The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rule gurus tieing stirrups?

So a friend and I were discussing whether you could show in jumpers with your stirrups . She said it has be be simple string , that could break and wasn't sure could you tie stirrup leather or iron. I didn't think it was legal but she thought it was okay in jumpers ? Help the debate please

If your leg is sufficiently insecure that you would need or want to tie your stirrups, why on earth would you walk into a show ring?

Sorry for the snark, but really...

23 members found this post helpful.

Not allowed. There is a rule somewhere in the depths of the USEF rule book addressing tied stirrups.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool Why why why ??

I asked specifically about the ruling.
    Please I don't want to bore everyone with how the topic came up , just figured if anyone knew the ruling that would be great.
    No need to apologize didn't think it was snarky just a little quick to hit the post reply button

Not legal.

What, Google is broken this morning? Here: http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBook/rules.aspx -> Rule Book -> 2013 Rules and then to the Jumper Division:

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2013/18-JP.pdf
    It's on page 10
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Thanks so much!!! While I was there I was able to see another ?

Was at a big show just flatting and the in guy who does check in wanted to give me heads up on flatting with a whip longer than 30cm. So I knew you could not school over fences or show in ring with one but never heard about just hacking.

The rule is no schooling over fences or in the ring showing.
    Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    ... a whip longer than 30cm....
    Sorry to be a nitnoid, but 30 cm is just under a foot. The rule is 30" (75cm)
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

"nitnoid" -- What a great word!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Thanks so much!!! While I was there I was able to see another ?

Was at a big show just flatting and the in guy who does check in wanted to give me heads up on flatting with a whip longer than 30cm. So I knew you could not school over fences or show in ring with one but never heard about just hacking.

The rule is no schooling over fences or in the ring showing.
    Thanks for the link
    Well the gate guy is taking responsiblity for following the rules, which is nice and something we all whine they don't do enough of. But he is not going to follow you around the official show schooling ring to make sure you do not jump with it and many in that same ring will be jumping so he was right to bring that to your attention. In excess of 30" is kind of long to be hacking in a crowded ring that can get disorganized with anyway.

You can hack elsewhere. Or lose that long whip when riding in a crowd just out of consideration for others sharing the same space.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    You can hack elsewhere. Or lose that long whip when riding in a crowd just out of consideration for others sharing the same space.
    "Out of consideration"? I hack my horses in crowded warm-up rings with a dressage whip (110cm - 43") and never bothered anyone with it.

Thinking of it, it actually helped me keep some unruly horses at safe distance more than once. JMHO, uncontroled, speedy and lunatic riders are way more annoying than a longer whip.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    "Out of consideration"? I hack my horses in crowded warm-up rings with a dressage whip (110cm - 43") and never bothered anyone with it. .
    I was going to say the same thing. but the rider needs to know how to carry a long whip.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. but the rider needs to know how to carry a long whip.
    I prefer when they know how to ride!

Default 30 cm ha ha I can't believe I wrote that!!

As far as flatting around others never had that issue , my goodness if your that close to me I will growl!!! Anyways with or without a whip consideration of others is a great thing . I wish someone would do a dummy book of how to ride in the warm up ring , they could make lots of $$$$$.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

IMHO, if someone needed a the "Dummies Book of Warmup Rings" they do not belong at a show yet. But, we all know that too many people are inconsiderate and unsafe when playing with others, sadly.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    If your leg is sufficiently insecure that you would need or want to tie your stirrups, why on earth would you walk into a show ring?

Sorry for the snark, but really...
    You would be surprised... There was a pretty well-known amateur (and later on pro, I think) in the South who did the High A/Os and Prixes with a rubber band around her stirrups. She was a very nice and very successful rider so it always puzzled me.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Tell that to Hans Gunther Winkler on Halla!!

I am not endorsing tieing your stirrup, but there are plenty of competent riders who have done it.
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Tell that to Hans Gunther Winkler on Halla!!

I am not endorsing tieing your stirrup, but there are plenty of competent riders who have done it.
    Dude, I did it once and thought my lower leg had been ripped off at the knees! I'm sure this means I do something horrible with my leg, but YOWZA, it hurt. I decided I'd rather have a position fault and keep my cruciate ligaments intact.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

4 members found this post helpful.

I understand and appreciate the value of tying stirrups (having spent a whole winter with them tied)... I just don't think it's appropriate for the show ring. YMMV.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    You would be surprised... There was a pretty well-known amateur (and later on pro, I think) in the South who did the High A/Os and Prixes with a rubber band around her stirrups. She was a very nice and very successful rider so it always puzzled me.
    I remember her well. National champion I believe. Not sure about being a pro (per se) but she did "move up" to the Prix too. Absurd. I think so now and I thought so then. Why DM (the trainer at the time)let her do that is beyond me.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.