The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding the IR Broodie

Anyone have words of wisdom? Mare is on 1 lb. of Gro N Win and 3/4 scoop Thyro L twice a day. She gets approx 4-5 flakes of first cut grass hay while she's out all day, then another 3-4 flakes for the night. She is 8 1/2 months pregnant and is showing some mild discomfort in her feet. I'm concerned about the risk of founder, but am at a loss on how to get the foal the nutrients it needs and keep mom healthy. Any suggestions?
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Soak the hay for sure! The nutrients will be intact, minus the sugar. Soak it for at least 45 min, then drain and feed. Hay nets in garbage cans make it easier...There are lots of good websites about IR. all of Dr. Elenor Kellon's information is particularly helpful.
    Good luck!

Thanks!
    Cornerstone Equestrian

Look into chia seed.

Chia seed actually slows the Sugar conversion of starches.

It helps safely digest the sugars slowly and really benefits IR horses.

Look up Equine Chia.

It's very good for you too! I give it to my horses and myself!

The URLs for good info (mentioned above but not in enough detail) are www.ecirhorse.com and www.drkellon.com
    How old is she? If she is only IR, then dietary management should do, such as soaking hay to leach off sugars or better yet, feed Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes which should not be soaked. That ODTB cube hay is already very low in starch and sugar, and has mineral fortification added. If you need to feed a low starch and sugar grain, use Triple Crown Lite.

If the mare also is older, has she been tested (endogenous ACTH, never ever allow the dex suppression test to be done) for Cushings aka PPID? I do not know if Pergolide can be given to a pregnant mare or not, but your Vet will or should know.

If she already has ouchy feet, she probably already is laminitic, get the Vet out right away if you have not already done so. If she does not have rotation, perhaps the Vet can suggest a low-impact exercise program for her like a lot of hand walking, that can be of help. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Look up Soft Ride boots in the meantime. I used them on a mare who started to founder about a month prior to foaling, it was a huge help for her. She wore them during the day (off at night, but deeply bedded) until she foaled.

Soaking hay is a great suggestion, I find the nets make it easier as well.

Another thing you might look into is APF. I'm using this on an IR/Cushings/Founder-off-anything horse currently boarded at my place, and the difference is unreal. The fat pads are gone, he's built muscle, so far this is the first winter since the current owner has had the horse that it hasn't quit eating/ drinking. His energy level has also increased. I've heard similar stories from others. Maybe worth a look. I used it on a youngster I was having trouble with and was also thrilled with the results. Just an idea

Good luck!
    Last edited by Dressage_Diva333; Jan. 6, 2013 at 02:34 AM.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    Look up Soft Ride boots in the meantime. I used them on a mare who started to founder about a month prior to foaling, it was a huge help for her. She wore them during the day (off at night, but deeply bedded) until she foaled.

Soaking hay is a great suggestion, I find the nets make it easier as well.

Another thing you might look into is APF. I'm using this on an IR/Cushings/Founder-off-anything horse currently boarded at my place, and the difference is unreal. The fat pads are gone, he's built muscle, so far this is the first winter since the current owner has had the horse that it hasn't quit eating/ drinking. His energy level has also increased. I've heard similar stories from others. Maybe worth a look. I used it on a youngster I was having trouble with and was also thrilled with the results. Just an idea

Good luck!
    Thanks to everyone, and what is APF?

She is only 10 so I wouldn't consider her older, and I don't see any signs leaning towards Cushings. She is naturally a very cresty horse which comes from the Cassini line and she has only been with me for 9 months so I'm still figuring her out. I had her on Purina weight control up until about a month ago when I switched her to the Gro n Win.

I may try the hay cubes because of the freezing temperatures right now it will make hay soaking very tricky.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and look forward to any others.
    Cornerstone Equestrian