The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Problems w do it yourself GGT installation.

FYI-- I tried to add GGT to my existing footing in NC. It did not mix properly throughout the entire depth of sand. Parts of the arena became uneven as the product settled disproportionately in the arena making it difficult for my horse to be confident to work. I hired one footing company who tried to remix it, but that did not work either. After talking with several equestrian footing professionals who were all generous with their information, it became obvious that it should have been done professionally from the beginning. Attwood Equestrian stepped up to the plate and told me what needed to be done. After 6 months of communication and planning, they came and worked on the ring for a week. Now I have a perfect ring, and I wasted a lot of money trying to do something that a qualified footing expert should have done from the beginning. I would have been better off investing the $ properly from the beginning.

3 members found this post helpful.

FWIW I installed my GGT myself then Mr P tilled it in
    we do have a big tiller
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...54902449790882

https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...54933042904290

About once a month I hand rake about 3 feet in from the sides as I don't want him getting to close to the rr ties
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Timely! I have a bunch of GGT ready to install in a few weeks.. how deep/ fine/coarse sand did you go with? Thats my fear- adding to a bunch of sand I'd remove if its deep! But in a new arena, some sand should settle, no?

I have a tractor/ rototiller also.
    How did Attwood fix your mix, OP? (I doubt they'll travel to my area!)

I had sent my sand to be"analyzed"and was told the sand would mix w the GGT. Wrong!!! It did not mix, as I had masonary sand w some finer sand mixed in. GGT seems to require the silica sand, so when Attwood came to my farm to inspect the sad situation, they took the sand back to the lab and came up w a mix w my sand and silica sand which would mix w the ggt. Also, more fibers were added in the mix to make it "tighter". We went w about 2 1/2 inches as the horse moves on top of the footing and does not roll/trudge through the masonary sand as before. It is tight and it does not move like the old sand. My horse had a suspensory injury, so I wanted the footing to be fairly tight. I spent 6 months talking to a lot of people about this and I would be happy to share any information about what mistakes I made to make sure you do not waste your money. Many people were generous w their time and info so I would be happy to pay it forward. My email is fcurrey@windstream.net This is a tight economy, any money wasted is less to go to our oh so valuable horses.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am also about to install something similar to GGT, it's called ProTex from Premier Equestrian.

I believe the felt pieces are smaller and it has added fiber, so I should have fewer problems, although your story has me a bit rattled!

I mixed in a sample I was sent with no problems and I do have a Parma Groomer and tractor which seems to be necessary for these felt/fiber footings. Guess I'll find out pretty soon!

OP how did you try and install your GGT exactly? What kind of arena drag/groomer were you using? I've had some fairly detailed instructions on how to install.

I was told to use the Parma Groomer, manure spreader to spread the ggt, and also my contractor had a Harley Rake. I spread about a third of the product it poured down rain, and it was fine for a day or two. As it dried my horse was walking through snow. I continued to remix it w water- I have a sprinkler system., but it never mixed w my sand. Then I was told to use a roto tiller, but did not want to use that for fear of damaging the base. So, the product got mixed w the first 1 inch of sand , but the bottom never mixed. Then it bunched up in different spots in the arena. My horse was so confused, he never knew where to put his feet and it was not mixed consistently. Suggest working in one spot in your areena as a test spot to make sure it works before doing the entire ring. I had to pay the contractor to come back and take the ggt out, as I had a pile of product blowing around on top of my ring. Good luck,

Default I installed GGT June and all went well

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    I am also about to install something similar to GGT, it's called ProTex from Premier Equestrian.

I believe the felt pieces are smaller and it has added fiber, so I should have fewer problems, although your story has me a bit rattled!

I mixed in a sample I was sent with no problems and I do have a Parma Groomer and tractor which seems to be necessary for these felt/fiber footings. Guess I'll find out pretty soon!

OP how did you try and install your GGT exactly? What kind of arena drag/groomer were you using? I've had some fairly detailed instructions on how to install.
    I installed the Dressage GGT from Premiere Equestrian in my new indoor this past June. I was scared we would screw it up. We watched the video over and over, talked to some others who had just done it and sent the sand samples of to Premiere to analyze. We had about a dozen people help us spread the GGT as evenly as we could. Then we hand watered and watered. We initially had the Parma Groomer but didn't like it so we had one custom built. It took about a week of patiently dragging, watering and dragging more. But it all went well and we are very happy.

Take your time spreading and mixing, make sure you have the right sand, use lots of water and it will be wonderful!
    m

Thanks for the info. I am reassured as I also have an indoor arena and perhaps that makes the difference between the felt staying mixed or not.

I am going to follow the video and instructions I've had. I was told that the key is to get that felt wet so the sand will stick to it. I would imagine that it is much harder to keep moisture in the footing with an outdoor arena.