The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyBayMare View Post
    Ignorance only occurs in the Bay Area?
    Of course not. I was referring to the hippie/new age/enviro naivist/great mother/away with the faeries/granola eating types, the percentage of whom reside in the BA would be way higher than the national average.

The BA is quite an awesome place actually, geographically, culturally and even entreprenural innovation, but come on, you'd have to be in complete denial to not admit the loon factor is off the charts. Which, I suppose, is a natural by product of progressive open mindedness, and honestly I suppose is part of the charm of the area.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

4 members found this post helpful.

I believe the "loon factor" is alive and well everywhere not just SF, gee just look at some of the GOP statements made"real rape doesn't allow a body to become pregnant" but I digress. Wild horses do exist and for someone who knows nothing about horses, not much difference between a mustang and a "hunter".

I don't think it was that far fetched since yes, we do have horses that live in the wild in the US.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Tons of college educated people here assume cows, swine and chickens are incapable of feeling pain, but agree that goats, sheep and horses can.
    Entire reasoning behind that is that we eat the first set and the second set is cute.
    Not kidding.
    ...There were people in the first century who had a better grasp on animal science than those people. Seriously.

(Also, do they not understand where "lamb" comes from?)

3 members found this post helpful.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to honestly believe you can just let a horse go into the wild and have it all turn out hunky dory. Great Mother notwithstanding, there's not a whole lot of "wild" left out there, what there is has an existing population of deer or in some places elk and antelope, and finally the existing populations of mustangs and wild burros. And the existing populations of mustangs and wild burros are under a tremendous amount of pressure to be relocated and or reduced in number by state and federal agencies.
    I can't say how JB's horses would "feel" about the difference in her care or lack thereof vs out in the current lands that are available to be lived upon. Great Mother feeds the carnivores too yanno.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    A teacher at a local school didn't know horses eat grass. She thought all those horses with their heads down were just sniffing the ground.
    Wow...I thought that only happened here!! I did a presentation about food & farming for our elementary school last year. Mainly it was the kids who were shocked to learn food grew in dirt and eggs came out of a chicken's rear-end!!

Perhaps the aforementioned gentleman should have the pleasure of being "cared for" by Ms. Burnell & then released into the wild...I wonder how he would survive....

Good lord... We've got plenty of those up here in Seattle too. I raise chickens and sell eggs at work when I've got extras... You should hear the ridiculous things people think. Some people won't eat brown eggs because they're "gross"... Also if the yolks are too bright there must be something wrong with them, they're supposed to be pale yellow... And apparently supermarket eggs are cleaner because they don't actually come out of a chicken's butt??? That kind of thing is so much more concerning to me that lack of knowledge about horses (although that's ridiculous too). It's extremely scary how disconnected people are from where their food comes from. Did anyone ever see that Jamie Oliver show, I think it was on ABC. He took a bunch of vegetables into an elementary school class in WV and the kids had NO IDEA what most of them were. They couldn't even identify a freakin' tomato! Unbelievable.

All I can say is they were lucky society didn't collapse on the 21st because when the supermarket shelves ran out they would've been royally screwed!

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I saw that Jamie Oliver show. Astounded me. Just incredible.

And, you know, Lori B is correct. And I'm going to contact the Houston Independent School District and see if I can set up a special presentation at some of the schools (heck, all of them if they will let me) to do just that! I've been a teacher for years (law school professor and police academy instructor and riding instructor). I think I could put together an interesting hour or so of material.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

5 members found this post helpful.

In a high school science class at a top ranked public school in a well educated area, several students were shocked and disgusted to learn that meat was muscle. I mean, really? What did they think they were eating?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    In a high school science class at a top ranked public school in a well educated area, several students were shocked and disgusted to learn that meat was muscle. I mean, really? What did they think they were eating?
    After reading more posts I'm starting to think that rather than being worried about the lack of understanding of where food comes from we should really be concerned about the general lack of intellectual curiosity, basic reasoning, and analytical thinking skills. Truly worrisome.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I believe the "loon factor" is alive and well everywhere not just SF, gee just look at some of the GOP statements made"real rape doesn't allow a body to become pregnant" but I digress. Wild horses do exist and for someone who knows nothing about horses, not much difference between a mustang and a "hunter".

I don't think it was that far fetched since yes, we do have horses that live in the wild in the US.
    Why the cheap shot at "GOP"? That was one idiot person.

I have sure heard plenty of idiotic statements from DEMs over the years - like the buffoon who was afraid Guam would capsize if a military buildup was allowed there.

7 members found this post helpful.

And I agree - it is frightening how far removed most folks are these days from "the land" (or "the sea" - I had a colleague at work a few years back who had no idea her TUNA salad came from a FISH that once swam in the ocean! She actually thought I was making it up...).

2 members found this post helpful.

^No more Charlie the tuna commercials for Star Kist? Really?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Suggest hunting them and watch the citiots get their underwear into a even bigger bunch.
    Oh yes! My mother had a bunch of coyotes living in the woods across from her condo. The HOA called someone in to deal with them. Well the guy "dealt" with them. Anyway, the condo dwellers found out that he killed all of them, pups included, instead of relocating them. Like it's so easy to catch and relocate a bunch of coyotes in DC. The condo-ites were VERY upset! I don't know why they assumed they were going to be relocated. They never even asked the guy what his plan was.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    And I agree - it is frightening how far removed most folks are these days from "the land" (or "the sea" - I had a colleague at work a few years back who had no idea her TUNA salad came from a FISH that once swam in the ocean! She actually thought I was making it up...).
    was her name Jessica Simpson?? LOL, remember she couldn't figure out if tuna was fish or chicken cuz the can says "chicken of the sea"??

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    Oh yes! My mother had a bunch of coyotes living in the woods across from her condo. The HOA called someone in to deal with them. Well the guy "dealt" with them. Anyway, the condo dwellers found out that he killed all of them, pups included, instead of relocating them. Like it's so easy to catch and relocate a bunch of coyotes in DC. The condo-ites were VERY upset! I don't know why they assumed they were going to be relocated. They never even asked the guy what his plan was.

In all seriousness, we need to be very, very careful with this level of ignorance. That's a significant reason why England and Scotland ended up with hunting bans.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Bet they've never heard of chit'lins!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    This is what happens with bear in suburban NJ. No one wants a bear hunt, but when one is in THEIR yard it's a big to do, animal control is called, etc.

LOL to the story about the fox! My SIL changed her walking route because she saw a fox and was afraid it would attack her and the baby in the stroller. This was in suburban CT, it blows my mind how little people understand.
    Last edited by chillydc; Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo
    Impossible is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post

These are different versions of stoopid. As a NorCal native, I can tell you that citiot-type ignorance is exacerbated by people there believing that they are more enlightened that just about anyone else, and more just/kind hearted as well.

The guy the OP mentioned would frustrate the snot out of me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I am still haunted by the poor female 'wolf' that was a pet tied in the backyard of a man who had a 10 yo Morgan stallion - unhandled for 2 yrs and uncatchable listed FREE in local paper for weeks.

I finally went to see what kind of pathetic creature the stallion was and what could be done. He was magnifcient, fat, healthy just a BIG smart horse who had been chased for weeks by some idiot who wanted to take him home and breed her Palomino mare! Owner was feeding him a bucket of grain (5 gallon)...had no hay.

I got a rescue to get stallion... who followed me into a stock trailer after 10 days of bringing hay and 'playing' natural horsemanship games with him though I STILL couldn't get a rope or halter on him...safely.

So, this idiot has a female with a prolapsed uterus hanging out!!! Local Humane SOc. would not take her! I tell him I'll find someone to take her...he says OK...but when I leave he puts her in the car , takes her to a forest area and lets her go...snow on the ground, COLD . I tried to find her...I think of her starving and with that prolapsed uterus....UGH!!!

He set her FREE rather than have her euthanized.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post

He set her FREE rather than have her euthanized.
    Clearly one of those people who feel that because it is happening in nature it has to be better than anything a human would do for it.