The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you take care of your saddle?

I have a calf grain CWD saddle that I've had for about a year.
    Im just wondering how you guys clean and care for your saddle during the winter months? It gets pretty cold here but we don't get tons of snow either, its just super wet
    Im lucky I ride in an indoor though, so no problem about getting my saddle wet from rain, which is nice.
    Also, what brand of soap and conditioner do you use?
    I have the CWD glycerine soap and conditioner which I love-- but not sure how often to use either of them during the winter.
    TIA!

I have a grain CWD, and have similar sort of weather around here from the sounds of it.

Personally, I really don't like the CWD glycerine soap. Can't really say why, it just doesn't do it for me. I use Bar in a Jar glycerine soap, or the Fiebings Saddle Soap, both of which are fantastic in my opinion. I'd say I do the soap anywhere from every day to at least once a week. Particularly if the saddle has been out in the rain at all. However, I LOVE the CWD Conditioner. I'd say I use it probably once a month, whenever the saddle is beginning to look a little tired.

Clean more or less depending on how hard you are on the saddle. My saddle is about 9 months old, and when I've cleaned and conditioned it I'd say it looks brand new.

During winter I ride mostly indoors with the accompanying dust. My saddle is a Toulouse Jennine which has calfskin seat and skirt and calf covered flaps.

I brush off as much dust as I can after every ride using a horsehair shoe shine brush. About once a month I'll wipe down the dust accumulation using Lexol leather cleaner wipes. About every three to four months I'll bring it home and do a deep cleaning using Effax Leather Cream Soap. Then I condition with Fiebings Aussie Leather Conditioner, working the flaps more than anything else.

I have Stubbens so I use their Hammanol a few times a year. I also waterproof my saddles with either mink oil or Australian Leather Keep. My saddles get wiped down couple times a month with just a barely damp rag just to knock the dust and grime off.

I try to remove the dust after every ride.
    I do a good cleaning every 2 weeks.
    I condition as much as needed, usually after I clean it.

I use
    Stubben leather soap.

Belvoir leather balsam for darkening or pretty dry/rougher leather parts (underneath the saddle's flaps)

Hennig leather balsam when I DON'T want to darken the leather! My dressage saddle is kind of light brown and I want it to stay that way as long as it can! This is so far the best balsam I've ever used.

And when the leather need to be deeply oiled, I use neat's foot oil. (Our Delgrange representative gives it for free when needed - well to those who bought a nee Delgrange saddle!)

I have a Hermes. While I dream of sending it to Paris to have it perfectly cleaned, tuned up etc., I usually just wipe it down when it needs it and give it a good cleaning once a month, We don't have a ring so it doesn't get dusty riding. I use traditional old saddle soap. I don't really believe in using all the new foams and special soaps.

When I do give it a good cleaning though I break out a tooth brush, some good oil and its a 2 to 4 day process cleaning, re cleaning, light oil, letting it soak that up, then re-oiling.