The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default so how will i know when my felamle kitten is old enough to be spayed?

i've almost always had male kittties but now have a female who is tiny. i was told she was five months when i adopted her a month ago, making her an extremely small six month old siamese kitten.

are there signs leading up to her first heat or will it hit suddenly and loudly? should i be making a spay appt for next week or wait until she's bigger and or older?
    tia!

If I recall correctly the spay clinic wanted them to be four pounds.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default ~6 months

My vet uses the caveat that if they have their permanent teeth, they're old enough to spay. That usually happens around 6 months. I've never waited for the first heat. Their ignorance is my bliss.

oh no way is she five lbs yet, may be three lbs.
    and i don't know how to check for her permanent teeth. help?

Ask your vet what they require.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default don't wait

If you have had her 5 months, she's likely old enough. Just remember, if she's old enough to have a heat, she's old enough to have kitties.

Take her to the vet and get the shots and a fe-luke test and make a spay appointment.

It depends on the vet doing the spay. Some will do pediatric spay/neuter, others wait until about 6 months. There are benefits and drawbacks of each. My female was spayed at maybe 4 months (somewhere int he 12-16 week range); last male baby had to wait until 5 or 6 months, though he hit the four pound mark at about four months (he's huge). Different vets, different ideas. Both cats did fine with the procedures. Personally, I like to have it done as soon as the vet feels it's safe.

As long as they weigh at least two pounds, I will gladly spay them. We used to spay /neuter prior to adopting out the kittens our hospital fostered, so I am comfortable doing the little ones

If she's 5 months, she's probably good to go. When we found our kittens, they were less than a lb each ad tiny, but we had it done at around 4 lbs I believe.

We also took them to the SPCA who did it for free! (They also did a rabies shot for $10, which was really nice.)
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Call your vet to find out their policy. I volunteer at a no-kill cat shelter. The vets we use will do them at 4 pounds.

Ditto all the above. Also be aware that spaying before the first heat significantly reduces the risk of developing mammary cancer later in life.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a tiny 6 month old kitten here who weighed in at just over 2# at about 4 months old. My vet told me he likes them to be about 4# before he spays. Due to the weight restriction, she's gone through 2 heat cycles and has her appt for the 14th of this month. It's going to be close as she was 3.2# just after T'giving. If my vet wants to wait another month, he gets to live with her until he is comfortable doing it!

With cats, every vet around here knows that the safest with healthy kittens is to spay them as soon as possible, because the very real chance of pregnancy and complications from it is more than complications from a spay because she was not quite grown yet.
    Plus the world doesn't need one more litter of cats.

Ours have always been spayed on a guess, didn't know how old they may have been, just got it done asap.

I would let your vet examine her and decide then.

Is she a 100% indoor cat? If so the drawbacks of pediatric spaying may outweigh the benefits. If she can ever get access to the outside, then call and ask thevets weight minimum. At our closest shelter it is 3 lbs for owned cats and the vet may do smaller feral cats on a case by case basis. Similar rule at the vet clinic I was with but he preferred to wait until they were bigger if the owners were responsible at keeping them indoors.

In my area female kittens, at least those who go through rescue, can be done at two lbs. I have had hundreds of them done at that weight and never had a problem.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    oh no way is she five lbs yet, may be three lbs.
    and i don't know how to check for her permanent teeth. help?
    The baby fangs are like needles. The adult fangs are generally more substantial. The fangs come out around six months.

Generally 6 months is the proper age to get spayed, in this age kittens are old enough for surgery.

The vet hospital I worked at wouldn't do them if they were less than 5# and at least 6 months. When I had a litter of kittens that I adopted out privately, I had them all spayed and neutered at 10 weeks- they were between 2.5 and 3#. MUCH faster recovery and I knew for certain they would not be reproducing.

I would spay now/before she goes into heat if at all possible. A female in heat is not fun.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

The Alabama Spay Neuter place here will spay as soon as they are 2#. I was kind of happy about that as I had three babies that I needed asap as they were going to be outdoor cats. (They are currently on my bed. ) Many regular vets here require them to be six months old.

1 members found this post helpful.