The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ShoreGirl View Post
    When I clean up the house tomorrow (sorry, already had a margarita LOL) I will snap a picture of it for you. It was VERY easy to do. Since we are by the beach I took an old boat oar, painted it white and inked on a navy crab, drilled a bunch of hooks in and hung it above the bench for coats, scarves, and to boyfriends dismay, bridles.
    I would like to see your cabinet seat thing if you get a picture to share...it has given me an idea for our mudroom.

If this comes through, here are a few photos of the seating section of the office at
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Happy-...r/442198970382

The old sofas are leaving. They are yucky!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpilot View Post
    If

The old sofas are leaving. They are yucky!
    nice bonfire material ... the dark colors sure do not project a happy valley experence LOL

any "possibly" of vaulting the ceiling? the ceiling tiles look like they have could have belonged in a dentist office waiting room, quite the style in 1970 however

What kind of image are you attempting to project?

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    nice bonfire material ... the dark colors sure do not project a happy valley experence LOL

any "possibly" of vaulting the ceiling? the ceiling tiles look like they have could have belonged in a dentist office waiting room, quite the style in 1970 however

LOL! Maybe because the barn was built in the 70's! One thing at a time, priorities.

As far as an image, I just want something more cheerful but cozy. There is no sun today, so office looks darker in the photos.

well let's make them look at the flagstone floor rather than ceiling... have you sealed the floor to brighten it ...also helps reflect light to lighten the place up a bite

http://www.sparkssw.com/catalog/ston...685ea2ef072143

but those FHA 235 hall lighting fixtures that were taken out of a trailer house need to accompany the couches to the next world .... if nothing more get some standing lamps

well let's make them look at the flagstone floor rather than ceiling... have you sealed the floor to brighten it ...also helps reflect light to lighten the place up a bite

http://www.sparkssw.com/catalog/ston...685ea2ef072143

but those FHA 235 hall lighting fixtures that were taken out of a trailer house need to accompany the couches to the next world .... if nothing more get some standing lamps
    OUCH!!! It ain't perfect, but it's mine.

2 members found this post helpful.

HPilot: I think your barn office is AMAZING. Not to mention your gorgeous farm and fencing, and fields and indoor.....DROOL.
    You'll have a ball with that 'makeover' and you can go in so many ways! I agree? with the interest in durable 'outdoor' furniture that you can add outdoor quality cushions to that can be replaced/swapped out later, etc. Your farm is to be admired.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    HPilot: I think your barn office is AMAZING. Not to mention your gorgeous farm and fencing, and fields and indoor.....DROOL.
    You'll have a ball with that 'makeover' and you can go in so many ways! I agree? with the interest in durable 'outdoor' furniture that you can add outdoor quality cushions to that can be replaced/swapped out later, etc. Your farm is to be admired.
    Thanks!

Personally I would not use the patio furniture, well that is unless I working with the Gypsy Vanners.

I would want to use furniture that presented a feeling of permanence rather this place could be packed up in few minutes and be gone is an instant

just my thoughts

I love the idea of highlighting the floor. We did a tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright house Falling Water and I remember them saying they used wax to give the impression that the slate floor was wet. It really was quite beautiful.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

OP, don'tcha love the peanut gallery comments about renovation projects?
    My sister always does that with our farmhouse renovations, except in a more passive aggressive way. Whenever we've finished some project, instead of asking "So, what's next on the list?" which would be fun to answer, she asks whether we're going to replace / re-do something specific. "Me: "Yay, we got new furniture to go around the wood stove!" Her: "Cool. Did you tear down that plaster wall in that room, or are you just going to cover it up with shelves?" Um, how about neither?

Often it's something we hadn't even planned on doing--either it doesn't bother us or it's such a major job that it's just not feasible. Which sucks because instead of having a nice conversation about positive things that we've done and are excited about, suddenly we're talking in the negative about something I'm not doing (but apparently should have, in her mind).

I learned long ago to tune that stuff out. To take the charitable view, my sister has never in her life done her own small repairs, never mind big projects, so I think she just doesn't understand what it entails. And we live in a 110+ yr old house, so we're a lot more comfortable with imperfections, whereas she lives in new houses.

So now when she asks if we're going to do x, y, z, I don't defend my renovation priorities or budget, I just say a simple but pleasant "No" and move back to the positive.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    OP, don'tcha love the peanut gallery comments about renovation projects?
    My sister always does that with our farmhouse renovations, except in a more passive aggressive way. Whenever we've finished some project, instead of asking "So, what's next on the list?" which would be fun to answer, she asks whether we're going to replace / re-do something specific. "Me: "Yay, we got new furniture to go around the wood stove!" Her: "Cool. Did you tear down that plaster wall in that room, or are you just going to cover it up with shelves?" Um, how about neither?

Often it's something we hadn't even planned on doing--either it doesn't bother us or it's such a major job that it's just not feasible. Which sucks because instead of having a nice conversation about positive things that we've done and are excited about, suddenly we're talking in the negative about something I'm not doing (but apparently should have, in her mind).

I learned long ago to tune that stuff out. To take the charitable view, my sister has never in her life done her own small repairs, never mind big projects, so I think she just doesn't understand what it entails. And we live in a 110+ yr old house, so we're a lot more comfortable with imperfections, whereas she lives in new houses.

So now when she asks if we're going to do x, y, z, I don't defend my renovation priorities or budget, I just say a simple but pleasant "No" and move back to the positive.
    Well, I thought that when someone asked about decorating ideas, they meant just that, to hear what others have to say, all of them, even hear from those that thought most were from the "peanut gallery".

I am looking forward to seeing what Shoregirl described. Those sound interesting.

OP love the look of that office. So inviting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpilot View Post
    .... I want seating that is practical, easy to clean and must be able to handle the cat who wanders in and out on a regular basis. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg for furniture that will see a lot of "horsey owner" dirt.
    Any suggestions?
    @Bluey, I totally agree but
    1) OP was not asking for general decorating ideas. She had a specific question about seating materials.
    2) And even if she were, do you consider these decorating ideas: the furnishings are "bonfire material", the ceiling is "from a dentist office waiting room", and "those FHA 235 hall lighting fixtures that were taken out of a trailer house" (umm, as if trailer homes are inherently repulsive?).

Those comments seems pretty churlish to me.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    @Bluey, I totally agree but
    1) OP was not asking for general decorating ideas. She had a specific question about seating materials.
    2) And even if she were, do you consider these decorating ideas: the furnishings are "bonfire material", the ceiling is "from a dentist office waiting room", and "those FHA 235 hall lighting fixtures that were taken out of a trailer house" (umm, as if trailer homes are inherently repulsive?).

Those comments seems pretty churlish to me.
    Thank HH, I felt a little pang......I really don't think I am so prissy, fancy, materialistic, that I can't overlook some imperfections! The flagstone floor will be sealed and waxed. I just got my barn back from a leased situation less than a week ago. Actually, her horses aren't even all gone yet, so we are doing small things until she and her clients are gone on the 15th.

It IS a barn office and not a living room, so neat, clean, organized and comfortable are what I am concerned about. Before I leased the barn to a trainer, I did have lamps in there and probably will again. Will I put in a vaulted ceiling?...ummm NO.

I would much rather have the rubber footing for my outdoor arena, some new fencing and more shelters.

5 members found this post helpful.

Hi HPilot
    I own a farm too - and well understand that you can't do everything and you certainly can't do them all at once. My new expression is when someone (a boarder or visitor) says "you should fix this......." I say - no thanks, the next owner can. That shuts them up. My place is for sale!

2 members found this post helpful.

Who peed in your cornflakes this morning? Geez Louise.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Who peed in your cornflakes this morning? Geez Louise.
    The OP's property is a very nice operation. At this time, when they retaking over the property... I my opinion... they need to raise the level of the class of the operation simply because of the boarding rates I saw posted for that farm are the same rates I was paying in 1991....however if they are comfortable with that level of income, so be it.

The ranches here that command the higher rates are ones that you would feel proud of showing to your friends... but IF patio furniture fits the needs for the OPs desired client level than that is what they will get.... but the costs differences are minor

Everything you do is marketing the property... it really doesn't do much good to have a classy arena if the operation radiates a feeling of less than desirable class... and the cost to do so is nothing compared to the arena

The OP's property is a very nice operation. At this time, when they retaking over the property... I my opinion... they need to raise the level of the class of the operation simply because of the boarding rates I saw posted for that farm are the same rates I was paying in 1991....however if they are comfortable with that level of income, so be it.

The ranches here that command the higher rates are ones that you would feel proud of showing to your friends... but IF patio furniture fits the needs for the OPs desired client level than that is what they will get.... but the costs differences are minor

Everything you do is marketing the property... it really doesn't do much good to have a classy arena if the operation radiates a feeling of less than desirable class... and the cost to do so is nothing compared to the arena
    Seriously?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Clanter, I don't have all my rates on my website. I have a starting rate and that is for Field Board. My rates are on the high end for our area. So unless you have a crystal ball, you don't know what my rates are.