The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbradbury View Post
    As for breeding, I do not. but with the unidentified cross you describe, all I can picture is HYPP and shivers.
    Oh now, COME ON. That's a little SILLY.

HYPP only runs in a (popular but identified and identifiable) set of QH bloodlines. The OP couldn't remember the QH sire's name when she posted but indicated she did have access to his information somewhere. Taking the random guess that he's Impressive bloodlines and a carrier is COMPLETELY RANDOM. And that the offspring is also a carrier?! Completely random guess. Just because he's a QH? Jeez. I used to ride APHA and we had a barn full of quarter horses. Not a one had Hypp. Not a one was Impressive breeding. There's a better chance her horse's sire is not a carrier than that he is.

And why shivers? Because the dam is a warmblood and some of warmbloods have shivers? Because Uniform is big? If shivers is even heritable? Another wild stab in the dark.

I don't advocate breeding horses known to pass on genetic defects but given the information posted here it's a WILD ASSUMPTION that this mare has known defects or that the offspring would be subject to a higher risk of generic flaws.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbradbury View Post
    As for breeding, I do not. but with the unidentified cross you describe, all I can picture is HYPP and shivers.
    Argh. I'm not even a QH fan and *I* know that there's a genetic test for HYPP. I know people who will HYPP-test any "stock type or stock breed" horse they might want to buy... you don't need the papers to get the test done. (And the goals of people who want Impressive lines -- HYPP positive or not because please remember that many horses who trace to him do NOT have HYPP -- don't overlap much with the sport world's goals...)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine