The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Shopping in Ireland

Have any of you gone horse shopping Ireland?

If so what pointers do you have? Who did you work with? Did you go on a trip with a US rider? Buy from an auction like gores bridge?

Any idea what current import costs run?

Thanks, trying to do some info gathering.

I brought over a horse in 2009. I believe it was about 10,000 all told by the time you did the bloodwork/papers over there, flight, quarantine, and shipping from California to Vancouver.

I was working at the barn he was from at the time, so I was just over by myself. I've been over there a couple of times, so feel free to pm me if there is anything you want to know!

I've only been over at show jumping yards, so don't have a specific recommendation on Eventers...but I did go to an Eventing ball and everyone was very nice! I absolutely love Irish horses (although again the bloodlines I'm familiar with are probably a little different.)

Julie Richards goes regularly......

Did a quick search and found this thread (regarding buying overseas):

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...opping+ireland

And this thread (about Irish horses in general):

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...opping+ireland

Not that I think either thread will be completely helpful in and of itself, but it will give you an idea of which COTHers have experience in this and then you can try PMing for more information.

Oh, and my fee for this service is you MUST photo/video your trip to share with the rest of us
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

No help, but can I say I am jealous?

Paddy Hughes you can get contact information from his Webb site for...Horse First ..his supplement company...1st class door to door service 100% honesty from a true Irish Gentleman....every trip w/ him was a real treasure...

I agree, I spent 2 days with Paddy including staying in a guest room at his house. I was over on vacation and I got tapped to look at some horses with Paddy for friends back here. AMAZING assortment of horses and their Young Event horse shows were kick ass. I personally loved the jumper shows as well. Paddy is great and is the originator of the Carlingford Sport horses. I got to swing a leg over some lovely guys and gals and even though none were considered for me it was a very educational trip.

http://www.carlingfordhorses.com/

Heads up... horses don't stay long in his barn. So the website could be accurate but he may have different ones by the time you get there!!

Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I recommend getting in touch with Richard Sheane. He is who helped me find my horse and was fabulous to deal with. He picked us up at the airport and made hotel arrangements for us. He was super honest and easy to work with and really knows where all the best horses are. He also has a bunch of really nice horses for sale himself. We were only there for two days and I sat on about 8 horses, all of whom were of very high quality and were completely suitable for me. His website is www.richardsheane.com. He has been sourcing horses for top riders and amateurs alike for many years now and really knows his stuff. The only scary part of the whole trip was riding in the backseat of his Chevy Avalanche truck while he negotiated the narrow Irish roads!!

I absolutely agree with IrishDeclan about contacting Richard Sheane. I've bought a couple of horses for clients with Richard's help. Him and his wife are lovely people!

Very helpful thread. Foxhuntingkiddo, please update us on your experience!

I think for my next horse I will go this route. My hubby loves Ireland and I think he would enjoy the experience of drinking beer, me driving him around the countryside and letting him haggle with Irish dudes. (He doesn't care about the item, he is just a tried-and-true negotiator!)
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing