The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer Safety Supplies

Hi Everyone,

I am so stoked to be getting a new-to-me trailer on Monday. I have visions of me and my trusty steed hitting the open trails on a moment's notice. Since it is the dead of winter and I am not going anywhere with him for several months I am working on stocking my trailer for safety and emergencies. My travels will never be overnight - day trips only - and will likely be within an hour of my boarding barn. That being said I realize I am just as likely to get into a safety issue five minutes from home as I would on a cross country excursion. Please add to this thread with your suggestions for safety supplies to keep in my truck, trailer, and tack box.

Truck
    jumper cables
    spare truck tire
    extra fluids - oil, antifreeze, etc.
    water for human
    cell phone (take with on the trail)
    lug wrench that fits truck tires
    lug wrench that fits trailer tires

Trailer
    lead ropes with and without stud chains
    spare halters with breakaway tabs
    trailer ties
    water for horse
    wheel chocks
    twine
    pitchfork and muck bucket
    trailer-aid tire changing thing

Tack box
    hoof pick
    swiss army knife
    duct tape
    horse first aid kit (vet wrap, quilts, standing wraps, gauze)

Thank you for your suggestions on how to keep us safe and sound!

When you leave, take the boards that you use under your trailer jack (or store some extras in the truck.) If you have to drop the trailer somewhere, you'll need them to keep it from sinking.

As mentioned in numerous other threads, make sure that your drive-on trailer jack is the right height for your *loaded* trailer.

A couple of small orange cones (you can get them at Home Depot) can be useful for directing traffic if you have to pull over somewhere without a lot of room.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

1 members found this post helpful.

Gloves.

Carriage whip or longer longe whip, handy if you're loading alone and need a little extra encouragement. Or a baggie with sweet feed in it, for the same encouragement.

Fly masks, fly spray. Water for horses and buckets.

Broom and dust pan.

Tire gauge.

I always have hay in flake saver bags in my trailer's tack room, in case of trouble and I need to keep the horses happy while waiting for help, a tire change, etc.

Default trailer equipment

Fire extinguisher

Quote Originally Posted by tobruk View Post
    Fire extinguisher
    That's what I was going to say. I have a small one in my truck.

I also always draw up a syringe of Banamine and put it in a cooler on the front seat with me.

Keep 'em coming. Thank you!

First Aid Antibiotic ointment or cream. Sunscreen, telfa pads, scissors, bottle of distilled water. Ice pack that gets cold when you bend it.

Lunge line for that problem loader. Two 3" wide, 20ft long nylon tow straps, works for pulling vehicle or aiding in pulling a stuck horse out of a hole. Learn how the straps go around the horse IN CASE you ever need to use them or help someone else who needs them. Also work if you parked on a slippery place, to pull the truck out! A slicker or rain gear to put on if needed, get horse used to wearing them AHEAD of your fun rides! A compass, and know how to use it, or a GPS device if you go out deep into roadless country. Horse SHOULD know to take you back where you started, after you turn him back around, but some don't.

As a Trail Rider, YOU should always have drinking water for yourself and food that won't go bad on you, like granola bars. I keep extra bars in the trailer kit, in a closed container, jar, that mice can't get into. I tend to tuck a couple bars in my pockets for riding, usually also will carry a small water bottle in my cantle bag. I stuff things in cantle bag so water is centered over his spine, not pulling sideways. Dehydration in heat can make you sick without getting more water inside you often.

Any phone needs to be ON YOU, should you lose your horse. Lots of "holsters" you can strap to your leg for the phone, out of the way. I would ride with the ringer turned off. Sure don't want to ruin the calm mood or scare the horse by going off out in the Big Woods or wherever you ride.

I make sure I have a couple flares just in case I have to pull over to the side of the road. Also a reflective vest to put on in the event of problems at night. And while I've thankfully never had to use it I also have a US Rider membership in addition to AA.

schneidepc - I'm pretty sure you mean AAA, not AA. Unless you are a friend of Bill W. I keep a tube of banamine in my trailer first aid kit, and know people who keep a syringe of ace, just in case. Even more useful than a knife in your kit is a pair of EMT shears. The kind that will cut through anything. They work as bandage scissors but will also cut almost anything you need to cut. We have a tool kit in our trailer, with steel wool (if your trailer lights stop working you can sometimes bring them back by burnishing the contacts) extra fuses for the truck, a couple of different hammers (handheld sledge in addition to regular) cable ties, duct tape, double ended snaps, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, pliers, extra wire, wire nuts, electrical tape and vice grips. We also carry oil for the truck and brake fluid. Extra windshield washer is nice to have. Rope. Tie down straps. Bungies.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    A couple of small orange cones (you can get them at Home Depot) can be useful for directing traffic if you have to pull over somewhere without a lot of room.
    There are also collapsable high-viz cones available on the market...a few more bucks, but easier to store. There are also foldable "triangle" warnings that can also be easily carried in a nook or cranny in a trailer or tow vehicle.

I went over my trailer inch-by-inch and made certain I had a screwdriver, wrench, or socket to fit every single piece of hardware. I keep those tools in a small toolbox with a roll of duct tape, can of WD40, bungee cords, claw hammer, small pry bar, sharp knife, few double end snaps, and cable ties. It also contains a few spare pins for the divider/butt/chest bars.
    Cindy

make sure your lug wrench fits the lugs on the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    schneidepc - I'm pretty sure you mean AAA, not AA.
    Good catch! :-)
    And another reminder to make sure your have a lug wrench that will fit your trailer tires. On my trailer the lug nuts are smaller than on the truck, larger than most automobile tires and it took a little looking to find an appropriate lug wrench.

Last September, I unfortunately had a really bad trailer accident which involved the truck and trailer both rolling twice. The trailer ended up on its side which prevented us from getting into the tack room where the emergency supplies and extra halters/lead ropes were stored. My suggestion is to keep the equine first aid kit and extra halter in the car.

2 members found this post helpful.

Lots of great suggestions. Definitely 2nd all the suggestions like chain, lunge line and whip, gloves, bucket of grain. Your experiences may be different, but when I had a trailer and would take my guy to state parks, most of the time we wouldn't see another person or horse the entire time we were there. Or we may see some out on the trails, but never at the parking lots. He would be fine out riding, but loading and unloading completely alone made him a bit nervous. I always had gloves and a 10 ft. chain lead with a few big knots in it for grip. Things like a flat tire or an overheating truck don't put anyone in immediate danger, but a loose horse at a state park and you're the only human around, or at least the only human around with a halter and lead rope, is not a situation you want to find yourself in.

In my opinion the most important trailer safety supply isn't something you can pack. The most important thing you can do is taking your trailer to an excellent mechanic that specializes in horse trailers for a thorough going over twice a year, regardless of how much or how little use it gets. When I had a trailer I would drive just shy of 2 hours one way to get to the mechanic, but they came highly recommended and were extremely thorough. Most mechanical and electrical problems can be avoided with proper maintenance... or at least mine always were

Congratulations! Having a horse trailer can exponentially increase the fun of horse ownership, you're gonna love it.

If you have the extra dollars and will be trail riding 24 inch bolt cutters and solar phone/laptop charger (they are about $140)
    http://www.rei.com/product/837625/jo...-solar-charger

The bolt cutters just may need to get out of jamb.

Also if you will be riding out alone, there are satellite personal locator beacons.. it will place you with 100 meters.... this one also has a non-emergency "I am OK" transmission button. The thing is about $500.

http://www.rei.com/product/804323/ac...locator-beacon

Thanks for the help! Y'all are making me sound a lot more ambitious and adventurous than I am, but all good food for thought. I am a safety fanatic and love all of your tips that some of you, unfortunately, have learned the hard way. I have promised my guy that for the first year I am not going to have a destination without other horses and people there when I get there - scheduled trail rides, local shows, etc. Mostly I am trailering alone but would have potential support when I arrive somewhere. I have the feeling that the trail riding bug will bite us hard though! Who says an equitation horse can't also hit the dusty trail?! I am in the suburbs of Chicago so our trails aren't very dusty or off the beaten track....

I have made a running shopping list and will hit some tack swaps to find good spares of all of your suggestions. Thank you so much for taking time to reply!

Get some dog-type ID tags to attach to any halter or bridle that your horse may be wearing "away from home." In case he gets away from you, anyone finding him will have owner info. Also, get luggage-type tags and put them on any saddles you'll be riding in away from home, for same reason.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    Get some dog-type ID tags to attach to any halter or bridle that your horse may be wearing "away from home." In case he gets away from you, anyone finding him will have owner info. Also, get luggage-type tags and put them on any saddles you'll be riding in away from home, for same reason.
    Good idea, and Rider probably should be wearing an ID card in an armband or with their cell phone holster. ID should have name, contact number, med allergies, Insurance information, so things are all together in an emergency situation.

I will also thank folks, I saw some stuff I hadn't thought of that will be helpful!!

Flashlight with spare batteries and one of those really obnoxious 12 volt spot lights.

Road flares and safety triangles.

Tow strap (get a really heavy one that would handle your truck and trailer).

Heavy duty zip ties. I like the 24" ones that are about 1/2" wide. I also carry an assortment of smaller ones.

Heavy duty ratchet straps.

2 fire extinguishers (one in truck, one in trailer).

Not only the right size socket for your lug nuts, but a wrench or bar large enough to actually break the nuts loose. I also carry a torque wrench to insure correct tightening of lug nuts. Probably overkill...

Rubber mallet to beat stubborn things with (tires not horses).

Large can of Fix a Flat.

Can of liquid wrench.

Might want to check out joining US Rider for break down support. If you are mostly close to home it might not be a necessity.

I like to remove and reinstall a tire on the truck and trailer at home on a nice day just to be sure there are no surprises if it happens on the road.