The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My ole guy

My ole guy has pretty much stopped moving. On turnout he will make a short and a very small trip around the barn at a slow and stiff trot after which he stops and doesnt move again until it is time to return to his stall. This is something he has just started the last couple of days. He has a good appetite for his grain and hay but has stopped grazing or at least I havent seem him graze. Any ideas?

Try some anti-inflammatories (Aspirin, Bute, Banamine, or Previcoxx), and see if it makes any difference. Arthritis improves with movement, so keeping him comfortable enough to move around is key. You don't say where you are. Is it frozen and/or icy? He could be a bit foot sore on frozen ground, or afraid of slipping.

However, he may be telling you it's time.

Kate, I live in the PNW, its slighly muddy having not had much rain the last week or so. He is currently on bute, blanketed with a heavy winter turnout blanket. I think his arthritis is part of the issue on why he doesnt want to move and I guess I was always thinking its his leg joints that were bad.. Now wondering if maybe he has arthritis in his neck as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions .

I hate to say it, but it sounds like it's time. I'm sorry.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

This guy is and always has been astounding. I must admit there as been times where I am almost gave up the fight in the past year. He has always shown the will and the heart to keep going and his willingness to persevere with all of his health issues. This, as I mentioned earlier, is the first time he has stopped moving and showed no interest in grazing. This is also the first winter that I have seen his age in his face.
    I love my animals, but this part is always the hardest..

Can he still lay down and get up?

Is it an option to leave him out 24/7, or with in/out access to his stall?

You mention reluctance to graze, is it unwillingness to lower his head to ground level, or does he eat his hay/grain at ground level?

Please make sure he not laminitic. Hope its just a glitch and he perks up soon..
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

2 members found this post helpful.

Does he have a buddy when you turn him out, or is he by himself? Does he interact with other horses?
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Long story short its not an option anymore to leave him out 24/7 I did have out 24/7 up until about 3 months ago. I brought him in as he didnt seem to be fairing well. He perked up - I think he was finally able to rest . Now, he is turned out during the day and brought in at night. I havent seen him lay down and roll either the last couple of days either and that too he normally does when first turned out. Also I dont see any symptoms of lamanitis.

Rhymes - he has a buddy and that was part of the problem on why he couldnt be turned on 24/7 anymore. It appears my ole guy was the sentinental at night and consequently didnt get much sleep. During the day, his buddy was on the move and he was so worried about loosing his buddy I think he never really rested. When I brought him in this fall, he perked up as his buddy was in the stall next door and was unable to relax. When turned out these last couple of days he makes a small lap around the barn and pretty much thats it. As long as he can see his buddy he doesnt really move and even when he cant see her, he doesnt seem overly concerned.. not like he used to.. Its actually really sad. He stands in the pasture with his head at half mast..

Maybe it is time to call a vet and see if there are some options for making him more comfortable.

2 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

IIWM, I'd at least call the vet.

Really, a vet check & some labs might turn up something you were not aware of/had not considered. Fixable or not, at least you'd have your answer.

As owners we always notice the slightest change in attitude, but cannot always determine if it is a sign of something deeper.

I hope it's just a blip on your old guy's radar & he perks up.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Thank you everyone for all the advice and support . I am hopings its just a bad day or a bad couple of days. Will keep him monitored and if not better by tomorrow, will get the vet out..

Make sure his teeth are checked.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Default Update :)

Wanted to share the ole guy is out grazing and away from the barn!!! Thanks again everyone

3 members found this post helpful.

Glad he's feeling better I hope everything is better and he was just feeling a little under the weather. I understand your concern, I've got one that's pushing 30 and I tend to micro-analyze everything he does. Mine hasn't been out on the grass much lately either, tends to hang out up by the barn in the sacrifice area but is otherwise alert, hungry, and healthy. Honestly I think the weather here in the PNW gets to them a bit. The damp, grey, yuck makes them less active. I've noticed when the sun peeks out for a day or two my guy perks up and heads out for some grazing. Frankly I don't blame them because I feel the same way

Great news!!
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

If he is on daily Bute, you might want to consider Ulcerguard or something similar to protect his stomach.

Glad he's feeling better! You're good to him to watch for the signs, hard as it is.