The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Any Ideas on another Mystery Lameness?

Two and a half weeks ago my pony, who has always been sound, came up lame suddenly the next morning after a regular uneventful ride the day before. Left hoof very hot & not weight bearing, so treated it as an abcess. Weekend came & Christmas which had me doing lots of epsom baths. Before New Years, vet came out, to check. Heat all gone, no sign of abcess erupting, but she thought pony trotted lame on R. front! Used hoof testers, palpated legs and joints, no sensitivity, swelling, heat, anywhere. Gave him paddock rest for another week then regular vet came out. Same diagnosis, lameness in the Right front even though all this started in left.He thought maybe a small infection had started in left foot and pony overcompensated and maybe sprained RF? More paddock rest with hand walks recommended. Any idea what this could be & how long something like this could last? So strange there is no sensitivity on flexion or hoof testers. Anyone had something like this. I so appreciate any thoughts....It will nearly be 3 weeks.

Next step would be a full lameness eval with nerve blocks to pinpoint where it is and then doing X-rays or ultrasounds as indicated. Doesn't sound like either vet has done this?
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

1 members found this post helpful.

Muscle weakness, tendon stress, or back pain on right side for bearing weight from left side? It will probably pass with time and rest and/or hand walking.

Yes LDavis , blocking, x-rays next step if doesn't improve. But like SJM said, vet is hopeful it will go away with rest & hand walk & he wont have to do the testing.The lameness has subsided since the first couple of days when it appeared to be an abcess but the fact he is now lame on the other side?
    I've never had a horse where it's lame but doesn't show any discomfort when being prodded, poked, flexed etc and no swelling or heat?
    Appreciate your feedback. I guess it's a wait and see thing. He is a ver heavy set boy (Scottish highland pony) so maybe the heaviness put too much strain on other foot...

Unfortunately my horse is recovering from a major lameness that didn't respond to flexion tests or poking/prodding and it appeared after fixing a hind end subtle lameness. He had no heat in his hooves. He has fractured navicular bones (right more than left) and didn't respond to hoof testers. At first sign of mild RF lameness we thought perhaps compensating for RH stifle lameness that we had fixed approx a week prior. So there are some cases where compensatory looking lameness is something serious. Fingers crossed your horse doesn't have something quite that bad!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11