The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

I went paleo Jan 1st and have never felt so motivated or great. My need to eat all the time is gone my hunger has decreased and I'm amazed by the energy I have. I used to cut my rides short after work to get home to eat b/c I wanted to gnaw my arm off but now I take my time and am just mildly hungry by the time I get home and get dinner cooked. Cutting out wheat (and rice, beans and sugar) for me has made a HUGE difference. It is very hard in the beginning and takes a lot of planning but it's totally worth it. I've lost 5 of the 15lbs I wanted to lose in the first two weeks without changing my exercise. I wanted to first address my diet then add more exercise. I do go for a 2 mile walk with my dog every morning and ride almost every other day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Something to look into. Very eye opening.
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/0...william-davis/

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    (Funny thing, Doc told me not to run, and even said to hold off on the elliptical. When I asked him if I could still ride, he looked at me dead-pan and said, "I know you horse people too well. It is pointless to tell you not to ride, because you will, anyway. Particularly you crazy Eventer types!"
    Haha! That reminds me of my OBgyn when I was pregnant and asking him if I could keep riding. He pretty much said the same thing and then "just try not to fall off" (I actually did fall off when I was about 3 months pregnant - no probs, but after that, I stopped jumping :P)

Another doctor had a good laugh when I had him set my broken hand into a curved cast so I could still hold reins.

I wish my gym offered Tae Bo classes! I did that years ago and it was a lot of fun.
    I did Zumba for 1 hour this morning, then rode in the indoor for 40 mn, mostly trot and canter to keep my little fruit loop busy. Considering it was her first time back in the indoor in about a year, (BIG busy barn, lots of commotion and noise), she wasn't bad at all and we managed to have a decent workout without inducing chaos. Phew.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'm another Insanity fan. Ive always been what I consider moderately fit. I'd tried Jillian michaels (which I totally recommend for people just getting into working out, anyone can do it and you can push as hard as you need to) and p90x - which I can not stand. I'm sorry but Tony, you're voice and comments drive me up the wall! Even after being dedicated to these regimens I still never felt past moderately fit.
    Then I tried insanity and it is perfect. Besides being screamingly hard, I've developed a nice 2-pack and can see the muscle definition in my delts, back, quads, calves, everything. All that and I never even finished the program, life (illness) got in the way. Now that I've restarted I can feel the residual strength that I still have. Sports, riding, even running with my dog have all benefitted immensely. I recommend it to everyone who needs to go to the next level!

As far as food goes, I eat way more when I'm fit than when I'm not. Food is my biggest weakness, I LOVE it and adore cooking.
    I've heard of paleo and all those things, tried out the anti-candida diet for personal reason (no wheat, sugar, yeast, most grains, dairy, vinegars and processed stuff) and those last five pounds just melted off. Not only that but I felt healthy and energized. I can't stick to anything that strict long term but it's changed the way I eat in general.
    Wheatbelly is a real thing! Stop eating wheat, cut out as much sugar as you can and eat vegetables! You'll lose bloat, gassy bellies and gain health. As a side effect, you'll lose weight! Sugar/ processed foods is a legitimate addiction, that's why you feel so hungry when you start a diet.. Cut those things out and your body craaaaaaaves. Get past the first two weeks and Tada! You're not starving anymore.

Do you have any recipe website recommendations for Paleo? I've been interested in trying it out. I get enough sleep, eat pretty good, exercise, but never have any energy!

Quote Originally Posted by stargzng386 View Post
    I went paleo Jan 1st and have never felt so motivated or great. My need to eat all the time is gone my hunger has decreased and I'm amazed by the energy I have. I used to cut my rides short after work to get home to eat b/c I wanted to gnaw my arm off but now I take my time and am just mildly hungry by the time I get home and get dinner cooked. Cutting out wheat (and rice, beans and sugar) for me has made a HUGE difference. It is very hard in the beginning and takes a lot of planning but it's totally worth it. I've lost 5 of the 15lbs I wanted to lose in the first two weeks without changing my exercise. I wanted to first address my diet then add more exercise. I do go for a 2 mile walk with my dog every morning and ride almost every other day.

I did 30 minutes on the eliptical at the gym last night. I wouldn't have gone if it weren't for my SO making me go. He's trying to lose some weight so he's been pushing me to go when I would rather just slack off .

uggh I hate just slogging along on some machine. I would much rather go to a fitness or yoga class for an hour. Unfortunately the classes at my gym are all done by noon on the weekends, but I ride during the am on weekends. uggh, first world problems

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    I did 30 minutes on the eliptical at the gym last night. I wouldn't have gone if it weren't for my SO making me go. He's trying to lose some weight so he's been pushing me to go when I would rather just slack off .

uggh I hate just slogging along on some machine. I would much rather go to a fitness or yoga class for an hour. Unfortunately the classes at my gym are all done by noon on the weekends, but I ride during the am on weekends. uggh, first world problems
    Lol! There is no real gym/fitness club in Middleburg. I have to drive 20-25-30 minutes to get to any of them. There IS a yoga studio, supposedly, but all the classes are mid morning. I think they cater to the independent wealthy who don't need to work who also us working horsefolk work for...still, totally a first world problem!

I have NON existent fitness, as I haven't jumped a full course since May of 2012, due to 2 broken horses and having to work to get hours to apply to vet school.

Now, I am half leasing a BN/N event horse, and we are both out of shape. I'm thinking about joining the gym that is a 2 minute walk from my apartment, and I'm going to try to start riding at least 3x a week. Ideally, I'd ride 4x a week, but I'm not sure that is going to happen.

I see lots of trot sets in the future

Footing is still terrible (rutty, icy) in the ring.
    So I went xc skiing instead. The conditions were terribly icy, but great workout for 1 and 1/2 hours. And a few falls, too :P
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I was going through my desk and came across a picture from my college days. Oh my was that ever motivating to never allow myself to look like that again. Thank goodness I don't drink and eat like I did back then. Pizza critters and Sangria anyone? Even then I was running a lot and was heavy from all the bad food. I think Crossfit will be a good fit for me. I just hope I don't throw up. I keep the picture available for motivation. I have to beat myself out of the bed to make it to power hour after working night shift, but I do feel better once it's over. I love reading everyone's thoughts, very funny and inspiring!

Reviving this thead

I have 20 lbs of fat to loose and many muscles to remake. I'm down to no rideable horses, well the new horse will be restarted in March, so he's just not rideable yet. I was in good shape riding more than one a day and watching what I eat. Spent the last few months not riding and stress eating, and well it shows

So today I did my first class of fighter conditioning at the local boxing gym! They have classes every day, multiple times a day, starting at 5:30 am, and I can walk there, so I have NO excuses not to go. It went well, I didn't die, and I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow.

I am so unhappy with my weight and physique right now, nevermind fitness for the spring season. I am very happy that I got off my butt and did this, it is an investment in myself.

I'm still wondering who stole my metabolism sigh good times mid thirties.

Bah. I fell off the wagon. Stress and a few other things just got in the way....
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Been too cold and frozen to ride without an indoor, but I have been to yoga three times a week. Lost some weight already and feeling so much more fit. I wish I could do it on my own, but if I don't go to class, it doesn't happen. Foot is getting rehabbed. I figure 9 weeks of nothing will take 9 weeks to rehab.

So reading these recent posts is getting me motivated to do something beside riding, especially since I can't ride when the ring is frozen and there is ice on the trails. I work right down the road from a gym so there's really no excuse. I'm going to ponder this over the weekend and come up with a fitness plan by Monday!

Well the hubby came home this week with a family membership to our county rec center that's less than 10 minutes away. Gym, pool (indoor and outdoor) walking trails, classes etc. No excuses now.

I've been working with a trainer once a week at a private gym for almost a year now focusing on core strength and stability. The difference in the saddle is huge. Now I need to bump up the cardio and be a little more committed to my list of floor exercises between training sessions.

Ten pounds get me to my fighting weight. With two horses that should be going this spring--even if it's at BN and N--it's time to step it up a notch!

Goal this weekend: tour new workout place, get in one good workout with both cardio and core.

Default Jillian Michaels!

I'm in week two of my Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Right now, more than a 30 min work out is just too hard to fit in thanks to a commute that is over an hour long. So 30 day shred is perfect for me.

And of course now that I'm motivated, I seem to have reinjured my knee. I did something to it last year (horse related) and had a sharp pain with my joint whenever going up stairs on standing up from a squat. Something about pushing up on my knee causes a sharp pain. It doesn't happen all the time, just some of the time. Its been pain free for the past few months and I was thrilled to start being more active again.

This morning, I was climbing onto a bar stool and as I pushed up with my left leg, something popped and I'm back to square one. Debating on calling the orthopaedic. There is not pain, and only swelling when pushing up from a bent knee. Any ideas? I may end up posting this in the disability forum to see if anyone has some ideas. Or, I could suck it up and get to a doctor.

Is there still a COTH team/group on Sparkpeople? I did a search but couldn't find it there...

I'm not an eventer but can I play too?
    I'll have been doing Paleo for 4 weeks tomorrow and I'm down 20 lbs!!!! I still have a good bit to go but I'm really excited about how it's working for me so far. I have sooooo much more energy and the cravings are slowly going away. I'm an endurance rider and the first ride of my season is the end of March, so my goal is to be down another 20 by then. Besides eating Paleo, I've been riding a lot (2 hours of posting trot will burn some calories for sure LOL!) and doing a good bit of hiking in between. I am finding the Paleo not hard to follow at all once I got through the first couple of weeks.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    And of course now that I'm motivated, I seem to have reinjured my knee. I did something to it last year (horse related) and had a sharp pain with my joint whenever going up stairs on standing up from a squat. Something about pushing up on my knee causes a sharp pain. It doesn't happen all the time, just some of the time. Its been pain free for the past few months and I was thrilled to start being more active again.

This morning, I was climbing onto a bar stool and as I pushed up with my left leg, something popped and I'm back to square one. Debating on calling the orthopaedic. There is not pain, and only swelling when pushing up from a bent knee. Any ideas? I may end up posting this in the disability forum to see if anyone has some ideas. Or, I could suck it up and get to a doctor.
    Hmm. I've always had this issue, and always thought it was normal.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

We should start a COTH fitocracy team, if there isn't one already...
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

Yes! I would be so interested!

Quote Originally Posted by nuevaburro View Post
    We should start a COTH fitocracy team, if there isn't one already...