The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    T
    I've been going to the gym tho, because if I don't go 8 times a month I actually have to pay ( I love that, it's great motivation!). I only go to fitness classes, otherwise I can't get motivated. So it's Zumba, Pilates, something called "Body step" and "body pump". It's fun and good for me.
    Same here. I can't go on the elipitical for 30 minutes. I'll stop after 15 minutes because I'm so bored, but a fitness class forces me to commit to the whole hour.

I went to a Yin yoga class tonight. I've never been to this type of yoga before, but I'll make a point to go back since it focuses on using props and holding poses for long periods of time with a focus on opening up your hips, pelvis, stretching out your hip flexors/hamstrings etc. Good for riding!

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    Same here. I can't go on the elipitical for 30 minutes. I'll stop after 15 minutes because I'm so bored, but a fitness class forces me to commit to the whole hour.

I went to a Yin yoga class tonight. I've never been to this type of yoga before, but I'll make a point to go back since it focuses on using props and holding poses for long periods of time with a focus on opening up your hips, pelvis, stretching out your hip flexors/hamstrings etc. Good for riding!
    Start a great series of books on your nook or kindle.
    I get to 45 minutes, I am sweating and did not even realize the time.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a friend who lost 10 pounds just my switching from doing 30 minutes on his elliptical to watching DVDs of TV shows that he didn't otherwise have a chance to watch (one episode with out commercials = 45 minutes). The extra 45-60 minutes per week (elliptical 3-4 times a week) and he lost 10 pounds in 2 months.

I personally like either movies or sporting events. Did 2.5 hours on the elliptical watching the Ravens game last Sunday.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yippee! My foot is healed enough to start back to regular activities! I am headed to my first yoga class tonight. I managed to keep the pounds off for the first 4 weeks of incarceration (uh, resting the foot), but the second 4 weeks did not go well. They coincided with the holidays, and it all went downhill.

I've been trying to get in shape too so when I can ride in the summer, it won't be complete hell! I don't feel like I need to lose any weight, I just want to be strong, healthy, and full of energy like I used to be. Working out also relives a lot of stress for me. I love the feeling afterwards.

Because I don't run, nor would I around campus because that would EMBARRASSING, I'm limited to exercising in my dorm room. My only equipment is a Wii console to play fitness and dance games, a yoga mat, and a foam roller. I also have some free apps on my phone that go through body weight exercises; I should get a yoga one too, I feel like that would be very beneficial. After I do a workout, I use the foam roller then stretch. There was an off topic post about foam rollers if you don't know what they are. I love mine! I think other equestrians would too because they really get all those kinks out. Painfully, of course, but it gets less so with time.

I did MyFitness Pal last summer when I needed to lose weight, it really showed me where I needed to cut back and what foods are total fluff. I always have a water bottle nearby and I think that curbs the "bored" eating (chewing gum helps too). I've cut back on soda (I was drinking diet anyway but I still don't think that's healthy either) and sweet tea (unsweet and a splash of sweet, or one no calorie sugar packet). My weakness is Starbucks but I've weaned myself off the super high sugar/fat drinks and I actually like iced coffee black (still can't drink it hot, just a little non-fat milk to take the edge off), and if I feel the need for a "fancy" drink, I get it skinny. I limit myself to one caffeinated drink a day in the morning.

When I do get to ride, I'm going to do a lot of my ring work without stirrups. My New Years resolution is to get to the barn before camp (work) to ride my horse before the sun comes up and it gets so damn HOT!
    I'm going to wear sunscreen too, more of a health resolution than fitness, but I really need to do this. <--- can't back out now, it's in writing! :P

Went for a 1 hour power yoga class yesterday after getting cleared by the podiatrist to go back to activites. Felt great, but getting that foot to bend after 9 weeks of keeping it straight wasn't easy. Going to go to another class Sunday. Would like to ride, but the footing is dreadful. It was frozen yesterday, and now it is raining, so my ring is slop. Not what I want for my first ride back.

I spent 30 minutes on the eliptical tonight. I was planning on going to a 30 core workout class, but I got there too late and the class was already packed (can't wait till people quit their new years resolution ).

I'm planning on going to another Yin Yoga class tomorrow evening.

I've also been riding every day and trying to focus on sitting up and not slumping. I'm going to start practising 2 point too, especially since I'm starting my horse over fences.

I'm jealous. I would really like to trade my tread mill for an elliptical! Aside from riding, I did ~20 minutes of lunges and crunches last night. It was all I could muster after a long day, not much, but I went on the theory that something is better than nothing.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I'll join in!

I had a baby last April and while I have lost the baby weight I'm *ahem* kinda wimpy and jiggly now. Really hoping to get my little mare out more this year and we both need to be more fit. Mostly trail riding bareback as it is cold here.

Any suggestions for things I can do at home? I'm home alone with baby 4 days out of the week and gym is out of the budget, I've been doing pilates (library has tons of dvds) and lugging a huge baby around.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

I can't really ride because the footing (ice under 3" of snow) is too treacherous in the ring and trails. All we do is walk and a bit of slow trotting, trying to avoid taking any corners at speed. On the plus side, lots of transitions needed!

But this morning I skied xc for 2 hours in the fresh snow, it was beautiful with all the snow on trees etc. We had to trudge on foot as well, because we got a bit lost :P)

Hoping to trailer to the indoor tomorrow, should be interested since both our Tbs haven't been ridden much at all for weeks, an not on good footing

Then zumba Satuday and Sunday.

The more active I get, the less inclined I am to eat snacks.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

ugh....day 2 of Detox. I bought my mom a 6 day micro biotic detox and we are doing it together. It cuts out all yeast, processed food, sugar, caffeine, and pretty much everything. My headache (lack of coffee) and sugar cravings yesterday were terrible....not as bad today. It involves drinking two somewhat nasty shakes instead of breakfast and dinner and a very limited list of what you are allowed to eat. Let's see if we make it for 6 days! But thought a Detox before really dieting wasn't a bad idea.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I turn 50 this year, can't decide whether that's a good thing or not. I have always gone to the gym, but have decided to add Crossfit to the mix. I feel like I need more challenge. I know I am fit but not at the level Crossfit should get me too. I watched the workout videos at my local Crossfit, and the thought of doing pullups and burpees seems so miserable but totally worth it.

thank goodness for all of you!!!! Now I don't feel like such a cow. I screwed up my knee sometime last year (must have been the six hours of dancing in the mosh pit at the 80s Punk Club Reunion in DC, last August...). I use to work at a barn, and between that, taking care of kids, and our home and property, I was in decent shape at 5'6" and 140lbs. I use to ride about two or three times a week, plus run 4 miles, three times a week. I'm really careful about my weight because if I'm not, it all centers on my middle (hips and tush). After three kids in four years, I went up and down between high risk pregnancies. After our last child, I peaked at 225 lbs on my 45 year old 5'6" frame. I lost 85 lbs of it on my own and went down to 140 lbs simply by cutting back portions and running 3 to 4 miles, three times a week, combined with Tae Bo Kick Boxing. (Loved Tae Bo, it allowed me to punch and kick without actually hurting anyone...)

Fast forward to summer 2012 and my bum knee combined with a suspected rotator cuff injury put me out of commission. No more mucking or hauling 200 lb wheel barrows of muck across fields and throwing hay bales. I've since gained almost 20 lbs. (Ok, 15 lbs, because I've lost 5 lbs in the past two weeks since I resumed using My Fitness Pal - which I LOVE - and hitting the gym.) Did the elliptical for the first time and didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. I managed to run a mile on the treadmill without my knee giving out or burning in pain, that was a huge milestone. (Vet wrap is awesome for keeping knees aligned...) Went to an orthopaedic doc yesterday who guessed I have a torn meniscus in my left knee, and a ligament injury in my shoulder. Waiting on two MRIs to find out whether I have to give up running permanently, or just temporarily. I've always been an outdoorsy/athletic/don't coop me up kind of person, so this sendentiary lifestyle has been killing my soul. (Funny thing, Doc told me not to run, and even said to hold off on the elliptical. When I asked him if I could still ride, he looked at me dead-pan and said, "I know you horse people too well. It is pointless to tell you not to ride, because you will, anyway. Particularly you crazy Eventer types!"

So, I'll join the COTH My Fitness Pal group. I'm leasing a TB right now who is equally as fat and out of shape as I am, but thankfully, without a gimpy knee. Still, we're not doing each other any favors. My 2013 goal is to ride him at least four times a week, if not five. Today I rode some good trots sets for 25 minutes, then after I put the kids to bed this evening, I hit the gym and did 30 minutes on the elliptical, and a mile brisk walk on the treadmill. That combined with the calories I burnt grooming and riding allowed me a decent glass of wine, and a modest baguette with London Broil, blue cheese, and a green bean vinegrette salad. Here's to all you fellow COTHers fighting the same battle, support is good! And, if you are on My Fitness Pal, check out the exercise/calories burned under the Cardiovascular section. There are entries for grooming, as well as riding. And don't forget to tally the calories burnt for sweeping the barn, that's a great upper arm workout, too!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Something to look into. Very eye opening.
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/0...william-davis/
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Please, no Dr. Oz stuff.

I've been keeping up with the gym, but I'm afraid my body is telling me that at age 47 the "just keep fit by doing really heavy farm work whenever it needs doing" is a philosophy that's on borrowed time. Moved nearly a ton of wet, skanky horse poo last weekend and my back is STILL hurting! My family has AWFUL backs and this has me totally spooked. Arms, legs, bones, joints . . . I don't care if those hurt. But backs scare me!

Anyway, my solution to the boredom of the elliptical is to keep my favorite music separate and ONLY listen to it, at full volume, while exercising. It makes me happy and is fast and furious and compels me to keep up!

I've also been riding bareback during some of Boscoe's rehab rides and that is still making me feel old, but it's a pretty effective way to use that 30 minutes to do more than just sit there at the walk.
    Click here before you buy.

Other than eating a little better (well, maybe not the last couple of nights), I haven't been great about anything. Though, still, my job keeps me on my feet and hoofing it 4+ miles a day. While *I* don't think I'm fit enough, I know I'm way fitter than the average fat ass American fast food consumer...that thought always makes me feel a little better.

I *was* using squash (racquetball-like indoor racket game) to get back in shape, but I jumped back in too quickly and am now suffering from wicked carpal tunnel in my wrist

I've tried running and have run a half marathon, but I just can't seem to avoid getting bad plantar fasciitis, despite going in for the whole orthotic speciality shoe/sock/magic voodoo spell treatment. So, it's back to the fitness drawing board I go...

Well, I fell off the treadmill yesterday. Gooo MEEEE

^hahaha, that's great. Just make sure nobody is video taping to put on YouTube! I started P90x (...again...third times a charm, right!?) and yesterday was leg day. Man, does my butt hurt today! Whoo! Buns of a fitness model, here I come!

I am sick of being rather "soft" and want to really be in awesome shape so I can rock some daisy dukes this summer. Maybe instead of having guys buy me drinks, I'll tell them to give me the $6 for hay, haha.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post

I am sick of being rather "soft" and want to really be in awesome shape so I can rock some daisy dukes this summer. Maybe instead of having guys buy me drinks, I'll tell them to give me the $6 for hay, haha.
    Me, too. As someone else said, I'm not "unfit" by everyday American standards. I'm 5'7" and 130lb - but I'm softer and squishier than I've ever been in a few places, and I'd like to turn that fat into muscle (don't care if my weight changes, just reshape the body!). I appreciate that Mr. Heinz doesn't care, but a little encouragement and a workout buddy would do wonders for me.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson