The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default One man's "solution" to the JB/GFF case at the Marin Humane Society this morning

I attended a general volunteer orientation at the Marin County Humane Society this morning. At the beginning of the orientation, the lady mentioned the Jill Burnell case (not by name, but I knew what she was talking about...), saying that they have taken possession of 1 horse and there about 30 others that they are watching over... etc. This was while she was talking about what kind of animals they deal with, just to give us an example.

Later on, she was going over euthanasia with us, and what kinds of situations warrant euthanizing an animal in their care. This man raises his hand, and this conversation ensues:
    Man: Do you ever consider, like with the farm animals, just letting them go into the wild, rather than putting them down? That's something I would consider.
    The lady is caught very off-guard with this question, and handles it pretty well. After a moment of silent shock, she explains how this would cause the animals unnecessary suffering and that they would most likely die long and painful deaths.
    The man responds: Well, okay, I don't mean the domesticated animals like dogs and cats, but like farm animals. Like these horses. Why not just let them go, and let them go back to the Great Mother?
    The lady is very put off by this question, I am sitting there with my jaw dropped open, and generally everyone in the room is slightly disgusted.... Then she simply says "They are NOT wild animals. They would not survive" and then moves on before he can ask another question down that line!

I hope he never owns a horse!

4 members found this post helpful.

Lol... you gotta love the Bay Area.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

1 members found this post helpful.

Two horses were seized so far, one is hospitalized. Other than that, I agree, releasing a horse into the "wild" is likely to be a death sentence.

Ignorance of farm animals is everywhere.

I attend countless town hall meetings, etc and the general public is woefully ignorant when it comes to anything other than what they keep inside their homes for pets.

Tons of college educated people here assume cows, swine and chickens are incapable of feeling pain, but agree that goats, sheep and horses can.
    Entire reasoning behind that is that we eat the first set and the second set is cute.
    Not kidding.

43 people at one meeting asserted that cremating cows is safe, but cremating horses would cause toxic smoke clouds. One of the people asserting that is a professor at YALE.
    No really...wish I were kidding.

3 goats escaped a livestock auction and were loose in the town next to me for a little over a year. (billy and 2 nannies) Lots of attempts to catch them. Especially when they took up residence on a golf course, LOL! Town hall in that town dedicated one meeting to townies crabbing that they needed to catch those goats ASAP to keep the children safe...as it was no longer safe to let the kids walk to the bus at the end of their driveways with loose goats around.

This is a farming town that has the state's biggest and oldest Ag Fair annually. The town's known for dairy...the town symbol is a cow. But the citiots moving in...yeesh.

THIS is why everyone who can spare a free night once a month needs to get off their arses and join their local horseman's councils, Ag councils, etc. Heck, even if you don't have a spare night, join anyway. The teeny amoount of dues and the extra names is a HUGE help.

Help save us all from the people afraid of toxic horses and children-eating goats.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

12 members found this post helpful.

Such is what happens when society becomes disconnected from the countryside.

6 members found this post helpful.

Reminds me of the child that sets fish free by dropping them down the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    Lol... you gotta love the Bay Area.
    Ignorance only occurs in the Bay Area?

3 members found this post helpful.

The Great Mother... oh boy. This is when I really miss the rolly-eye-ball emoticon.

I suppose turning horses loose in the wild might result in a few surviving, it's obviously happened before. And pigs, heck there are a lot of feral pigs as a result of pigs gone wild. But the few that survived would not justify the rest that don't make it. Maybe that's what we should do with kids in foster homes, set them free, er, I mean return them to the Great Mother. See if they make it. idjits.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyBayMare View Post
    Ignorance only occurs in the Bay Area?
    No. It just concentrates itself there.

There's plenty of extremely intelligent people there. Many of them do not live in the same world as the rest of us

Northern California born and bred... I know of which I speak.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

2 members found this post helpful.

A teacher at a local school didn't know horses eat grass. She thought all those horses with their heads down were just sniffing the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    No. It just concentrates itself there.

There's plenty of extremely intelligent people there. Many of them do not live in the same world as the rest of us

Northern California born and bred... I know of which I speak.
    Clearly you've not been to Kentucky. People DO turn their horses out into the "wild".
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

They have a lot better chance of surviving in KY where the grass gets rained on every summer and grows. I'm Norcal bred and born also, from Marin no less. We started specializing in woo-woo craziness, back when I was a kid. Ignorance we've always had.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Clearly you've not been to Kentucky. People DO turn their horses out into the "wild".
    Only carefully filtered bits of it... My wife was born there and we're down there semi-frequently....

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    They have a lot better chance of surviving in KY where the grass gets rained on every summer and grows. I'm Norcal bred and born also, from Marin no less. We started specializing in woo-woo craziness, back when I was a kid. Ignorance we've always had.
    Born in Pleasanton back when Hopyard had hop yards. Moved around the BA most of my childhood then to the foothills... And back to the coast when I turned 18...

Quote Originally Posted by Frivian View Post

I hope he never owns a horse!
    Or a bird, fish, hermit crab.
    Holy horseshoes! I would not trust this guy to take care of a pet rock.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    And pigs, heck there are a lot of feral pigs as a result of pigs gone wild.
    And even when they make it in the wild, such as pigs, the results to "The Great Mother" are not all that stellar. Feral pigs are incredibly destructive and incredibly "fertile" and due to that many states have classified them as vermin instead of game. Which means that they can be killed indiscriminately with no season or limits.
    Last edited by caballero; Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

When we get done eviscerating this nincompoop, here's a thought -- has anyone with, say, a 4-H background, or a large animal vet, or someone with a broad and well-informed familiarity with farm type animals ever think to offer an "Intro to Domestic Non-House Pets" to Humane Societies and the like? There are many folks who truly are unacquainted with the needs and basics of interacting with and caring for farm animals, including horses. And they are not all hostile to facts.

Just a thought.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

4 members found this post helpful.

I live in a DC suburb, and you should have heard my neighbors wailing after one of them saw a fox (at dusk) run across a backyard. A fox! Oh noooooooooooooooo! The kids aren't safe! It's going to eat a toddler and run off with baby! It's going to break into our homes!
    Not a mangy fox standing ground and licking its lips while contemplating a meal of fresh baby, but a big fluffy dog fox that went tearing across the yard with a rabbit back into the woods.
    Just dumb.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    I live in a DC suburb, and you should have heard my neighbors wailing after one of them saw a fox (at dusk) run across a backyard. A fox! Oh noooooooooooooooo! The kids aren't safe! It's going to eat a toddler and run off with baby! It's going to break into our homes!
    Suggest hunting them and watch the citiots get their underwear into a even bigger bunch.

Lori B I think that is a great idea. We are here in KY, Horse capitol blah blah, but there is just as much ignorance here as anywhere else insofar as what constitutes good horse care. I'm happy with my neighbors, but they have an unlovely barbed wire fence and seriously overfeed. Still they are on the high side of horse care, feet are done regularly,good quality hay, regular deworming, never seen an unattended injury, horses happy.

The question is how to get people to sign up for such a thing - the ones most in need don't know what they don't know.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible