The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Preventative wraps/boots in heavy footing.

Just got my OTTB's feet grown back in this fall. Heavy snow up here right after Xmas. Farrier thought it would be fine to let him go barefoot considering the conditions, and he has for about 3 weeks. Started back up riding this week. First time fine, just cautious. Indoor - walk/trot only. (He's still goofy at the canter anyway.)

BO decided to wet the indoor by bringing in loads of snow, since it's supposed to be warm this week. She had a hard time turning it over, though, as it was too heavy for her ATV to drag the ring. My guy is out 24/7 in pasture with a run-in, and the snow there has been deep. But we're not riding in it.

Rode in the indoor this afternoon, and it is fairly deep. Chunks of snow throughout were ok when riding at first, but it had dropped from 35 to 25 by the time I left, and the snow chunks were now like hard packed snowballs.

All we did again was walk/trot. A little leery about him getting bruised feet, but also now a bit more worried about the deep going. He did race for 4 years, and I'd say the indoor footing isn't any deeper than you see it at the track, but it certainly is deeper than we're used to riding on here, and heavier than they're used to. I had shin boots and the ballistic bell boots on the front, and the bell boots had lines of moisture up the back 2".

I tend to be a little wary, so tell me if I'm worrying needlessly. But also just was reading the comments about Southern Pines, and deep footing there. Before I even came home tonight, was thinking maybe I should get some wraps or some kind of supportive boots on him until this ring returns to normal.

Just conservatively working our way up into condition to do some beginning eventing training in the spring. Hadn't pushed him much this fall, and then the time off after pulling shoes. Just don't want to overdo. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Deep footing was made for walking. But that's about all I'd do. Not worth hurrying and regretting--it's only the first week of January!

No boot or wrap on the planet can make bad footing worth working in, other than at the walk. IMO.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Deep footing was made for walking. But that's about all I'd do. Not worth hurrying and regretting--it's only the first week of January!

No boot or wrap on the planet can make bad footing worth working in, other than at the walk. IMO.
    Just quoting this because it bears repeating.

Trying to use wraps, especially, in wet, heavy footing is a recipe for disaster, anyway. Any sort of boot that can absorb is an equally bad idea.

It sounds like the footing will likely be back to normal shortly. Why push it?

1 members found this post helpful.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

OK - he gets some more time off!
    Gives me a break as well. Lots of irons in the fire anyway...
    Or, we may just take an occasional stroll down the road.

And I swear I was not channeling Nancy Sinatra when I wrote that! 'Cause one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you . . .
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

You know what's just happened now, don't you? Can't get the song out of my head...