull cap, you do want them a bit tight.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Do GPAs get bigger over time? Only if you study hard

But seriously, I've had 3 (2 old Titiums and a speed air) and none of them have compressed enough to be considered the next size up. So sorry, but I'd say you need a 7 and the 6 7/8 will stay too small.
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you putting your hair in your helmet? If so, maybe adjusting the way you put it up would make it fit better. I had a size 7 Speed Air that fit great when my hair was down the middle of my back, and when I first got it, it fit fine with my hair out so the little foam padding does squish a little. I also have a brown Titium in a 6 7/8 and I could put all of my hair in it as long as I pulled the elastic past the bottom of the helmet.