The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Samarant - What are your thoughts?

I have the opportunity to use Samarant frozen on my mare. I'm not a big SH fan but I think this stallion suits my mare very well.

All of my first choice stallions are unavailable here in NZ for various reasons.

My mare is from old D-lines, a bit chunky and old-fashioned but is a very powerful mover with a superb neck-front-shoulder. She is sweet natured and willing. She scored straight 8s at her classification.

I would like to add refinement and beauty, and more suspension/cadence to the movement. I do not like long backs or flat croups.

I've read all the older negative things regarding trainability, walk, bad limbs etc. I was wondering if these still aplly now that he has plenty of youngsters under saddle.

So, what can you tell me re Samarant offspring?

I only have first-hand experience of one Samarant offspring, so take this with a grain of salt, but I had the opportunity last year to ride a friend's Samarant mare out of a Davignon/A Jungle Prince xx mare. I helped my trainer with starting this filly under saddle and then was lucky to show her in her first year of competition as a 4-year-old. Not a big mare - maybe 16.2h at most. She was very easy to break and has a super brain and willing attitude. She's a forward mover but naturally a little bit lazy - not necessarily a bad thing and once you establish quickness to the aids early in the ride she's easy. She's a very good mover with a huge, swinging walk and a very active hindleg in the trot. Solid canter that is getting consistently better as she figures out how to use her body better. She's not built uphill, but you wouldn't know it from sitting on her. Also a little "plain" looking on the ground without tack, but she looks great under saddle. At her very first horse show she bucked on the longe line for about 5 minutes, then got down to business and has handled horse shows like a total pro. She scored 70% at her very first horse show in Training 3. She won the 2012 Southwest Dressage Series Training Level championship and was Third for Region 9 USDF Championships with scores in the high 60s/low 70s (which was her 3rd horse show of her life). Pics attached are from her first show. I think her breeder (Foxwood Hanoverians) also posts here, so she can probably offer more info. Just my experiences from a sample size of 1!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samara_Tyler2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	37465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samara_Tyler3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	37466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samara_Tyler.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	37467

Thank you for your thoughts!

She looks like a lovely ride. Who was the dam - was she heavy built?

I have one in the barn now. I guess he is technically a 4yo
    Very leggy and TALL (over 16.3hh) but light type. Out of a Wolkenstein II mare
    Really sweet, a bit quiet, smart and uphill. He's only been under saddle 3 mo.. So he is still getting strength and balance
    Hes a very pleasant horse around the barn, too

I am the breeder of the above mentioned mare. Her dam was a beautiful Davignon mare who was fairly chunky and threw HUGE foals. The Samarant filly isn't as pretty as her other offspring but is the only normal sized one she had. Samara is longer lined and leggier than her mother and has better gaits.

Thanks for the input.

It's nice to know not all Samarants are as mad as meat axes as some breeders would have you believe!

Eliza, thanks for the info. My mare also tends to throw freaky giants, so a 'normal' 16.2hh would be a nice change. Also she is no longer young and this will be her 11th foal so a smaller foal and a subsequent easier birth would be nice for the old girl!

She currently has a spectacular Furst Nymphenberg colt at foot. He is superb but I can't get any more FN semen this season.

Also - There is a real possibility that this foal will be retained if it's a filly, for riding and future breeding.

What are the thoughts on using Samarant mares for breeding? Is he making a good broodmare sire?

I used him on my Don Frederico - Prince Thatch xx and sold the filly as a foal. I later heard from the people where she was boarded and raised that she was one of the easiest horses ever that they broke in. Rider took part at the olympics in 3day eventing at some point. She filly was than sold on to a GP rider. She rode her through MPT and some shows and has her now in her breeding program because she thinks she is not tall enough for a competition horse. (i think she said she would be slightlly above 1,60m). Have not heard from her for two years.
    As a foal she was very pretty, long legged, very nice 3 gaits and had a very good brain. I would have bred back to him, but he was sold through PSI auction no idea where to.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Last I saw he was in Andreas Helgstrands barn but I no longer see him listed. Fwiw they had a video of him schooling there and he looked fantastic!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

All good things to hear thanks!

This semen is from when he stood at Paul's. Samarant is a little out of my comfort zone but I'm a bit backed into a corner this season. The mare will be ready for insemination sometime in the coming week so I don't have much time to do my usual thorough research etc. I still believe he will be a good cross with my older style mare but it is good to hear from those who know more than I.