Driving Pics- Ladies Driving, Child Driving, Tandem
What is the purpose of tandem driving, the announcer mentioned that it would be used if the driver was taking a horse to market and would still have a horse to return home with after they sold the horse.
It looks very showy, but also challenging! I would also think that you don't get the full 2 horse pulling power with the arrangement. I'm interested to know what the true purpose of tandem was!
- extra horsepower when needed with a cartload (2 wheeled)
- for threading narrow streets that can't accomodate two abreast (used a LOT by the commercial trades in past centuries that employed the big draft horses in inner cities)
- doesn't require a pole
- doesn't require a pairs harness
- fast and cheap method of gaining extra horsepower without changing the current setup of a single.
- easy way to 'road' a spare horse ( a method used by foxhunting grooms in the pre-motorized eras to transport their Master's hunter to the meet without tiring the hunter (who was slated to put in a long day already).
- didn't require a matched pair in height to pair.
Tandem was more used for riding vs driving. The lead horse was the riding horse, the wheel horse the strictly driving. So, had a driver along, hunted the lead horse while the other went home. It could also be to alternate the driving horses once you got to the final location. Easier to turn with a leader. And for sure for narrow streets.