The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KMErickson View Post
    JER, I think it was you that brought up the high intensity intervals in a fitness thread a few years ago.
    I'm sure it was me -- I've been flogging the benefits of HIT for years. I feel so bad for people trying to stick to boring cardio regimens and workout DVDs/routines that are really a waste of time and effort.

Right now, my own personal quest is to build strength, especially in my arms and shoulders.

Strength is not my strong suit. I'm a naturally scrawny weakling. I'm working with the Power Wheel more often and also doing push-ups and isolated lifts for my lower lats because my swim workouts focus too much on the upper lats. I'm getting used to feeling like my arms are on fire but I'm still believing that the pain will ease up as I improve.

Oh...I do HIT as well. It is also CRITICAL that you change things up. If you do the same thing all the time it becomes less effective.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I've been seeing a personal trainer since Febuary of last year--so almost a year. It makes a huge difference in the saddle. He works mostly with atheletes so has a great understanding of how to work so you are better at something else and not just good at working out (as well as working with injuries or chronic pain.) This year I'm trying to add another intense workout day a week instead of some adding on with some haphazzard crunches, planks and bridging a couple times a week...or not.

Does anyone else use a bosu ball? He's got me standing and balancing on the flat side and doing all sorts of things, from squats to using cable machines with my arms to pull across my body. Core work! The biggest change though is getting my glutes going.

Heinz 57 - you need a routine. An activity that you enjoy. If the treadmill is boring, maybe getting yourself to the gym at 6 a.m. 3 days a week and doing a class there or the elliptical is the answer. Doesn't matter that hubby doesn't want to get out of bed. Let him sleep. Get your workout done before your day begins, and that way you don't have to dread doing it at the end of the day (it's better for your sleep patterns if you don't do it before bedtime anyway).
    Or, if you can't go to a gym, make the treadmill more interesting. Again, do it before your day starts if you can. I pop an eventing video (Badminton, Rolex, Olympics...) in the machine, put on the IPod w/ my workout music, & ride my bike on the trainer for at least 30 mins., including intervals of hill/type work.
    I also get in the pool to swim with a swim group (w/ a coach) 3 days/week at 6 a.m. Oh, and lately I've been snowshoeing instead of biking - the dogs appreciate it too!
    JER is right - the short bursts of power-type excersizes are the 'in' type of workout for many reasons. But if you're just starting out, you need to build a little base first. There's a good article in Outside magazine on that stuff this month.
    Get off the sofa & Just Do It!!!
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    I've been seeing a personal trainer since Febuary of last year--so almost a year. It makes a huge difference in the saddle. He works mostly with atheletes so has a great understanding of how to work so you are better at something else and not just good at working out (as well as working with injuries or chronic pain.) This year I'm trying to add another intense workout day a week instead of some adding on with some haphazzard crunches, planks and bridging a couple times a week...or not.

Does anyone else use a bosu ball? He's got me standing and balancing on the flat side and doing all sorts of things, from squats to using cable machines with my arms to pull across my body. Core work! The biggest change though is getting my glutes going.
    Yes my trainer has me use one of those balls as well. Both sides, Sometimes while throwing an 8 lb medicine ball to him first left then right! Awesome for balance!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    My trainer makes me use one....evil thing There are literally TONs of exercises you can do with it. Mine makes me do squat/jumps on the round side in intervals. Planks with your feet on it. Squats with the cables...etc. My trainer also works with a lot of riders and rides as well so knows what we need for our sport.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

BFNE to what gym do you go? I could potentially do this with you.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Wanted to add after reading more, I too recently seem to have gotten so bored with the same old thing. I now am doing a step DVD at home, then stretching, and abs, another day 45 minutes on the eliptical for cardio, A good cross country dvd to watch helps the boredom. Or I read my kindle. time flies then.
    Another day I do my Zumba dvd, and work with trainer 2 days a week.
    Also since it is winter here, I try to get out and walk our 5 acre woods several times a week. Fresh air and a good work out. Just switch things up a lot. Try new stuff. Otherwise your body says, yeah yeah, that is easy, and you adapt and do not get stronger or fitter.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    BFNE to what gym do you go? I could potentially do this with you.

You are FAR fitter than me scrubed! I used to go to the Kennett YMCA but the hours were too hard with my work. So I joined one the the Snap fitness. There is one in Kennett and one in Avondale. They are open 24 hour. Nothing fancy but they have the equipment and the hours work.

OMG! I LOVE the bosu ball! The PT I was working with before I left MD had me use one, and I was all about...I played on it before we started and while waiting for my workout partner to finish his reps. I loved it and said I was going to get one. Which reminds me to go see if I can find one.

et your workout done before your day begins, and that way you don't have to dread doing it at the end of the day
    This is my goal tomorrow morning. Even though I am a notoriously bad morning person (not grumpy, just find it excruciating to get out of bed and get going) I feel like if I can convince myself to get up and on my bike to watch some Daily Show before I get ready to go down to the barn, I may actually get it done. I am often so tired and hungry by the end of the day that I just can't get it done. And, like tonight, I HAD to go to the bank and the store, which, because I live out a ways, took 90 minutes to get done. So, I'm going to TRY to get it done.

What is everyone doing regarding food? I REFUSE to diet, even though I'm sure if you saw what I was eating you would say I was dieting (no. Not really. I'm just not being lazy and eating the things I truly enjoy, which happens to be lots of fruits and veggies). But, I can't seem to find the right mix of things (that aren't bad for me) that keeps me from feeling famished in short order. I feel like I've been hungry for DAYS. Thoughts? (I always find it so funny that I can feed my horse so well, but I suck at feeding myself!).

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Thoughts?
    Candy. Lots, and lots of candy.

Just kidding. I couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Heinz 57 - you need a routine.
    Yes, I do. I used to have one. I'm stuck with what we have here, and maybe an elliptical if I can find a cheaper used one on craigslist - can't really justify the cost of a gym membership right now, as the only ones nearby are pretty spendy. I just despise running, which is why the treadmill is so boring - even TV shows don't really keep my attention, as I have to concentrate to stay centered and at the right speed to keep from falling off the treadmill. My balance is iffy. That's why I'd like an elliptical. I have a variety of DVD's to use, and like those as they switch things up and change pace frequently. I'd love to do group fitness classes, but again they are cost (and schedule) prohibitive. None of the nearby gyms offer group fitness before 9am or after 6pm.

What is everyone doing regarding food? I REFUSE to diet, even though I'm sure if you saw what I was eating you would say I was dieting (no. Not really. I'm just not being lazy and eating the things I truly enjoy, which happens to be lots of fruits and veggies). But, I can't seem to find the right mix of things (that aren't bad for me) that keeps me from feeling famished in short order. I feel like I've been hungry for DAYS. Thoughts? (I always find it so funny that I can feed my horse so well, but I suck at feeding myself!).
    I know this feeling! I've been having salads at lunch, and am forced to supplement by mid-afternoon. What are you doing for breakfast? That's my weak area. I should be eating a solid breakfast and I'm not, which is more than likely why I feel like I'm starving to death by 3pm. I also need to cut back on the wine, but............I'm not sure I really want to.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    Candy. Lots, and lots of candy.

Just kidding. I couldn't help myself.
    YOU are a bad influence (and the reason I'm eating better and TRYING DESPERATELY to get in shape is so I can eat lots of candy on our road trips with Dante and Toby!!!).

But, I can't seem to find the right mix of things (that aren't bad for me) that keeps me from feeling famished in short order. I feel like I've been hungry for DAYS. Thoughts? (I always find it so funny that I can feed my horse so well, but I suck at feeding myself!).
    You are possibly not eating enough protein. There are a lot of online food diaries. Some are free...some cost a nominal amount each month. What they can be very useful for is making sure you are eating enough and in the right balance. I'm the type of person who is rarely hungry. I should be skinny, but no, my body can get fat on air. The food diaries are good if I actually PLAN what I'm going to eat and then see how it breaks down for the day. Then I can adjust before the day is over!

I think I'm not getting enough protein, either. I sometimes feel like I'm eating Chinese food....fill up quick and feel fine for a short while, then suddenly I'm starving!

I don't know how my brother (a vegan) does it...of course, he says he is constantly eating...so maybe he doesn't get enough protein either!

I know this feeling! I've been having salads at lunch, and am forced to supplement by mid-afternoon. What are you doing for breakfast? That's my weak area. I should be eating a solid breakfast and I'm not, which is more than likely why I feel like I'm starving to death by 3pm. I also need to cut back on the wine, but............I'm not sure I really want to.
    I am HORRIBLE about breakfast. I actually blogged about it once. While that's almost 2 years old (where does the time go?), it is still pretty accurate. I don't like to eat when I get up most mornings, I tend to want something sweet, and I prefer to wait until later in the morning. So, I don't do well with breakfast. IF I wake up hungry and wanting something, I'll have a tortilla with some Nutella, or whole grain toast with Nutella or pb and j. Depending on my mood, I'll eat a clementine or a handful of grapes, along with a cup of coffee. If I do this first thing, I'm usually back at the house by 10, getting MORE food (if there isn't chocolate in the barn!). If I don't eat right away, I usually do exactly the same thing, but later.

I too am in the same boat, trying to lose those winter pounds. However, I do have an elliptical that I would be willing to trade for a treadmill if anyone is interested.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

This thread at this time last year prompted me to join MyFitnessPal and the COTH group. I did it successfully for 3-4 months, reached my goal and quit.

I just signed up again. I'm giving myself until June to lose 10 lbs and get fitter. My horse has been sitting idle for a month or so, between the weather, my health, the limited daylight hours, the cold...a whole lot of excuses not to go to the barn when it's 20 degrees and windy out, but rather, to stay by the fireplace with a good book or my computer, and some tea!
    Today, I longed her in the snow-covered ring to see how the footing was. It seems ok so I am planning on riding her tomorrow if it's not raining.

I've been going to the gym tho, because if I don't go 8 times a month I actually have to pay ( I love that, it's great motivation!). I only go to fitness classes, otherwise I can't get motivated. So it's Zumba, Pilates, something called "Body step" and "body pump". It's fun and good for me.

I'm bad at doing workout DVDs at home, but my daughter just bought "Just Dance" for the Wii and I might start doing that with her, since it's just like Zumba. I bet I can kick her butt

As for food...trying to cut down on bread, cookies, chocolates and butter/cream/milk *sigh*
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Love this thread! This time of year I think many of us find it hard to run or get to the barn - I'm doing more yoga and pilates, as well as trying to pick up the occasional gym class since doing something silly/ridiculous/not my usual is helpful in breaking things up.

On food - I'd second the guess that you may not be getting enough protein. I find that when my diet gets too carb-heavy, particularly in the morning, I'm starving by 10am. Thus, most weeks I tend to pull together a batch of these as a go-to, first thing in the morning, better than plain cereal bar: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/breakfast-bars-55 , usually upping the amount of nuts and seeds and lowering the amount of condensed milk. They keep well, much less sweet than usual granola bars, and one of these plus a container of greek yogurt will keep me going until well into midday. Doing big batches of soup or rice/beans every week that you can freeze and quickly reheat helps; I also pre-chop veggies and put in the fridge so I can dump them into a skillet for super fast stir fry or omelet on those nights I'm just starving. The trick is making eating well the easy option - if you can prepare much of it ahead of time, it'll make your life easier when you're tired/cold/cranky/really just want a cheeseburger.

It has taken me awhile to feel like I could join this thread.

Horse wise, I have been riding without stirrups every time that I ride, which lately has been about 3 days/week. I have been doing 5-8 minutes of two point, too. Where I board has an outdoor arena and plenty of hills and trails. Because we have had so much rain, the hills and trails are a no go.

Yesterday, I was able to start some trot sets in the outdoor, along with my without stirrups warm up.

Today, it was raining, so I went to the gym. I did the eliptical for 20 min. starting slowly and working up to keeping up with the rhythm of the music. I used the leg and ab machines, then did mat work, bosu ball sit ups, planks and some yoga poses. 45 minutes later, I am sore, but feel pretty good. Since we are to have rain for the next five days, I imagine that my rides will be sporatic and the gym will be my next best friend.

I need to lose 50 lbs, but would be happy with 30lbs. The older you get, the harder the lbs are to remove. I am old. But, I am not defeated!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!