The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

Default Mares Cycle....& owners in sync?

Ok I will go ahead and apologize now for my ignorance about mares cycles as well as the topic of this post as I guess it could be considered TMI.

Background: I just purchased my mare early November. I was told the day I picked her up that she was on Depo and she was due for it again in 3 days. After discussion with my vet we decided not to give it to her since she should not cycle through the winter. However I have noticed that the "bad rides" I have had have been very close to the same time I have my monthly visitor. These bad rides are not horribly bad just have a "Moody Mare" example today she kept throwing her head up and was very forward and looky.

I realize that she should not be cycling since it is winter but I wonder if anyone has had the same type of experience. I guess I figure if female friends, coworkers etc can "sync" up if this could possible happen between humans and their animals. I just started her on the SmartMare Harmony and she seems to be have mellowed out even since I bought her and I probably will try to keep her off the Depo unless her Moodiness is completely horrid in the Spring.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

No, but I find that I tend to ride like crap when I have PMS, which might effect my mare. Also horses and humans should not have the same length cycle, so...

1 members found this post helpful.

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

I ride like crap Allllll the time hehe, but actually my trainer ended up getting on her today and said it wasn't in my head. She agreed my Girl was really "moody" today. And my Cycle is usually predictable 28 days....But last month it was much shorter (like maybe I am getting on her cycle). Mares are what.. 22 days?
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

I don't think my mare and I were in sync back in the day when she cycled regularly. I think we tended to overlap a little bit. On those days I'd toss the reins and give it a fun day - a day to hand graze or something because she was evil when she went into heat and I was prone to anger spurts. At 25 she's still cycling but our rides are certainly nowhere near as eventful - you can really only tell because the 'ol hussy squirts at anything that will pay attention to her.

Well, a normal equine estrous cycle is 21 or 22 days long. A normal human estrous cycle is 28 days long. So while they might land on the same dates once in awhile, they're not going to stay that way, unless one or the other is quite off.

It's more likely you're just affecting your horse when you're not feeling your best.

ESTRUS AND MENSTRUATION ARE NOT THE SAME!

When a mare is "in heat" she is OVULATING. Fertile. When a woman is menstruating, she is at the polar opposite end of her monthly reproductive cycle. Infertile.

So if you're having mittleschmertz or ovulatory pain at the same time your mare is showing estrus, maybe. Otherwise, no.
    Last edited by deltawave; Jan. 6, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.