The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hair Loss in Boston Terrier

About 8 months ago I rescued a 5 year old Boston Terrier female that was a breeding dog for a crap backyard breeder who keeps his dogs in a barn type setting (not pets, not in house). When I got her she was still intact and had just weaned her last litter. She had been having puppies since she was 8 months old according to the breeder. She had these patches of hair missing all along both sides of her body. Nowhere else. He coat was a bit dull and she was filthy and stunk to high heavens (Bostons usually don't smell at all). When I took her to my vet's to have her spayed she said it was caused by stress. After a few months on good food and tlc the patched filled in and she now has a beautiful, shiny coat.

So the other day I see the same breeder is dumping the above girl's daughter. I of course cannot stand the thought of where she might end up (or the thought that she was living in the same conditions as her mother ) and so I went and got her. She also has these exact same missing hair patches but even more so than her mother. I am guessing they will go away but does anyone know what this is from?? If it is from stress then what about stress would cause this and why just patches on the side of the body?

Neither of the dogs were/are itchy or scratching at all. The skin doesn't appear irritated at all.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

The first thoughts that popped into my mind were hormones, nursing puppies rubbing out the coat, or hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    The first thoughts that popped into my mind were hormones, nursing puppies rubbing out the coat, or hormones.
    Thanks for the response. They said the new girl hasn't had pups for at least six months.....would the effects of pups/pregnancy last this long?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.