The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Rider Fitness 2013

Instead of reviving the old rider fitness accountability thread, let's start a new one.

I *was* fit. Then my horse needed over two months off for an abscess, and it was the holidays, and...well, I'm about 10lb chubbier than I'd like to be and a lot softer than I've ever been (the joys of adulthood). So, now my horse is out of shape, I'm out of shape, and we're both struggling. I didn't make any resolutions, I'm not really a New Years Resolution kinda girl... but I did decide that it's time to stop bitching about it and start getting stronger.

Anyone else out there working on building fitness? I could use a little accountability and a support group. We have a treadmill and I have umpteen workout DVD's to choose from, though my biggest hurdle is that our house is typically very cold - which doesn't inspire me to want to do much besides sit under a blanket in front of the heater (and the TV).

What about you?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

I am also getting fit. I put on 15-20lbs last year -- got busy in job training and just had too much. I've always been a runner (up to half marathon) and was taking up triathlon, but had some lower leg issues and time constraints that had me take a lot of time off.

I only got back in the saddle in August, and bought a new horse in October, and now he's off for a month (extensor swelling). I'm trying to get back to the gym 2-4 days a week (depending on the week), and the SO wants to aim for Olympic distance triathlons this year.

I am gritting my teeth and going to the gym twice a week. It's not much, but considering how much I *loathe* gyms, it's better than nothing! I'm also back riding Boscoe now and since he's only walking and trotting I've been doing some of it bareback--whoa, when did THAT get to be hard?
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am out of shape due to back injury and being out of riding for 18 months, and I am in the same boat! I've been dieting and making sure I get out and ride EVERY day, and also use the treadmill every day for 30min-1hr. I would like to get to the gym to try using some of the other machinery they have avail there...

ETA: I have a few simple pilates dvds that also help with my lack of muscle atm.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Forgoing my two mile walk each morning and our annual Caribbean cruise have not been helpful with regard to the scales. . . there was a COTH group on My Fitness Pal (of which I have ignored for quite awhile - time to dive back in?)

Two exercise suggestions: Success in the Saddle dvds - 20 minutes a day, different exercises each day. Also check out the recommended exercises on Evention, ten great suggestions, done with a great sense of humor!

Default Working on CORE!!!!

I run enough to stay reasonably fit for riding, pizza, and wine, but my core strength absolutely isn't there anymore, so....started with 4 planks at 30 seconds 4x/wk and adding other core exercises each week - WHEW!!!! This first week has been TOUGH!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Yay, I'm not alone!

I thought it was probably appropriate to wait until after the first of the year to start this thread, with the holidays and all.

If I can get the temp in my house up to a reasonable one, I'll throw in one of my DVD's this evening.

I *was* fit. Then my horse needed over two months off for an abscess, and it was the holidays, and...well, I'm about 10lb chubbier than I'd like to be and a lot softer than I've ever been (the joys of adulthood). So, now my horse is out of shape, I'm out of shape, and we're both struggling. I didn't make any resolutions, I'm not really a New Years Resolution kinda girl... but I did decide that it's time to stop bitching about it and start getting stronger.
    You do realise that you just described ME. Right down to the (whimpers) weight. Glad I'm not alone!

I have found myself growing slack with my gym-at-home workouts, so first off the mark is to change it up. Detoxed the diet, and de-cobwebbed the now-sound mare.

Right! I'm off to a ... wobbly start

YEah, I'm right there with you, softer than ever.

Working out will warm you up more thoroughly than turning up the heat will, you know... There, now you kick me gently in the butt and we'll be even.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mac Donald View Post
    You do realise that you just described ME. Right down to the (whimpers) weight. Glad I'm not alone!

I have found myself growing slack with my gym-at-home workouts, so first off the mark is to change it up. Detoxed the diet, and de-cobwebbed the now-sound mare.

Right! I'm off to a ... wobbly start
    shoot! I know what you mean. I went and watched a lesson with a potential new instructor this morning - which got me all jazzed to really hit the books - so I went home, coughed up the $10 to use the neighbor's arena, and set about on what I thought would be a decent, if slightly unfit, ride.

Instead, we motorcycled the corners, shoulder-diving and hind end trailing. We weaved drunkenly down the long side in a choppy trot. Threw a hissy at the other horses calling to him, tried to drift out the entrance at each pass. He sulked behind the bit every time I said no, you must go straight, so I'd boot him forward and then we argue about whether or not he really HAS to come forward from behind and not drag along on the forehand. The last ~10 minutes of our ride was some vague resemblance of the horse I had at the end of summer, not nearly as uphill or powerful but at least he was TRYING to be somewhat straight and coming up through his back. It's a fine testament to living out 24/7 that he actually had (and was able to sustain) both canter leads for the handful of 20m circles I asked for.

Definitely doing some pilates and/or yoga tonight! Y'all have got me jazzed up to get FIT!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I definitely have to get my strength back and lose the 8 lbs or so I've gained since my last event, end of November. If I were riding more horses, it would be easier. And every year, it seems to be more and more difficult to feel "fightin fit." Ah the joys of aging.

I just started a new job so adjusting to that, and the real world hours, is taking some time. I do have core building exercises I do while riding. It is just basic out of the saddle stuff, focusing on engaging the core and trying to go as long as possible in that position in all gaits. I do it on the babies and when I do trot sets on the more established guys. I am not doing trot/gallop sets yet but will be starting those in about 4 weeks.

I need to get motivated to do more pilates sorts of exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    YEah, I'm right there with you, softer than ever.

Working out will warm you up more thoroughly than turning up the heat will, you know... There, now you kick me gently in the butt and we'll be even.
    Normally, I'd agree. But seriously, I'm sitting in a chair about 2' from my pellet stove, wearing a thermal tank, long sleeve shirt, short sleeved t-shirt, zip up sweatshirt and a coat (and hat). And fuzzy winter breeches, with Mr. Heinz' wubby (insulated poncho liner) on my lap. I could probably take the coat off and I wouldn't die, but it's seriously cold. Our house is heated solely by pellet stove/wood stove and today's high was 40.

Now that I've made sufficient excuses, you get out there and MOVE, woman. I expect that soft body to become a hardbody ASAP!

I'll move if you'll throw off the lap robe and do some jump turns down the imaginary fresh powder in front of your stove.

1 members found this post helpful.

But I'm watching Meet Joe Black...

If you're serious about your goals, forget the treadmill and do some bodyweight circuits and high-intensity intervals.

For circuits, make a superset of 5 or 6 bodyweight exercises -- like squats, lunges, push ups, climbers, jumps, etc -- and do them straight through, as in 12 reps of each exercise done in succession, with a one-minute rest in between. Go through the whole thing 3 times. Choose your exercises so that you're working your whole body. Do this 3x week.

For HIT, do a short warm-up, then do 20 sec ALL OUT of something exercisey -- like sprinting or jumping jacks or jump rope or box jumps -- whatever it is, make it max effort. Then rest for 10 sec. Do this 8x, for a grand total of 4 minutes of exercise. This protocol is clinically-proven over and over again since 1996.

Also, there are some very useful, inexpensive pieces of exercise equipment out there. The Power Wheel is a favorite. It gives a great total body workout (but please watch the video and do it correctly!). The same company also sells an excellent jump rope.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    I'll move if you'll throw off the lap robe and do some jump turns down the imaginary fresh powder in front of your stove.
    I've actually never been skiing, but I did want to come back and say that I lived up to my own expectations. One Core Fusion body sculpt workout down. And I'm about to do some more ab work, since I'm not feeling totally spent yet (well, my thighs are, but I don't need those much for ab work!).

Count me in!

Going to fitness and yoga classes at the gym are what helps me the best. Once I'm there I'm committed to the whole hour and I have to do the exercises at least on the modified level. If I do fitness DVDs at home I'll do most of the workout but by the end I'm laying on the floor. Being in public at the gym shames me into completing the workout.

I definitely need to work on my core. Not only is it weak I've noticed just how much stronger my right side of my core is compared to my left side. My right leg is also a lot stronger than my left.

I went to the gym for a fitness class today (called centergy- combo of yoga, pilates and squats, lunges, planks etc). I might go tomorrow, but I might be too busy. I'll least do some yoga or an ab dvd (and force myself to complete the workout).

I try to make myself take breaks during ym "wake up" in front of the computer (ie right now), and do something, crunches or pushups or something. I don't like getting sweaty before work because I either get up super early (alarm was 0350 today, so add another hour) so I can cool down, or I continue to sweat under my uniform when I get to work.

Yuck.

I hit 30 this year, it has not been kind. DH had surgery in May and it has just been easier to sit with him than go run, so put me in the "I gained 10lbs last year" category also. Thankfully I'm still pretty fit to ride, but heavier than I want to be.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I am desperately working on getting back on my bikes. I've been here over a year, and haven't ridden either bike (other than just pedaling around, to and from the barn, etc) the entire time. And I miss it TERRIBLY. So, my road bike is up on the trainer in my teeny tiny living room, and I've figured out how to set up my computer so I can stream the Daily Show and the Colbert Report to keep me entertained. Hopefully, by the time longer days and warmer weather comes around, I'll have enough bike fitness to encourage me to get one or both of them OUT and actually ride (the farm itself has great trails that would be a great work out on my mountain bike!).

I'm also ready to get serious about my core strength and have some minor plans for that. It isn't worth it to join a gym, since the closest gyms are 25+ minutes away and I know me and know I would find reasons not to go, so I asked my personal trainer friend (who I worked out with when I was still in MD) for ideas on things to do without much stuff in my teeny tiny living room ("PLANKS!" Ugh).

And, I also miss yoga, so I am either going to get some DVDs in (I think I can make enough room in the teeny tiny living room for a mat), or investigate the yoga studio in Purcellville which supposedly doesn't require a membership and is $10 a class.

Phew! There. Maybe now that I said it, I'll actually DO it.

Not fitness, but health...working to get more fruits and veggies in my diet, back off the cheese (not completely! Just maybe not eat a whole block at once), a little less meat, and a few more whole grains (which I eat a lot of anyway).

I do walk a lot (there are times I can walk 4 miles a day just doing my job), and the usual stuff that comes with running a horse farm, but I know myself and know that I prefer to be fitter than that. And knowing Toby, I know I'll probably ride him better on xc if I'm as fit as he is. And be able to have more say if he ever clicks into freight train mode again.

Soon as the Physician gives me the all-clear to engage in high impact exercise I will hit the Insanity series again. Similar to what JER described, max effort for short bursts of time. I had completed the 60 day workout a few weeks before the big crash in June and was in ridiculous shape.

I'm actually one of the freaks that likes to workout. Not being able to do much (besides some core that requires zero flexion of the left foot) has made me crotchety. Grrrrrr.

Of course I say that now, but when I can't walk down the stairs on day three because my calves are on fire I'll be crying like a little baby
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/