The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

I've been going to yoga or a fitness class a few times a week. I've also been riding daily.

I've noticed a bit of improvement in my core strength, but I still have a ways to go. I think I'm going to kick up the core work a notch by going to a 30 minute core class twice a week and doing a 15 min core dvd a few days a week.

I also have awful posture (upper cross syndrome) and will be starting to strengthen my upper back muscles etc. Also need to focus on stretching out the chest muscles.

Well I'm down 4 lbs so far I'm able to lose 10 pounds without noticing any difference so we'll see what happens when I reach that mark. Whether I can lose more than 10 lbs will be the big test.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default How do you work out when you don't have time to go to a gym?

So my time is very limited. I have five horses, with four (theoretically) under saddle, and one getting fit to run Int this year. I work full time and try to ride in the evenings. I have a lunch break and there is a Golds Gym nearby.

I do have a lot of "down" time in my office. I am a Psychologist and do assessments and I would guess that out of the 8 hours in a day, on average I am idle for 2 of those hours. (I am fast at writing up assessments and sometimes clients do not show up or an appointment slot does not fill.) I could easily do some sort of work out in my office as it is private and I can close the door. Of course, I could not do a serious aerobic work out, for obvious reasons.

I have a yoga mat and got an exercise roll. I am thinking about coming up with a exercise program where I can do it in the office and follow some sort of video (I'd have to use ear buds, of course).

Anyone have a good regiment that is useful? I really need core strength (as we all do). And I have thought about buying one of the videos on rider fitness.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_sc...e2c7e444&ajr=1

Any ideas, suggestions? Anyone else in this predicament?

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    So my time is very limited. I have five horses, with four (theoretically) under saddle, and one getting fit to run Int this year. I work full time and try to ride in the evenings. I have a lunch break and there is a Golds Gym nearby.

I do have a lot of "down" time in my office. I am a Psychologist and do assessments and I would guess that out of the 8 hours in a day, on average I am idle for 2 of those hours. (I am fast at writing up assessments and sometimes clients do not show up or an appointment slot does not fill.) I could easily do some sort of work out in my office as it is private and I can close the door. Of course, I could not do a serious aerobic work out, for obvious reasons.

I have a yoga mat and got an exercise roll. I am thinking about coming up with a exercise program where I can do it in the office and follow some sort of video (I'd have to use ear buds, of course).

Anyone have a good regiment that is useful? I really need core strength (as we all do). And I have thought about buying one of the videos on rider fitness.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_sc...e2c7e444&ajr=1

Any ideas, suggestions? Anyone else in this predicament?

Ann
    Go before work. I joined a gym that has a class at 5:30 am, I can go to the gym, come home and shower/ do hair/ etc and go to work.

If you have easy hair, go to a gym close to work and shower/ change at the gym, then go to work.

ellemayo, congrats on the 4 lbs!

I wasn't sore until about 9pm last night from day 1 at the gym, but now I am sore. Was going to go back today, but need to give my muscles a chance to recover a bit. Will go back Sunday am! I am motivated!

Ann, how about a walking desk? Where's scubed....she just got one. I think they are a brilliant idea!

I think I'm losing weight, but not for the right reasons (forgetting to eat/not making time to eat rather than eating better). The bike is dusty.

a walking desk??? Google, here I come!

Just checked out the walking desk and I don't think it would fit into my office. What an ingenious idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Go before work. I joined a gym that has a class at 5:30 am, I can go to the gym, come home and shower/ do hair/ etc and go to work.

If you have easy hair, go to a gym close to work and shower/ change at the gym, then go to work.
    ^^ this is a great idea. I am not sure how dedicated I would be though . Several years ago, I signed on at a gym and decided to go early in the morning and I just didn't get it done. The gyms are near work. I live far away from everything civilized. Thanks! I will consider this if I can't find a way to work out while I'm at work...

I get up early and do a workout video while my horses eat (one is a slow eater . . . ). After work I just don't have the motivation/energy--much easier to get excited for riding.

There is a woman I work with who sits on one of those big balls instead of a chair and swears by it. I am considering--as long as I'm stuck sitting those hours anyway . . .

I could easily do some sort of work out in my office as it is private and I can close the door. Of course, I could not do a serious aerobic work out, for obvious reasons.

You don't need aerobic work or a video or even much more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

Do bodyweight exercises. Squats and lunges of different types, push-ups, mountain climbers, wall presses, etc. Make a set of 2 or 3 different exercises -- say, ab roll-outs, prisoner squats, pushups -- do 1x12 in sequence x 3. Pick three different exercises for your next break for that day.

YouTube has loads of videos on these exercises. Like this one.

Don't expect it to be easy if you're doing it right. When you engage your sympathetic nervous system you can only do so for brief periods of time, whether you are a human or a horse (the best explanation of this is in Jean-Marie Denoix's book Physical Therapy and Massage for the Horse). After going through a cycle of unfamiliar bodyweight exercises that really stress your system, you may feel exhausted or shaky or nauseous, even if you've only been exercising for a few minutes. But this is how progress is made.

I recommended the Power Wheel earlier on this thread. It's an excellent office toy, although you can use a foam roll for the same purpose.

The walking desk isn't going to get anyone fit. It might keep you moving, you'll burn some calories, but fitness won't happen that way.

JER, I forgot about the power wheel. I have one of the big balls to sit on and you can do a ton of exercises with those things as well. I just have to remember how to do them from when I went to a gym regularly.

The roll is also great. But I will need to study via a book or video to make sure I am using the roll, power wheel, and ball correctly. I am beginning to feel optimistic about this.

I also need to walk or run more. Just in the past month, since I started this job, I feel much less fit and it's because I am not moving about. My previous job required that I go to quite a few different sites, and just getting to and from, and the walking and moving about, made a big difference. Plus, the weather has been terrible for riding (no indoor, rock frozen ground etc). So I am probably in worse shape than I've been in years, if not in forever.

So, this may just work!

Lightbulb Burpees!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU9vmUk8jUg

I forgot about Burpees. I could certainly bring some shoes and do a few of these each day....

Ann

JER, I forgot about the power wheel. I have one of the big balls to sit on and you can do a ton of exercises with those things as well. I just have to remember how to do them from when I went to a gym regularly.

The roll is also great. But I will need to study via a book or video to make sure I am using the roll, power wheel, and ball correctly. I am beginning to feel optimistic about this.
    The PowerWheel video is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkVWUxzTB-Q. So is just about every other exercise. YouTube has it all.

I also need to walk or run more. Just in the past month, since I started this job, I feel much less fit and it's because I am not moving about. My previous job required that I go to quite a few different sites, and just getting to and from, and the walking and moving about, made a big difference. Plus, the weather has been terrible for riding (no indoor, rock frozen ground etc). So I am probably in worse shape than I've been in years, if not in forever.
    Walk or run for what purpose? If you want fitness, short bursts of engaging exercise will do far more for you. If you're riding and caring for five horses, you're getting a good amount of steady-state aerobic movement already.

You need intensity for improvement.

Here is the Exercise "Roll" that I have. I have used it once, even though I bought it in November.

http://www.tptherapy.com/shop/smrt-c...ndle-pack.html

And I already bought the exercise wheel. Free shipping if ordered through Amazon.com
    Last edited by Winding Down; Feb. 2, 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Walk or run for what purpose? If you want fitness, short bursts of engaging exercise will do far more for you. If you're riding and caring for five horses, you're getting a good amount of steady-state aerobic movement already.

You need intensity for improvement.
    I believe I need both. My cardio fitness is not good, despite doing chores etc. I just don't get my heartrate up at all when caring for horses. Same with riding. I could could also stand to lose the 10 lbs I've gained since October.

And I already bought the exercise wheel. Free shipping if ordered through Amazon.com
    Excellent. You'll love it.

The PowerWheel is also a very good tool for keeping the cat off the sofa.

The PowerWheel is also a very good tool for keeping the cat off the sofa.
    ^^ Wha?? Do you wack the cat with the wheel, while lying down watching tv?

^^ Wha?? Do you wack the cat with the wheel, while lying down watching tv?
    I don't watch TV. We have one but I'm not sure that I'd know how to turn it on. It's in a side room, not the main living room, so it really isn't on my radar. Plus, I've never been in the habit of watching TV.

One of my cats is a dreadful, hairy, self-aggrandizing beast named, appropriately, Chairman Mao. He only wants to be where he is not wanted. Rather than shoo him away -- which only fuels his ego and determination to annoy -- I put the power wheel next to him. It's unstable, it's not cuddly, and it's exercise equipment. He waits it out for a few seconds, then scurries off to plot his next move.

haha, sounds like it is worth the price just for that. Chairman Meow Tse Tung! Bahaha!

I don't watch TV. We have one but I'm not sure that I'd know how to turn it on. It's in a side room, not the main living room, so it really isn't on my radar. Plus, I've never been in the habit of watching TV.

One of my cats is a dreadful, hairy, self-aggrandizing beast named, appropriately, Chairman Mao. He only wants to be where he is not wanted. Rather than shoo him away -- which only fuels his ego and determination to annoy -- I put the power wheel next to him. It's unstable, it's not cuddly, and it's exercise equipment. He waits it out for a few seconds, then scurries off to plot his next move.

Quote Originally Posted by DefyingGravityEventing View Post
    I have two horses under 14.3 hands... and since I expect such great things from them (one does advanced), I give myself a weight to stay around. During the competition season, I have found that the p90x DVDs are the most helpful... I wake up early before work (because at the end of the day I'm exhausted or need to spend quality time with the boyfriend - so he doesn't think I love the horses that much more than him!). I don't do the workouts that religiously (usually 4-5 times a week)... because I don't feel the need to be a complete beast... just enough to keep the 5-10 lbs off..... And I keep my snacks healthy... nuts, oatmeal, all that good stuff! (And only one glass of wine in the evenings).

In one of the DVDs, the "team member" has one leg... and good lord he kicks my butt every time! Super depressing.
    I also still enjoy the P90X DVD's ... "out of style" now but I still find them effective. My problem is that I don't have a suitable area in this particular house to clear out room to do them. the living room is very small and it's hard to move the furniture far enough out of the way.

We are moving in a few months so I think a bigger living room or spare room might be something I look for in a new house.

Until then - I still ride 1-2 horses a day. I try to walk as much as possible (I park far away from the door of stores) and I try to do a lot farm chores that keep me moving. Ground driving around the neighborhood is great because you have to actually walk behind the horse, rather briskly.