The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

CH: My parents own a equestrian centre with a resident trainer there, and she would be foaling and staying with them along with her foal.

I'm really confused how breeding her/your parents situation is relevant. The orginal questions was about whether there's a market for crosses. Yes. As riding horses. She sounds lovely. If you're thinking about selling her as a riding horse, that seems realistic. If you wanted suggestions on breeding her/not, that wasn't really the original question and we'll need to know a whole lot more about her, her conformation, your goals/finances, etc. etc.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

I dont get the question anymore - you sound like you want to breed her - so go for it. Obviously if you want to keep the foal for yourself, there's no one that can give you a reason not to do it. If you want to sell her - yes there is a market, post her show results, and if they support your pricetag then she will sell.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'd also like to mention that one of her dams other foals is one of the mares (Pacifica) used for breeding at Dreamscape Farms.

From a business perspective and given the information you have posted, the better option is absolutely to sell the mare. Assuming she is sound and currently in work and in showable condition, you will make MUCH more money from selling her outright vs. breeding her. Even lovely purebred/registered young warmbloods are selling routinely for less than what it cost to produce them. No matter how nice your mare is and how fabulous the stallion is that you breed her to, the sale of the resulting offspring at age 1, 2, or 3 might or might not even offset your costs of having bred and raised it. In addition, breeding is risky. You could lose the foal--or even the mare--entirely, or end up with huge veterinary expenses, or simply end up with a young horse with some defect that prevents it from being a useful animal.

Further, having taken time off to be a broodmare reduces your mare's value. It is a year and a half out of training and out of the show ring at a young age and future buyers will be suspicious as to why you gave her a year off to have a foal at such a young age, even if you have a very good explanation.

As far as the WB vs. WB cross issue, yes, that will decrease the value of your mare's offspring until they are mature and are out competing and proving their value in the show ring. If you are selling a 6 year old who is out showing and winning--no one is going to care about the breeding. But for a 1, 2, or 3 year old, yes, it will reduce the value and also make a sale a little more difficult.

None of what I have had to say relates to the individual quality of your mare, rather it relates to the realities of the horse market in the US at this time. From reading your posts it sounds to me like you are very personally invested in this mare and really believe in her quality. There is no reason at all (other than financial) that you shouldn't breed her if you are inclined to do so for personal reasons. She sounds lovely, and you probably would have a lot of fun raising a foal from her and bringing it along. Just don't look at it as a money making proposition.

6 members found this post helpful.

And let's not forget that a foal out of a qh cross is very difficult to register with a warmblood registry. Most require that the breedingstock have more than 75% bloodlines from approved registries (WBFSH registries, JC or Arabian). If your mare is 50% qh then she would not be eligible as breedingstock for most registries- at least if you want to produce a foal with full papers. You can always get a COP, or have the foal put in a lower book (like ISR), but that detracts from it's value.

It sounds to me like your mind is made up so why did you ask the question?

7 members found this post helpful.

AirForceWife, I was simply asking if theres a decent market, despite her being a cross. And others are... Upset? About me considering breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by DebutsShirrocco View Post
    I'd also like to mention that one of her dams other foals is one of the mares (Pacifica) used for breeding at Dreamscape Farms.
    You mare is crossed with a quarter horse that you don't even know the name of. The quarter horse is a wild card and not typically accepted in war blood breeding. She's better off in the performance ring and as a 6 year old there no guarantee of her potential or future soundness.
    Sell.

10 members found this post helpful.

there's some kind of market somewhere,as i also have a warmblood x appy/qh. he had the most replies when i thought of selling him,but then changed my mind of selling him,and glad i didn't . at that time he wasn't even broke. so for a horse of good size and show record as big as the royal, i think would market quite well. i'm not a horse selling pro though.
    p.s my horse has glencoe lines as well. and is a grey.

This wasn't my question at all.

Given the fact that she's a cross, I was wondering if she would still be as valuable.

I was not looking for people opinions on me breeding...

ALL of these things I will be considering. l
    Lease, Sale, and yes, Breeding. I understand people concern about her being a cross, but my mother has owned her dam (and we've had this mare since she was on the ground.) And she was the last foal out of this dam, making her somewhat sentimental.

If she did have a foal, it would be kept. By either me or my parents, and definitely not being sold before it has showed. So I wouldn't worry about it being sent to an auction or sale. Like I said, I understand your concern but it wasn't my question..

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I agree, there's been a lot about her dam, what about her sire? Is she a "straight-up" QH on that side? Or is it mixed with lots of TB?
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Aren't you answering your own question? Clearly you think there's a market for warmblood crosses because you own one and are contemplating using her to make more?! I don't understand what you're looking for here. There is always a market for a good horse as a riding horse. As a mare, would she be worth MORE as a papered full warmblood? Maybe, maybe not. Probably. But there's certainly a market for her even as a cross as a nice riding horse. Beyond that, it depends on the individual. Only you know your situation and whether breeding makes sense, you haven't given us nearly enough information to make educated suggestions. Did you just want ego stroking? Your mare sounds super.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 members found this post helpful.

And I'm certainly not looking to go spend 10,000 on a young mare to breed, when I have a perfectly good mare at home whom me and my family love.
    Since you plan to keep the baby, I agree with you!! The fact that someone said the gap in her showing would lead one to believe she was injured is silly, it is simple to prove she had a foal at the time of the gap.

And good lord I don't know why everyone is jumping all over you!!! I could not diagree more with Lady E, I would be offended as well. Granted, I don't buy my horses from craigslist, but where the heck can you find a great baby for $500??!?!?!

To answer your question, there is absolutely positively a market for WBXs, especially an ammy friendly A circuit one.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default good and practical advice

Excellent post, Bee Honey!!

I understand the perspectives of everyone who has posted and I agree with most depending on how I look at it.

Breeding is irrelevant in my opinion for a proven SHOW horse. If she can clock around a good sized course and has a great mind with no soundness issues, I would say there is a market out there for her. Especially, with a decent show record to boot.
    Breeding to me is important for an unproven youngster when I want to get to know what I am buying... even being said breeding isn't everything. There is no saying you will get what the horse was intended to be bred for.

The only question I ask is why you want to breed her?
    She is young, so why not lease her while you are away in school? Then pick up where you left off?
    (No mention of what exactly you want to do except a vague idea of what the mare can do, unless I missed that post)

If you love everything about your mare but are looking to improve her and want a young prospect who MAY have the ability to do more, then ok, breed her.
    But be prepared that you might end up with a horse just like your mare. Are you ok with that?

My filly's grandsire is Uniform, (on her sires side), and I have seen many foals by the same sire who have the tendency to jump slightly flat, slightly more knee action but have great minds.
    If you want another EQ horse or Children's hunter- Great pick. But if you want an adult hunter who pins in the A's...? You might want to weigh your options.

Note- I understand the appeal to improve your mare combined with having a good chance of her passing on the traits you like about her but the cost of upbringing the youngster combined with the cost to keep your mare another year without a lease.... It might just make sense to sell her and save your pennies each month and buy a youngster who shows an affinity to do what you are looking for.

Good luck overall.

I have a gorgeous grey warmblood/quarter horse cross mare....

I will probably end up selling her before I go to College, and if not, I will breed her to frozen Uniform semen my mother has.

I was just wondering if there is any market for crosses? She's showed A at 3'3. And Qualified for the Royal. So, she is above average.
    Are you asking if there is a market for WB crosses as performance horses? Of course, depending on her record. What else did you need to know?

Or is this just a sales ad?
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes, there is a GOOD market for WB and WB crosses, especially in the AA market. The downside of the crosses is they are the most marketable once they are under saddle. Since your mare is already showing, I would think she would sell well.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Are you asking if there is a market for WB crosses as performance horses? Of course, depending on her record. What else did you need to know?

Or is this just a sales ad?
    That's how I read it.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

You have to love hidden sales posts.

OP, it sounded like you were asking if there was a market for a baby out of your made. But when people gave you their opinion on it you said that wasn't what you were asking. Were you just looking to have people say that your made is worth a lot and they want video of her? If it wasn't a sales ad post then forgive me. But that is what it sounds like.