The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Economical & visually appealing fencing options?

Looking for some feedback on what the most economical AND visually appealing fencing options are for a small property.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

While keeping in mind that "economical" and "visually appealing" vary from person to person...

I think that electric rope on wood posts creates a nice picture, if care is taken to keep all the lines even from post to post and what not. The rope stays nicer/doesn't sag the way that tape does, and is less visually distracting from the landscape. With rope, posts can be pretty far apart. Like so: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....3AWT92U-1L.jpg

I also think some sort of wire mesh with a top board creates a very pretty and minimally visually invasive picture. Like so: http://www.diamondmesh.net/images/horsefence6.jpg
    Or skip the top board all together and just put a string of electric up: http://www.tophorse.com.au/images/Re...1_w577h600.jpg

By far the MOST attractive fence is one that's well-maintained. I've seen some pretty creative fences, to deal with budget or landscape restrictions, and as long as the lines are neat and tidy, nothing is sagging, and someone took the extra effort to lop off the tops of the posts so that they're all even, it tends to look pretty nice.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post

I also think some sort of wire mesh with a top board creates a very pretty and minimally visually invasive picture. Like so: http://www.diamondmesh.net/images/horsefence6.jpg
    Or skip the top board all together and just put a string of electric up: http://www.tophorse.com.au/images/Re...1_w577h600.jpg
    This is what we were leaning towards, but I wasn't sure how economical it would be. We'd like something functional for the horses that will appeal to a variety of horse people, but that still looks nice, since we plan to sell the place in a couple years.

Horseguard.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Horseguard.
    Yep.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Horseguard.
    I don't really find it all that visually appealing, but that's just me.

Which is why "visually appealing" is so, so subjective

I know, I know. My other reason for not being fond of tape-only fence is that we have 3 dogs and I'd like something they can't sneak under. They are generally under supervision outside anyway, but it'd be nice not to worry if I do want to leave them out for a few minutes.

I didn't realize the v-mesh is over $400 a roll!

The 4" round posts with the no climb that we have in the front paddock has held up pretty well for us. Anything other than single strand wire or the 4" square field fence and t posts is going to be on the spendier side, which I'm sure you know. If you are planning on selling that soon, I don't think I'd go all out since a buyer might want to change the layout or not have horses. My favorite fence is: http://www.centaurfencing.com/images...aurPadacks.jpg

Howdy, neighbor!

Yes, we don't plan to stay here forever. Long enough to fix up the place and hopefully make a little money on the sale if the market comes back up, so 3-5 years, maybe a little longer? I need more land to play with and would like to have a good spot to put in an outdoor arena at our next place, not to mention the prospect of future babies that will make me need/want a little more space than a 2b/1ba house has to offer.

I like the look of that plank-type fence! I'll have to bookmark that for my future property. Is that the electrified version? For this particular place, I think we just want to do a perimeter fence around the pasture, plus fencing off that paddock area I mentioned putting in. I'd be surprised if what is currently there makes it through the winter; I finally got the fence charger working properly, so at least they aren't leaning on it, but the flood pushed it pretty much entirely over in the center section.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I know, I know. My other reason for not being fond of tape-only fence is that we have 3 dogs and I'd like something they can't sneak under. They are generally under supervision outside anyway, but it'd be nice not to worry if I do want to leave them out for a few minutes.

I didn't realize the v-mesh is over $400 a roll!
    Yes, mesh is very expensive and not easy to install, and you did mention economical (and made no mention of having to contain dogs.)

If I could pick anything I would go with the centaur hot rail, but again not cheap and it wouldn't help with the dogs.

Horseguard could easily be taken down and resold, so that's another plus in my book.
    Last edited by BEARCAT; Jan. 6, 2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

If you are considering horse wire with the top board on your fence line, you may as well just do 3 board fence. The horse wire is expensive and the labor is high to install it correctly. I have both the wire with one board and 3 board on my farm, and the 3 board was significantly cheaper to install.
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

I have 3-board fence on all but a couple of sections of the property. How did I afford it? I bought cedar "pencils" which have a point on the end, and rough lumber (pine) for the boards. 1x8x12'. I use solid stain instead of paint, and I did all the work myself. (that fitness thread you posted in the event forum fits right in here). You can do 300' of 3 board fencing for about $1200.
    Not sure if this link will work:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

I did not do it all at once but over time I've got most of the pasture enclosed. I find it visually appealing - although the posts are not as pretty as nice square painted posts. You can't really tell from afar.

2x4" non-climb wire with a top board is about the most expensive (and labor intensive) fence you can do. It will keep almost anything inside though, which is why I have one paddock done that way. It's the Horse Fortress.

I can't really think of any economical _and_ attractive horse fence. It's either gorgeous and expensive, or not-so-pretty and a little less costly.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I like the woven stick style fence; it could be very inexpensive in you live a forested or marshy area

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psd598c883.jpg

Eh, I'll fess up about my "cheap" wire fence. I used this wire: http://www.tractorsupply.com/welded-...00-ft--3626481
    which, when I was putting my fence up, was on sale for around $45 a roll.

No, it's not the v-mesh. No, there is not a horse on the label. Yes, it's welded and not woven.

But I've had it up for almost four years now and it looks perfect. I have it on wood posts with electric that keeps the horses off of it, nobody really messes with it. It looks nice, and since the area that I fenced is right near a busy road, it makes me feel better to have something "solid" vs. electric.

I have just my sacrifice paddock/winter turnout area fenced with it. (About 250' x 250' square.) It was cheap, it's visible from the road, and it looks good.

Everything else on my property is fenced with electric rope, which is rarely turned on as it's fencing in grass pastures, and the horses have no interest in leaving.

Edit to add: Putting the wire up was definitely a two person job, but not hard. What we did was unroll the whole roll along the fence line, and tacked up our starting edge. Then, to stretch it, one person would lift the fence up at the post, and put a 2x4 through one of the mesh squares, and brace it against the post. (Towards the next fence post.) Then Person #2 would put the staples in. More labor intensive than electric? Of course. But it took two people maybe 5 hours to do my paddock.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Wood rail fencing is not at all practical in the PNW, as Heinz probably knows--it simply will not hold up to all our moisture and is god-awful expensive. The only farm I've seen with it here is owned by the owner of a wood-treatment plant!

I have field fencing all around our place--the kind everyone beyotches about, but my horses have never gotten into it, it is topped by either a wood rail or hot rope (two different fields), and it keeps the dogs in and the coyotes out. It was put in properly, maintained well, and is still tight and attractive 10 years later.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Wood rail fencing is not at all practical in the PNW, as Heinz probably knows--it simply will not hold up to all our moisture and is god-awful expensive. The only farm I've seen with it here is owned by the owner of a wood-treatment plant!

Ah, yes, regional difference. Around here the cedar posts last upwards of 10 years and PT will last 20. The pine boards have lasted 12 as well although had I restained them more frequently they might have lasted longer. Sorry I wasn't any help....

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I know-when East Coasters talk about oak fencing, I stare in amazement--oaks are so rare here and no one would consider using them for fencing. Cedar posts make it about 5-6 years, and treated can go 8 (maybe longer if you don't hit them with the tractor bucket...or is that just my habit! ). I also have to take into consideration the wind in my fencing choices--our front field fence that runs broadside to the Gorge wind leans--the posts are firm, but the whole thing is definitely out of plumb--I swear, it was totally straight when we put it in!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

We used the wire Goforagallop shared and it has served us well for many years. We ran a strand of electric wire across the top to keep the horses from reaching over it. We should have run one at the ground level because they have pushed it there to reach grass. It kept our dogs from getting into the horses area and kept wandering dogs from getting to our horses.

Last year we added some paddocks and used this: http://www.centaurhtp.com/coated-single-wire.html We used two strands of hot wire and two strands of cold wire. It installs beautifully and has worked well for our two horses daytime turnout. We went with black because white fencing shows all installation flaws. The T post covers are a must for esthetics, safety and ease of installation. I could not be more pleased with this fence BUT my horses are laid back gals- not young hot blooded colts. It won't keep a determined wandering dog out of the paddock which is why we use for daytime turnout areas.

Good luck making your selection!