The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    IMHO, if someone needed a the "Dummies Book of Warmup Rings" they do not belong at a show yet. But, we all know that too many people are inconsiderate and unsafe when playing with others, sadly.
    This is quite true, but I will tell you that the most offensive person I've ever seen in the warm up ring was a professional. With students. And she was NOT nice to her horses.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

2 members found this post helpful.

I love all the replies!!! I personally have tied stirrups when breaking in a new saddle, of course the string could break, but it helped for that period of time.

As far as the warm up arena I have dealt with some scenarios that are frustrating.

This one I feel for them but still scare me- amateur child or adult jumper classic warm up , a lot have the hard eye all I can think about is this big class.

The next which is far and few is the professional who has so much more to do and so much more important they must plow you over and not use correct body language to let determine where they are going.

Or the social ones who ride in pairs in a small ring and of course they are not in the class you are warming up for pay no attention to the riders trying to ride their fences.

On the other hand I have ridden with some professionals who have had crazy young horses that they were schooling and could do their best to not interfere with anyone else, great respect for them.

I have ridden with other amateurs that were sharp and focused that I would say shoot now they are probably going to woop me and win !!!!!

I guess I appreciate we school at home with a lot of horses and riders in a small ring, it helps you adapt. Even our pony kids are amazing!
    Last edited by sweetpea; Jan. 6, 2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Spelling as usual

IMHO, if someone needed a the "Dummies Book of Warmup Rings" they do not belong at a show yet. But, we all know that too many people are inconsiderate and unsafe when playing with others, sadly.
    Good luck with that. I'm pretty sure the entire warm up ring is full of people that need the "dummies book of warmup rings."
    ---
    They're small hearts.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    I remember her well. National champion I believe. Not sure about being a pro (per se) but she did "move up" to the Prix too. Absurd. I think so now and I thought so then. Why DM (the trainer at the time)let her do that is beyond me.
    From what I understand it became a superstitious thing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    You can hack elsewhere. Or lose that long whip when riding in a crowd just out of consideration for others sharing the same space.
    I know it sounds crazy, but dressage riders have no problems holding longer whips without affecting everyone else in a three mile radius. Not really seeing how this is a "space sharing" issue.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I know it sounds crazy, but dressage riders have no problems holding longer whips without affecting everyone else in a three mile radius. Not really seeing how this is a "space sharing" issue.
    Just because some people have learned to carry a dressage whip, doesn't mean you can count on everyone else to know how to carry one. I've been the subject of more than one pony kid accidentally whipping my horse as I pass.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

You're right, it isn't a "sharing space issue". It's a "some people don't know how to hold/use a whip properly issue". When there's a rule, there are incidences which required that rule to be written. Unfortunately, some times it is better to say "no" to everyone. It would be great (and necessary) if all trainers taught their students how to properly hold and use a whip/crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    You would be surprised... There was a pretty well-known amateur (and later on pro, I think) in the South who did the High A/Os and Prixes with a rubber band around her stirrups. She was a very nice and very successful rider so it always puzzled me.
    I kind of wonder if you are referring to a lady I rode with over ten years ago right after I turned 14. She got in a 15.1 hand appendix mare that was a solid 4' jumper, but the best rider she had at the time was me because it was summer break and her better riders either showed their own horses or were on summer vaction (she was too big for the horse and needed a smaller kid to ride her). I was a solid 3' rider... definitely not 4', but she needed me to show the horse to get her sold and I had no fear so I was all about showing 4'. I spent 3 weeks schooling 4' before the show and she rubber banded my feet to the stirrups so I wouldn't kill myself at the show. We ended up doing well, but I was definitely only there for looks because the mare did everything on her own and I only had to point her to the next jump.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I kind of wonder if you are referring to a lady I rode with over ten years ago right after I turned 14. She got in a 15.1 hand appendix mare that was a solid 4' jumper, but the best rider she had at the time was me because it was summer break and her better riders either showed their own horses or were on summer vaction (she was too big for the horse and needed a smaller kid to ride her). I was a solid 3' rider... definitely not 4', but she needed me to show the horse to get her sold and I had no fear so I was all about showing 4'. I spent 3 weeks schooling 4' before the show and she rubber banded my feet to the stirrups so I wouldn't kill myself at the show. We ended up doing well, but I was definitely only there for looks because the mare did everything on her own and I only had to point her to the next jump.
    No, Jumphigh83 correctly identified the rider I was referring to—she showed in the High A/O and the Grand Prix on a national level, not just the 1.20 m. Her primary horse was Thoroughbred.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    No, Jumphigh83 correctly identified the rider I was referring to—she showed in the High A/O and the Grand Prix on a national level, not just the 1.20 m. Her primary horse was Thoroughbred.
    The lady I am referring to showed Grand Prix with her feet rubber banded to the stirrups, I'm the one who did 1.20 m with my feet rubber banded to the stirrups on her sale horse. Her horse was a grey TB mare (back then). I doubt she was a national champion though so probably a different person. I was just surprised there were two trainers doing GPs in the south with their feet rubber banded to the stirrups.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013