The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Squishy coronary band and some heat

My horse has about an inch long squishy part on the back hoof on his coronary band and there is some heat. He hasn't been lame (some people think abscess, but no lameness??), but did knock a rail down when we were jumping on Sunday.

Also, its been SUPER wet here in LA and their paddock hasn't really dried out for over a week. I've been pretty good about picking hooves and getting the mud of his legs, but I can't get out to the barn every day.

I'm hoping its just from knocking the rail, but would that make his hoof squishy!? Any ideas? Farrier is looking at it today and if its not better tomorrow, I will get the vet out. Hoof things just make me so nervous!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThatBayHorse View Post
    My horse has about an inch long squishy part on the back hoof on his coronary band and there is some heat. He hasn't been lame (some people think abscess, but no lameness??), but did knock a rail down when we were jumping on Sunday.

Also, its been SUPER wet here in LA and their paddock hasn't really dried out for over a week. I've been pretty good about picking hooves and getting the mud of his legs, but I can't get out to the barn every day.

I'm hoping its just from knocking the rail, but would that make his hoof squishy!? Any ideas? Farrier is looking at it today and if its not better tomorrow, I will get the vet out. Hoof things just make me so nervous!

Thanks
    Is it the periople? They get squishy in wet weather.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

My gelding had a very "squishy" spot on his coronary band after he had trauma to it. I had the vet out and she felt this soft spot and said it was basically a bruise.

If it's also wet there, I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just watch for lameness!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

That's right. The periople is much like the cuticle on our human fingers and toenails.

When they get saturated (like when you soak in the bathtub), they get "squishy".

If he's not lame, I surely wouldn't worry about it.

Do they ever bleed? My horses were very white and squishy and after riding they were bleeding a little. Should I be concerned?

Sounds like maybe he "grabbed himself" and bruised it, or else he's got an abcess on the way to blowing out; sometimes the real stoic guys don't show much lameness with these, especially once they move into the blood-supplied area. I'd just ride him as usual and watch it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Sounds like maybe he "grabbed himself" and bruised it, or else he's got an abcess on the way to blowing out; sometimes the real stoic guys don't show much lameness with these, especially once they move into the blood-supplied area. I'd just ride him as usual and watch it . . .
    Ditto this.