The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

In 2012 I lost 40 lbs and work out 5x a week now with a ton of situps/crunches. I did this for my riding but also so my husband would feel inspired to do the same!

But I still need to work my legs - I do squats but I feel like I dont get the workout for my legs I need unless I am galloping the fields. I rode bareback yesterday and did a lot of walk work and then walk canter departs and some lengthen canter and collect canter work and my legs are a bit mad at me today.

Anyone have great exercises for the legs?

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The Rider's Fitness Program! Many of the exercises in that book can be done in your own home.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Butt and Leg workout awesomeness!!

I lack cardio. But everything else is GREAT. I hate cardio so I just don't do it.

Last year when I was feeling rather soft around the ass area I invested in the "Brazillian Butt Lift" videos.
    I saw the promo commercial while getting my monthly pedicure. lol The guy actually knew about muscle groups and his theory was REALLY spot on. (I'm a biomechanist) so I took the plunge.

I really does work. I get bored FAST and this video is great for the typical ADD type of personality.

I did 5 minutes every third day for the 1st two weeks because I physically could not handle more than that.
    I was in full body clonus after 5 minutes the first time I did the "secret weapon workout".
    I walked funny for 3 days--

After doing it for a few months I would do *maybe* 10-15 minutes worth every other day.

My butt totally moved "up". no kidding. And didn't put much effort into the videos and didn't follow any of the proper workout routine schedules. Just did the stuff I liked the most.

Here is what I purchased. It's 100% worth it. I do only the sculpting stuff because I hate cardio--but I think the cardio workouts are good too.
    It's worth every penny because you'll see results even if you don't put forth much effort.

http://shop.fitnessbodyonline.com/brazil-butt-lift.html

I would do just a little bit while my horses were eating at night--then go ride.
    Good deal right there. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I broke my left foot and that put an end to my 1.5 hour hot yoga classes, not to mention my riding. I am hoping to get a go-ahead to work out this coming Friday. Keep your fingers crossed for me, I am a soft blimp right now. Not being able to exercise over the holidays when you are over 50 is a recipe for packing on the pounds .

I tried doing modified yoga, but it was hard to maintain on my own. I am much better with the routine of regular classes.

I just ordered the Power Wheel. Was going to join the gym - but keep putting it off because of the holidays, company, now travel next week. I have been getting on the treadmill at home for the last few days, so maybe i'll just do cardio and power-wheel. Costs much less than gym membership, and maybe DH will use it too....it looks really HARD.

For anyone who is on a budget, you can occasionally pick up fitness equipment for a steal through the public auction websites where they resell government property for cheap. For example, those who live in the DC/VA/MD area could get lucky as the local and state governments participate in such things, offering everything from autos to Xerox copiers to the highest bidder at usually next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    For anyone who is on a budget, you can occasionally pick up fitness equipment for a steal through the public auction websites where they resell government property for cheap. For example, those who live in the DC/VA/MD area could get lucky as the local and state governments participate in such things, offering everything from autos to Xerox copiers to the highest bidder at usually next to nothing.
    Another idea, if you live in a town like ours, you can pick it up in the swap area of the dump. My husband has snagged a couple of weight benches, a rower, and some other stuff absolutely free.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Another idea, if you live in a town like ours, you can pick it up in the swap area of the dump. My husband has snagged a couple of weight benches, a rower, and some other stuff absolutely free.
    Check the laws though! Not every local dump allows you to just walk away with stuff. In my locality, the county considers it stealing and will charge you with theft.

Check the laws though! Not every local dump allows you to just walk away with stuff. In my locality, the county considers it stealing and will charge you with theft.
    Bummer! We have a specific swap area. We drop what we don't want and are invited to take anything there. I like the old Yankee approach to reduce, reuse, and recycle!

Popping in from dressage-land, but I am also pretty cushy.

Has anybody tried Zumba for cardio work? I LOATHE running. Like, seriously, but was thinking that this might be an alternative. It seems like everybody that I know does it, and while I'm not co-ordinated, if it works I'd be game to bumble around in the back of the room.

Spinning was a good one for me before I had DD, if you can manage those seats!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post

Has anybody tried Zumba for cardio work? I LOATHE running. Like, seriously, but was thinking that this might be an alternative. It seems like everybody that I know does it, and while I'm not co-ordinated, if it works I'd be game to bumble around in the back of the room.

Superminion, as a female cyclist, I have to tell you that it IS possible to ride comfortably. At my fittest, I was doing 40 mile bike rides regularly. Once my bike was adjusted and outfitted to fit me properly (a huge factor for women cyclists, especially if you are on the small side like me) I never ever had an issue. They make anatomically correct, ergonomic seats (hint: if it's super wide and full of gel, it isn't the right seat), that are super comfortable and make pedaling more efficient. It's a lot like finding the right saddle.

So, my point being, don't shun cycling or spinning just because you've had some uncomfortable seats. If you enjoy it otherwise, go to a good cycle shop and get fitted.

Well, you usually don't have the choice of seating in a spin class. You're stuck with whatever they got on the bikes. That's one reason why I don't do spin classes as they have hard plastic seats on the bikes. That and the god awful music they play at deafening volume in the ones held at the fitness center I go to. Then there are the strobe lights to go with the music...ugh.

I have done some of the exercise videos, all of which I bought used on ebay--I like working out at home vs. a gym as it saves on driving/scheduling time. I did Insanity which is effective but very high concussion (it's like an hour of jumping . . . ) and I did "Chalean Extreme" which is slow weight lifting. I love that one, but I really like weight lifting vs. cardio. I try to run outside but I am very fair weather about it--too hot/cold/rainy/muddy/buggy and I'm out. A lot of my friends are marathoners and I really admire their dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post

Have done Zumba and really liked it - it was a lot like aerobic dance with a latin beat. My problem is that I have turned into a hermit and I hate getting off the farm, especially in the evenings. . . which is when the local classes were held.

There are DVDs and such for Zumba. Even video games too.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    [B]
    I was in full body clonus after 5 minutes the first time I did the "secret weapon workout".
    LMAO @ full body clonus. hahaha.

alas, alack, i too am staring at a closet-full of breeches in sets of several sizes. my mission is to be back to "normal" after a Fall with a big medical setback, steroids, and a month of bedrest. =(

so, i've been cleared to slowly resume activity. still have noticeable muscle mass, exercise intolerance and strength loss but it gets better with each ride and activity. doing daily easy walks & hikes, yoga several times a week, and am working on getting a gym pass to try out our new gym. slowly but surely.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

That and the god awful music they play at deafening volume in the ones held at the fitness center I go to. Then there are the strobe lights to go with the music...ugh.
    Yeah what is with that? It's so annoying having to listen to that during my yoga classes, especially during savasana (first world problem .

Today I did a 20 minute yoga dvd focusing on spinal twists (Rodney Yee AM Yoga DVD with 5 different 20 minute yoga sessions) and then I went for an hour dressage school. I was sweating by the end of my ride.

Then I did Jackie Warners crunch free 30 minute ab dvd. Ugghh that was hard. I highly reccommend that ab dvd.

Tomorrow I plan to go to the gym for a fitness class and ride my horse as well. I should take my dogs for more walks but it's been difficult because the average daily highs have been around -25 degrees Celsius. Tomorrow's supposed to warm up to the -12 C with the windchill, so maybe we'll go on a walk tomorrow too.

I should get the release to start exercising and riding again after my dr appointment at the end of the month. I have been really good and trying to follow my dr's orders after this c-section so I can get back in the saddle ASAP. I was in my third week of the Couch to 5K when I found out I was pregnant and had to stop. Hopefully I can get it completed this time around and do my first 5K!
    Bobbi
    ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
    ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Have done Zumba and really liked it - it was a lot like aerobic dance with a latin beat. My problem is that I have turned into a hermit and I hate getting off the farm, especially in the evenings. . . which is when the local classes were held.
    If you go, I'll go!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.